• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Hurricanes Round 11 (ANZAC Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Remember the normal match thread rules apply.

Massive challenge for the Reds to take on the Canes who will be looking to bounce back from their defeat to the Tahs. Reds on the end of a big road trip that took its toll from an injury perspective.

Some ANZAC relative initiatives from the QRU:

• commemorative ANZAC themed jersey (nice and discrete) to be auctioned post match for the Mates4Mates charity.
  • Ben Daley's headgear charity will be the same.
  • Curtain raiser will be 7th Brigade v 16th Brigade
  • pre-match march to the match lead by a marching Australian Army band, mounted horses of the 2nd/14th light horse regiment and serving soldiers. Any fans who have served, or with serving family, are invited to march as well.
The whole comp is getting behind it this year, with a bit more coordination (and fox sport's support) which should make each match a special occasion.
Back on to the field. It will be interesting to see who is back from injury.
Is McDuling gone for multiple games? Horwill and Simmons likely to start regardless.
Are Tui and Beau back yet? I suspect not.
JJ Tualagi a shot? Is he a better option at 15 than Hunt? I'd think so.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Good to hear about the events being put on. Making it a family outing and my daughter's first Reds game. Looking forward to it.

What to do with Hunt? Maybe put him at 12 if JJ is back. FTA wasn't great and Kerevi has done ok but I'd prefer him wider.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I have a feeling that the only change for this game will be the Ant beginning at 12 and Kerevi going to 13. Adam Korczyk will play at 6 for Curtis Browning (injured).
Other than that the team will remain unchanged (IMHO).
Maybe we could have 70 minutes of scrummaging.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
ANZAC weekend, Sunday arvo footy, and a Reds team coming off a win in South Africa. Pretty much the perfect recipe for an upset.

Canes by 5.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Can't tell if you're serious or not.
So I'll just say that clearly my post was a bit of a joke. My support for the Reds is unwavering but my faith in them is shot to pieces at the moment.
Can't see any way we'll beat the Canes.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Are you most people?

Where's your unwavering faith in this team?
I want them to win. I'll be cheering for them to win. Because I am hopeful.

But they won't win. I am also realistic.

Canes to win by >25.

There needs to be a major shift in the players attitudes from this point forwards. Sure the game plan might be daft, or broken, or non existent (I have no idea), but the players needs to have bodies in motion and multiple options irrespective of whatever they have been practicing. A few have been criticising Hunt, but watch what he is doing off the ball - he is constantly moving and giving the ball carrier an option (look closely at Kerevi's try and you will see defenders had to hold back for the inside ball that could have gone to hunt as well which meant Kerevi only had to run over one defender - proper team effort to yield the try). More players need to be doing it and we won't be so one dimensional. The coach isn't going to fix it, so it is up to the players to realise it and fix it.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
For what it's worth, the bookies have pegged the Hurricanes as -6.5 in the early markets. Surprised me, I was expecting at least a two try spread.

B

Bobby Sands

If Tui can get healthy, he could be a crucial signing. I have not seen much of him, but the cupboard is bare of large-bodied backrowers. I am not in favour of holding back U20s players from the JWC, under almost any circumstances.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If ever there was a game for Horwill , Simmons & Co to draw a line in the sand it's this one ...expecting another big one from Liam and JOC (James O'Connor) seems to be playing his way into some serious form ... acid should be on Karmichael to lift ....The canes are the benchmark ...go get'em boys ...Reds in an upset by 2 ! .... F--k Pride ? No . F--k Marcellis Wallis and continue the revival (is that bipartisan enough?).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok, as a Canes man, I a little worried as I see this as a game that Boyd will rest ABs, can see them playing with no Conrad, PJ, Barrett, Savea and Jane. I think Nonu had his 2 games off early in year. Still plenty of good players, just always a little worry with combinations clicking. Then again I just maybe a nervy old bugger and all will be good, who knows!!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can't tell if you're serious or not.
So I'll just say that clearly my post was a bit of a joke. My support for the Reds is unwavering but my faith in them is shot to pieces at the moment.
Can't see any way we'll beat the Canes.

It was definitely tongue-in-cheek. I probably should have made it a bit clearer.

I honestly don't reckon we'll get within 20.

..but its nice to dream, right?.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
lol Scoey, but as I said to one of my mates who said the same thing, but are you red with embarrassment!!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.