• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
gulp:

THE NSW Country Eagles are hoping to get better support from the Waratahs than last year, when the franchise charged them $30,000 to use the club’s training facilities.
The massive fee led to the Eagles recording a $200,000 deficit in the inaugural National Rugby Championship season.
The Eagles are lobbying to get more love from new Waratahs chief executive Greg Harris than his predecessor Jason Allen.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Saw that this morning, amazing that the waratahs would be so churlish about helping out what is effectively a feeder team for them. I understand they may have been hesitant to spend money on them (though still think it's short sighted) but to charge them to use a training facility seems ridiculous. Does anyone know if it would have otherwise been in use or if they were just looking to profit however they could?

Hopefully Harris brings some sanity to precedings.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Interesting reading the team sheets over the past few weeks from the Galloping Greens & Beasties. Noticed a few of the Aus U20's boys getting up into grade. Based on the 2014 model, will the country side be stacked full of Aus U20 reps this season, as all Aus U20 reps from 2014 were given a start in one of the NRC franchises?

If so, country are going to be giving up 8 or 9 places in their squad, potentially to a few boys who haven't even cracked their Shute Shield side? How do we suppose the Eagles will handle this one?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting reading the team sheets over the past few weeks from the Galloping Greens & Beasties. Noticed a few of the Aus U20's boys getting up into grade. Based on the 2014 model, will the country side be stacked full of Aus U20 reps this season, as all Aus U20 reps from 2014 were given a start in one of the NRC franchises?

If so, country are going to be giving up 8 or 9 places in their squad, potentially to a few boys who haven't even cracked their Shute Shield side? How do we suppose the Eagles will handle this one?

Well put Hans.
The Eagles aren't the only ones with dilemmas.
Imagine being that player that is going well in First Grade yet is likely to be overlooked for an Under 20 Rock Star that has yet to be tested with the constant grind of 1st Grade.
Might be some changes in allegiances before the season starts. The Eagles commitment to Randwick & the Beasties seemed arbitrary at times. IMO the players should go where they have some certainty of opportunity insofar as the NRC is concerned.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Easts and Randwick have also picked some Rams stars in McKenzie and Faleali'i. I wonder if they will now play for the Eagles.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
The rams appears to be stocked up heavily. Will be interesting to see if the ARU come in and essentially draft out the Aus U20's evenly across the 4 NRC sides in sydney (and same in Brisvegas), removing any ties to the NRC sides? Or will the NRC sides be able to knock back the boys they don't feel are up to it?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The Eagles are the only team who seem to have a dispensation to attract players from other Shute Shield clubs due to their country links. I know a few Manly players played for the Rams and a Souths player played for the stars but by and large everyone stuck to their respective teams except those who chose to represent Country. What might happen if Easts and Randwick become too strong is that less country players in the shute shield offer their services to the Eagles.

It is hard to imagine that all 7 U20s from Easts and Randwick will get a start but I don't think they'll go somewhere else. Hanigan and Kellaway will be playing for sure, Newsome, Hutchison and Deegan might get a bench spot at some point but I doubt Tui and Kamp will break into the match day squad this year.

Eagles backline: Faleali'i (or if he continues to play for Rams Angus Pulver), Horwitz, Kellaway, Lance, Carraro, McKenzie (or Hutchison if he continues to play for Rams) and Pat Delit (Maybe Deegan or Newsome or Will Paterson form Easts) They're spoiled for choices really.

T

TOCC

Surely the Waratahs can see how it's an investment in their own future to support the NRC teams and not charge the NRC teams to use their facilities... The lack of support from the NSWRU/Warstahs in the inaugural season needs to be fixed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
The Eagles are the only team who seem to have a dispensation to attract players from other Shute Shield clubs due to their country links. I know a few Manly players played for the Rams and a Souths player played for the stars but by and large everyone stuck to their respective teams except those who chose to represent Country. What might happen if Easts and Randwick become too strong is that less country players in the shute shield offer their services to the Eagles.

It is hard to imagine that all 7 U20s from Easts and Randwick will get a start but I don't think they'll go somewhere else. Hanigan and Kellaway will be playing for sure, Newsome, Hutchison and Deegan might get a bench spot at some point but I doubt Tui and Kamp will break into the match day squad this year.

Eagles backline: Faleali'i (or if he continues to play for Rams Angus Pulver), Horwitz, Kellaway, Lance, Carraro, McKenzie (or Hutchison if he continues to play for Rams) and Pat Delit (Maybe Deegan or Newsome or Will Paterson form Easts) They're spoiled for choices really.
Hi jagman - have you any thoughts on the forwards as yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Forwards might be something like: Metcher, Mann-Rea, Ala'alatoa, Matwijow, Chapman, Hanigan, Hoiles, Gray. Though Will Miller will probably be the openside flanker again. Ilnicki will probably be playing for Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do we take it as read that the Beasties and Wicks will be remain "loosely associated" with the Eagles, and that the Wicks have set aside ambitions to go it alone in NRC?

I think that the situation with the Stars shows the pitfall associated with a single Premier Rugby Club trying to stand alone at the next level.

With many clubs not having Wet Weather Catch Up games to play this weekend it would be an ideal opportunity to have a sly NRC franchise training run, or strategy and logistics camp.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
HJ - have not heard any whispers about the Beasties or the Wicks going it alone. Am interested how the sqad might look this year. Last year there were 33 players selected plus a development squad. That did not stop the coaching staff from drafting in extras. There have been a few retirements plus a fe people moving away.

Is anyone even sure the Country Eagles are going again this year? I heard they lost a motza last year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought part of the franchise arrangements locked down during the tender process last year was that the "owners" were sufficiently financial stable that they could afford to lose a motza or two.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
The only way to end up with a small fortune out of sport is to start with a large one.

Have seen that the Eagles have announced Elders as a sponsor which is a good fit and a good achievment for the management team.

See some of the franchises have announced squads. Obviously no noise out of the Eagles nest as yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.