• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Highlanders Friday 24 April GIO Stadium Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan

Alfred Walker (16)
Just rewatching the game this morning after being out there last night - Coleman had an absolute shocker. Best at Wing or Fullback, not 12.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
To be fair, it's been some time since he's played there for the Brumbies but has been fairly solid this year and been great for the Brumbies over the years, playing in a variety of positions.

It was another centres pairing for the Brumbies too after Ah Wong/Speight last week.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I commented above about players joining the Brumbies' rolling maul in front of Poey, but exactly the same thing happened with the Highlanders' maul from which they scored as well. As noted by Cyclopath, most teams do it and it probably is not according to the laws.

Maybe the answer is that once the maul is formed (ie the ball is held by the player at the back), no-one else is permitted to join.

Some points about the Brumbies' game that I applaud.

The rolling maul was only used inside 10m from the tryline, ie it was it was used as a try-scoring move, not just to win a penalty.

The majority of kicks from the Brumbies' red zone were long and sent the Clan back into their own half. Some even found touch well into the opposition half, thanks largely to Moggy's huge boot. Quick throw in by the opposition is immaterial. They will overwhelmingly win the lineout anyway wherever it is contested.

More willingness to run the ball back after an opposition kick. Wingers supplied good support to Moggy though he seemed to want to run the ball himself rather than use them. But bloody great to see the amount of kicking cut right down.

Very few box kicks. Can only remember Dowsett putting one up, which went into touch on the full so it wasn't a good one.

Scrums were very meh. Brumbies seemed to be free kicked or penalised in most; including a couple of early shoves and three or four hinging or collapsing. One scrum the ball was held at the back for a penalty to the Brumbies, and another was held until the ref called them to use it. Thought JP should have been replaced by late in the first half as it was obvious he was the (only) target for the ref in ruling on the scrums. Ben A could have come on at LH if it was thought Alan A wasn't yet up to such a long period of play at this level. Could then have swapped when Ruan left later in the game (assuming he wasn't replaced early due to injury).

Best for the Brumbies were Poey, Fardy and Vaea. TK was good for his first game back from injury. Christian and Dowsett were both better than last week. Henry looks better at wing. Moggy was the real surprise given his lack of game time this year. Put in a great effort and didn't shirk any of the tough work. Keep it up.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
With the Lions and Stormers being decent getting a win will be a big ask. Tough couple of games ahead, but if the Brumbies win 2 of those they are in a pretty good position.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What a tool, she obviously doesnt know Pococks character at all.. I think his over the top some times, but he doesn't do things for no reason. he did it for a mate.. we all know now who the tosser is.. and it's her..

Lol funny Poey added the ... at the end of his tweet

I wonder has anyone asked Pocock about how he feels to be a promoter of gambling ..........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I commented above about players joining the Brumbies' rolling maul in front of Poey, but exactly the same thing happened with the Highlanders' maul from which they scored as well. As noted by Cyclopath, most teams do it and it probably is not according to the laws.

Maybe the answer is that once the maul is formed (ie the ball is held by the player at the back), no-one else is permitted to join.
I reckon players can join, behind the ball carrier. The ball can be passed back to a trailing player, but the carrier can't semi-detach and go to the back - it's just obstruction.
This is by no means a go at the Brumbies - they constructed their mauls well, in the manner that many other teams do, and fair play. Why would you do otherwise at the moment?
I wish the referees would look at this to make the maul some sort of contest, which it currently mostly is not. It just seems anathema to me that they're letting this facet become an uncontestable and almost undefendable part of the game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ of all the ELV's they canned I believe the one allowing a maul to be pulled down is the one they should've kept. Our game is supposed to be about contesting possession which can't happen in the case of a rolling maul. It also encourages guys having their heads attacked, which isn't really on, either.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It raises a pet hate of mine: the number of times the maul becomes legalised obstruction for the attacking team. I'm not against the maul per se and the way the Brumbies constructed it last night was fantastic, but someone grabbing a jersey at the back with the ball in their hand and it not being called obstruction is ludicrous in my view.

If we're going to allow this we should also allow the defending team to disrupt it more easily.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I reckon players can join, behind the ball carrier. The ball can be passed back to a trailing player, but the carrier can't semi-detach and go to the back - it's just obstruction.
This is by no means a go at the Brumbies - they constructed their mauls well, in the manner that many other teams do, and fair play. Why would you do otherwise at the moment?
I wish the referees would look at this to make the maul some sort of contest, which it currently mostly is not. It just seems anathema to me that they're letting this facet become an uncontestable and almost undefendable part of the game.

I suspect the refs will be instructed next week to keep an eye on the attacking team in rolling mauls after four tries were scored from them in this one match. Teams who are wont to use it will need to have a contingency plan if the first maul results in a penalty against them for doing exactly what they've been able to do unpunished so far this year (and longer).

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It raises a pet hate of mine: the number of times the maul becomes legalised obstruction for the attacking team. I'm not against the maul per se and the way the Brumbies constructed it last night was fantastic, but someone grabbing a jersey at the back with the ball in their hand and it not being called obstruction is ludicrous in my view.

If we're going to allow this we should also allow the defending team to disrupt it more easily.

IMO that's not binding

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I suspect the refs will be instructed next week to keep an eye on the attacking team in rolling mauls after four tries were scored from them in this one match. Teams who are wont to use it will need to have a contingency plan if the first maul results in a penalty against them for doing exactly what they've been able to do unpunished so far this year (and longer).
I think good teams can still construct an effective maul legally, and profit from it. But you're right, they'll need to adapt (maybe) if refs suddenly crack down on joining players.

Status
Not open for further replies.