• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Hurricanes Round 11 (ANZAC Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Far from it.

It's missing Dane Coles, Victor Vito, Nehe-Milner-Skudder, Jason Woodward, Blade Thomson.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Far from it.

It's missing Dane Coles (elbow), Victor Vito (calf), Nehe-Milner-Skudder (calf), Jason Woodward (ankle), Blade Thomson (concussion).

All of those guys are injured. My post was in terms of available players and the likelihood of ABs being rested as a follow up to my earlier post on the topic.

I'm most interested in seeing the Canes lineup. As Dan has mentioned, if Boyd was targeting any game to rest a few of his AB's then I imagine that the Reds fixture would've been looking good.
The Cheetahs rested their one star player though and we snuck home against them so playing back at Suncorp, coming off a win and the Canes off their first loss, it will be interesting to see how Boyd plays this one.

Anyone know when the Canes usually name their team?

EDIT: Afterthought... Savea and Perenara are the Canes equal top try scorers and would be likely omissions if they were resting players I'd imagine.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Scrum, line out.should have them on the ropes early.

They'll cut us to shreds in the midfield

The best thing the Reds could do is:
  1. Try to kick it out as much as possible and use Simmons, Horwill, Thompson and Gill to attack their lineout.
  2. Knock on and regather so that there will be lots of scrums set.
  3. Slow the game down like the Saffers do. Lots of injuries, restarts, scrum collapses, interminable one-out pick and drives.
With no Milner-Skudder the kick down the middle should work OK, as long as the ball is kept away from Savea's wing and there is a good kick-chase. If the kick chase is good this week it'll be the first week it has been. Note that Jane is on the bench too, so that the threats down the other wing are not so pronounced. The ball should be kicked to that side of the field as much as possible.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
We've said it a few times this year but on paper that looks like such a good team. Internationals everywhere.

Such a big gap at 10. Poor Frisby must be so frustrated.

I thought Frisby played quite well in South Africa at 10.
Yes, he played too deep at times, but that was probably in the plan to give him some time. The more he's playing the position the better he is at it.
I'm also impressed with Adam Korczyk at blind side flanker from his appearance last week. Only one game I know, but definitely shows potential.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The best thing the Reds could do is:
  1. Try to kick it out as much as possible and use Simmons, Horwill, Thompson and Gill to attack their lineout.
  2. Knock on and regather so that there will be lots of scrums set.
  3. Slow the game down like the Saffers do. Lots of injuries, restarts, scrum collapses, interminable one-out pick and drives.
With no Milner-Skudder the kick down the middle should work OK, as long as the ball is kept away from Savea's wing and there is a good kick-chase. If the kick chase is good this week it'll be the first week it has been.Note that Jane is on the bench too, so that the threats down the other wing are not so pronounced. The ball should be kicked to that side of the field as much as possible.

I think that this facit of play has been torn out of the Reds training manual:mad:
Or perhaps the backs are just too lazy.

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry not just that page but the whole bloody manual was torn up. :)

I was going to say "what manual"? But last week a secret squirrel told me that the lads had managed a clandestine raid into the (previous) coach's annals. I picture a few of them gathered in the dark under candlelight "so that's what a set piece is! Where's the section on s-t-r-a-t-e-g-y?"

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I was going to say "what manual"? But last week a secret squirrel told me that the lads had managed a clandestine raid into the (previous) coach's annals anus. I picture a few of them gathered in the dark under candlelight "so that's what a set piece is! Where's the section on s-t-r-a-t-e-g-y?"

Chuckle chuckle:D

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm trying to organise three Platinum tickets to the game but Ticketek's website is not particularly helpful - it's telling me that the "best available" seats are in section 324.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't 3 seats available in sections 340, 301, 302, 303 (Platinum section of the Western Stand, near where the players run out). In my experience the Platinum seats are usually the last to sell out.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get better seats? Would I be better off buying them at the gate? Is it possible to call and have someone search through individual sections to find seats?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm trying to organise three Platinum tickets to the game but Ticketek's website is not particularly helpful - it's telling me that the "best available" seats are in section 324.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't 3 seats available in sections 340, 301, 302, 303 (Platinum section of the Western Stand, near where the players run out). In my experience the Platinum seats are usually the last to sell out.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get better seats? Would I be better off buying them at the gate? Is it possible to call and have someone search through individual sections to find seats?

I've had similar problems with the Ticketek system. It offers you the seat it thinks is best available, but you can't get any options. Offered me a seat in bay 35 at the SFS but it was seat A1 right on the fence where you can't see anything and spend the whole game watching the screen.

I've found the only way around this is to go to a Ticketek outlet where you can ask for alternatives and choose the best. My closest outlet is 20 mins drive away but I've found its the only solution.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Is Blade Thomson any relation to Adam? The Reds could do we finals aspirants a huge favour this arvo by putting the Canes to the sword. Metaphorically, of course.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
I've had similar problems with the Ticketek system....

...I've found the only way around this is to go to a Ticketek outlet where you can ask for alternatives and choose the best. My closest outlet is 20 mins drive away but I've found its the only solution.

Thanks Hawko, there's a Westfield 5mins away from me and apparently the Westfield concierge is a Ticketek agency so I'll head down there this morning and see what I can do over the counter.

To be honest I'm tempted to just buy gold tickets and move into the platinum section after the first 15 mins has gone. I had gold membership last season and the platinum members seats were pretty empty for most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.