• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
4 from 5 last week, ruined by Manly pulling one out of the bag in a predicted tough contest.

Round 6 Tips

Eastern Suburbs v Randwick. Wicks are in red hot form and will win this traditional grudge match by a very large margin, > 28 points.

Parramatta v West Harbour. This is going to be close, but with home town advantage, I'm tipping the Mighty 2 Blues to get the chocolates by < 7.

Eastwood v The Bye. I'm predicting the Woodies to win big at Two Up at the North Ryde RSL.

Southern Districts v Manly. MMM will be on a high from last weeks victory over the Highlanders, but the Hobbits will make the MMM work hard for a 10 point victory to the travellers.

Sydney University v Northern Suburbs. The Corporation have named State under 20s players in their 2nds. Overconfidence, or are they planning an ambush? The Corporation were humbled by the Shoremen twice last year, and I'm tipping a repeat performance this year. Should be a cracker of a game and my tip is for a high scoring match with Red and Black winning by < 7.

Warringah v Gordon. Gordon have established themselves as a genuine finals contender with quality players (many of whom will be back in 2016) across the park. Rats have yet to publish a team list, but their results have been very poor so far. The young men from Chatswood Oval will win in a canter by 40+ points.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Randwick to win by +15,local rivalry and heavy conditions to keep things closer than scrapbooks would suggest.
I'm not game to suffer the wrath of @Ryan09 two weeks running,so Parra by not many.
Marlins piggies are performing better than I expected,so they will win in an arm wrestle.
I'm not oversold on Uni ATM,so maybe Norths by a couple.
Gordon will beat the human bye by a multiple of the standard 28 points unfortunately.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Randwick to win by +15,local rivalry and heavy conditions to keep things closer than scrapbooks would suggest.
I'm not game to suffer the wrath of @Ryan09 two weeks running,so Parra by not many.
Marlins piggies are performing better than I expected,so they will win in an arm wrestle.
I'm not oversold on Uni ATM,so maybe Norths by a couple.
Gordon will beat the human bye by a multiple of the standard 28 points unfortunately.
"The human bye" Ouch. That will hurt.
I reckon Uni might have the goods. But as you say, Norths rolled them last year. It will be a big one to watch.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Both Yassmin and Dunbar are only 1 point players. Neither was a State Schoolboy rep, therefore their base points are 2 and as they are in their second year with The Corporation, they get a 1 point local discount for previous service.

The Player Points system does not "penalise" for making State U20 team. Probably because it is a rather new phenomena, only its second year. Maybe it should.

Even if there was a penalty for making State U20's, the penalty will be applied to those players next season, not when they are selected for the U20's (State or National).

Fish and Kane are 2 player point Wingers for The Corporation. Little points advantage to bring on a 1 point player (as a 0 point "not fresh" reserve) to replace them.

Loosies in the team list are Summerhayes (6) and McCalman (5). Again not a lot of Points system rorting going on to take a >4 point player off to replace them with a 1 point player (as 0 point "non fresh" reserve.)

Given the way the Player points system works, there is no real player points tactical advantage to be obtained by not starting Yassmin and Dunbar in the 1's.

The above argument is based solely on player points value, not player abilities.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Eastwood Colts teams v Penrith today at Emu Park. (Grade and Colts bit at Penrith). 1st colts have The Bye.

1bf548d3732742e9efc88f4c004e4d87.jpg

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Eastwood match reports from last week v parramatta at Merrylands.

Colts 1

On a pleasant afternoon last Saturday 18th April Eastwood 1st Grade Colts team ventured down to Granville Park now named Merrylands RSL Park. Commonly known as Death Valley for us older players, coaches and spectators to match ourselves against the old enemy, Parramatta Two Blues.

A match that was very frustrating right from the outset. Parramatta set about frustrating us and putting pressure on us by pushing the advantage line, swamping the breakdown and using the blind at every opportunity. We didn't react quickly enough to some of their attacking plays.

Clearly the better team we never found ourselves getting out of, at best 2nd gear.

Our basic skills of catch and pass struggled as passes didn't stick and players took poor options. Inconsistencies our achilles heel at present. > As coach Walsh had stated at training during the week, this was going to be a match in which it would be a won by a difference to either team of no more than seven points. For his clairvoyant skills he was correct to the digit.

We didn't take our opportunities and put pressure on ourselves by playing catch up football for the majority of the match. To the positive, there were parts of the match where Eastwood certainly showed some entertaining football. It was good solid play particularly when players switched on and ran a few unders lines and straightened play up. Our ability to counter and seize on our oppositions mistakes was of a high standard. We need to see more of that week in, week out!

At crucial times during the match, 50/50 passes were pushed, when they didn't need to be thrown and for long periods we played the match in our own half.

To our oppositions credit they used their strength of a big pack of forwards to their advantage and this wore us down. In the first half our line-out kept us in the match both in attack and defence. Parramatta flooded
the breakdown and forced us to make numerous tackles and I would think in reflection 2 or 3 times the amount of tackles to the total we made on the day. This crucial fact was probably the difference between the two teams as on a number of occasions the opposition were able to worked the play to middle of the field before using the blind. Each time valuable metres were gained by Parramatta. This control of possession told in the end.

As the game wore on there were replacements made by Eastwood with a number players getting their first run in 1st Grade Colts. match for the season. The replacements included Jackson Unmack, Matt Bartholomew, Zac Simpson, Lachlan Croese, Will McManus, Liam Northbridge and Zac Heron. This addition in fresh players added enthusiasm and urgency in our play lifting the Woodies performance. > We swept in for a great team try during this period. Then there was a > period of 10 minutes when we were solid on attack. Then unfortunately one of our replacements Jackson Unmack was hurt suffering an injury to his leg.This injury caused a 4 or 5 minute stoppage in play. The momentum was lost and so the match.

Again so bloody close.

This week saw us improving across the park. Another victory is not far away!

We will continue to evaluate our processes, training schedule, methods and work on our basic skills of catch and pass, tackle technique and defensive patterns as we aim to improve.

Gents Hang in there!!!

Practice, practice, practice

Best and Fairest
3. Mark Quadrio
2. Joshua Nohra
1. Lachlan Burland

Colts 2

Eastwood 12- Parramatta 24
2nds took the field knowing vital points were on offer, with 2 from 4, and the only chance to take points from Parramatta in the competition round. From the whistle, 2nds were able to apply pressure, and by the 5 minute mark had managed to get the ball over the line 3 times, without achieving vital ball grounding. As the game unfolded, whilst hit ups were gaining valuable metres, Lachlan Croese executed a deft kick over the Parra defensive line which Cameron Daniels seized upon and beat the last Parra defenders to cross over for another well-deserved try, Woods 7-0. Just prior to the break, the Parra pick and drive machine, broke through, half time 7-7.

The second half saw the game deteriorate to each side matching capability in scrappy play. Infringements at the wrong end of the field allowed Parramatta to capitalise on at times, Woods loose defence around our try line, Woods 7-21. 2nds similarly counted off the back of Parra infringements, and quick thinking from Jordan Gillespie, found Sam McCaffrey who outpaced the Parra defence, Woods 12-21.

The last 5 minutes were the game low point, error rate went up, wrong field position, continued infringements and the 2nd yellow card for the day allowed Parra to take the points, closing with a PG in front.

Woods try scorers – Cameron Daniels, Sam McCaffrey
Conversions – Lachlan Croese (2)

B&F Points
3 Jordan Gillespie
2 Sam McCaffrey
1 Nareg Nazarian

Players Player – Lachlan Croese

Special thanks to Stephen Daniels who kindly assisted as 2nds Manager for the day.

Colts 3

Eastwood 33 defeated Parramatta 22

This week was another major step forward, with too many players to squeeze onto the bench, meaning several good club men missed out on a game. So again we used the full allotment of 25 players and we secured our second successive bonus point victory. We asserted our superiority quite early and never looked like surrendering the lead, but the Parra boys kept coming at us with large, powerful human beings who were very difficult to stop; so we had a pretty tough test and passed with credit.

Flanker Nathan Watson raced in from a lineout 30 metres out and Number 8 Daniel Ryan also scored in a game in which he excelled in the tight play and had a tremendous workrate. Lock Tim Anstee won Players’ Player for his non-stop effort and was instrumental in his own try by handling three times and making a telling break in the lead-up. This was undoubtedly the team’s try of the season so far, with many players handling and impressive support play. The other outstanding feature of forward play was the scrummaging, in which all players exhibited excellent technique and outscrummed their much bigger opponents.

In the backs, centre Tom Graham turned in his usual all-round display and winger Tom Koodrin was sharp and incisive with a large number of involvements. He scored a try and set one up for his mate Jonas Williams at 13.

Whilst the defence was brittle at times and requires much more structure and toughness, it was a mostly improved performance and this squad of players is starting to develop much more confidence, spirit and consistency.

Nathan Watson, Daniel Ryan, Tim Anstee, Jonas Williams, Tom Koodrin Tries, Ryan Jensen 4 Goals.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Match previews for Eastwood Colts v Penrith (1s have The Bye)

Colts 1
Colts 1 get the Bye this week, which is been treated as a forfeit this year. That means they get a 28 – 0 win recorded for the Round and five points added to their total. They are sitting in seventh place, five points behind Southern Districts and six behind Manly – who play each other this weekend.

Colts 2
Colts 2 couldn't make it three from three when the winless Parramatta side beat them 24 – 12. This week it is Penrith's most successful side so far this year who will provide the opposition. Penrith held Manly to a 32 all draw when they met back in Round 2. Their last two Rounds however have been somewhat disappointing against two of the top sides including last week's 0 – 97 loss to Randwick. Again, it is unknown what impact the withdrawal of their Colts 1 side will have on their Colts 2 team.
Eastwood will need to put their loss to Parramatta behind them as they go for their third win of the season. They are currently sitting in seventh place just four points behind Eastern Suburbs who play competition leaders Randwick this week. With Southern Districts taking on Manly a win to the Woodies will consolidate their position on the ladder.

Colts 3
Colts 3 got things off to a great start with their second win in a row defeating Parramatta 33 – 22 scoring five tries in the process. The win and their second bonus point has shot them up into sixth place on the ladder. This weekend the teams either side of them, Manly and Southern Districts, clash and a win to Manly could see Eastwood pass Souths on the ladder. But we can't get ahead of ourselves. We need to concentrate on the task at hand which is our game against Penrith. The Penrith side has two bonus points from narrow losses to Manly and Souths. Last week they went down 0 – 33 to Randwick who beat us 10- 24 in Round 1.
The recent withdrawal of their Colts 1 side from the competition is an unknown factor as to the teams make up and will be an added complication to the game. Eastwood will have to take this into account. On last week's performance Eastwood should prove too strong but when you take Penrith's performances against Manly and Southern Districts into the calculation Eastwood will need to come prepared for a tough game that could be closer than last weekend's results suggest.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
6 out of 7 for The Corp vs Northern, but, Northern 1st Colts got the bit between their teeth again and knocked over Uni 1's. Well done Shoremen.
Randwick must be now champing at the bit to get a go at Uni. (Notice no mixed metaphors) The Shoremen could bottle what they have vs Uni and sell it to the others, thereby earning the cash to offer scholarships next year;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 6 Results

W. McMahon Memorial Shield - Colts 1
Eastern Suburbs 10 Randwick 59
Parramatta 35 West Harbour 19
Eastwood 28 Penrith (The Bye) 0
Southern Districts 17 Manly 15 (or 19-17) [Called off early due to lightning]
Sydney University 22 Northern Suburbs 25
Warringah 19 Gordon 55

Shell Trophy - Colts 2
Eastern Suburbs 10 Randwick 41
Parramatta 14 West Harbour 55
Eastwood 15 Penrith 22
Southern Districts 32 Manly 27
Sydney University 26 Northern Suburbs 5
Warringah 0 Gordon 60

Bill Simpson Shield - Colts 3
Eastern Suburbs 0 Randwick 61
Parramatta 12 West Harbour 38
Eastwood 26 Penrith 7
Southern Districts 17 Manly 24
Sydney University 8 Northern Suburbs 7
Warringah 5 Gordon 24

Round 7 Games - 2 May
Warringah v Parramatta
Eastwood v Eastern Suburbs
Manly v Northern Suburbs
Penrith (Bye in Colts 1) v West Harbour
Southern Districts v Gordon
Randwick v Sydney University

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Colts 1

Southern Districts 17 Manly 15

Game finished early due to concerns about lightening strikes.
Very close game with S.D dominating up front and Manly dominating out wide.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Next week in Colts - Randwick vs The Corp!
Randwick have rumbled everyone across all grades.
Uni doing well - but not the dominant force of previous years.
1st Grade - Uni will need to do more than they have yet. Randwick have the same game strategy and have executed better. The backs will score the tries in this one, but the game will be won or lost up front.
2nd Grade - Uni and Wicks are both very strong, probably closer here than 1's. Uni have the grunt to see this one through, but must play without error.
3rd grade. Uni are a team of individuals doing their best at this point. Disjointed and lack any cohesive plan to get over the line. Randwick have been getting big scores. I reckon Uni can do it but Wicks must be favourites here.
Go the Corp!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ A few results on RugbyLink incorrectly recorded. Perhaps the unpaid intern punching the numbers was affected by a little too much ANZAC spirit, or did the hailstorm find its way into the internal circuitry of the Rugbylink server?

Well done Emus.

Score amended above.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Norths v uni was worthy of a grand final game. A little spite, but a thrilling game to watch. For both teams, their respective 9,10,15 were solid, I would say the norths wingers had the wide on the uni wingers. Poor discipline did cost uni in the end, and the rain and hail held off until full time. Great game to watch.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If Penrith aren't competing in colts ones any more how come they might not get the wooden spoon - or they aren't at the moment???

The Oracle

Stan Wickham (3)
Norths v uni was worthy of a grand final game. A little spite, but a thrilling game to watch. For both teams, their respective 9,10,15 were solid, I would say the norths wingers had the wide on the uni wingers. Poor discipline did cost uni in the end, and the rain and hail held off until full time. Great game to watch.
Interesting short précis of the game . Must say coming from a league background this was an interesting overview. The bloke from Norths that abused the ref after a Uni high tackle penalty and then jumped behind the fence to abuse him further would be banned from further games. I am sure he will justify his appalling behaviour on the fact that officials are paid and should do a better job , but the reality is they do a great job for the pittance they recieve . Go and find a new hobby . I am .

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Oracle - I am sure he will be banned, and rightly so. Whether officials get paid or not, verbal abuse should not be tolerated (and im not convinced the aforementioned tackle was high). Why would coming from a league background matter? Would be interested to get your take on the game. Do you have a different view on how uni played? norths played? the overall game?

The Oracle

Stan Wickham (3)
I only mention the league background as a backdrop , with the belief from many that this sort of behaviour is confined to league fields, which it clearly is not. I cannot disagree with any of your points regarding the game itself . Particularly the spite. That is the nature of the tight physical contest. I was more inclined to comment on the spite spilling over to the crowd , located in the South East corner . I guess I was expecting better crowd behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.