• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels - ANZ - Anzac Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

galumay

If the opportunity to go to the West Coast ever presents itself, go for it & check out the local brew Miners out've Stockton. .

Went thru there when we did the South Island a couple of years ago, missed the beer though. Will keep an eye out for it up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ very much a back-of-the-shed operation back in the day, doubt if it's gone inter-Island just yet or ever will, you're just gonna have to get your arse back down there, awright?

Horrotahs hang on for the win, doubt their next oppo will be shaking in their boots.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Won't say too much.

Tahs deserved the win. Lineout functioned better, attack functioned better, good cohesive forwards and backs, left 9 points on the field, no questions asked. Congrats.

Just a little bit disappointing that the 2nd (Robinson driving at at 90 degrees) & 3rd (Incorrectly called outside the 22) tries came directly from refereeing errors. Otherwise I think we were a combination of lucky and spirited to come away with the losing bonus point.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
How many no arms tackles is Nayorvo (???) allowed to make?
Special ex-Mungo dispensation? I counted at least three or four. Blatant as well.

Debreczeni is a one trick pony at the moment but it's a pretty handy trick. Reid was a beast when he came on. Need a bit more at the back, Veainu or Placid for Harris.

Tahs had too many weapons though. Big bodies moving at pace will always be hard to stop. Deserved their win.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Shite game really. Wasn't much fun to watch us fuck up again and again.

Rebels early defence rushed too hard, and we got around them. Then they decided to fan and cover, and we didn't try to run it up on close. Tactical fail by the Tahs there.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thought it was going to be a blow out after the first 20 min , I think the Rebels had a sharp reality check running out without Jones (who seems to cover a lot of ground on the defensive stuff ) and to their credit regrouped and toughed it out as a unit . Horne did tremendously well for a guy considered too small by some , Hooper showed class but I think this round Pocock won the "Dilemma" this round hands down and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) made a strong return while Skelton is starting to remind me of a young Arthur Beetson . A Wallaby laden scrum appeared not to phase the Rebels who competed well but the line out seemed the main point of difference ... if the Rebel's want to win the tight ones the week should be dedicated to the throw in . Foley having an off day with the boot meant it became a real graft for the Tahs who deserved the win . Jack Daniels is a monster with the boot - I think the South Africans would have him in a national train on squad if he had a different passport and young Jordy Reid has been a revelation in recent matches . Cheik's must be disappointed the Tah's failed to hammer home the advantage when the Rebel's were down to 14 men in the first half ( I know I was ) . Overall an intense contest with both teams better for the run , and for those who want the Rebel's as a feeder team - maybe they should hold fire on that scenario for a while ...... Tah's are now set for the run to the finals - don't hold back , and the Rebels should still give it a good crack this year and not think about next year .

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Tony McGahan had every right to blow up about the lead up to the Horne try but to his credit did not in the post match. I'm sure Lyndon Bray will be getting a call for 'clarification' over it next week.

For those that didn't see, this is where the ball originates before it's kicked out.

WARvREB22.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How many no arms tackles is Nayorvo (???) allowed to make?

Most have his arms up, but he hits so hard with his shoulder that the attacker bounces away before the arms can wrap around.

It is like Palu's tackle of Kearney from a few years ago

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I was kind of confused at the time the "howler" occurred - I mean, that quick was launched with the lone intent of getting upfield. But it was hardly the only bad call of the night, and no-one knows whether the Tahs might have just scored a try from 40m downfield either.

There are shit refereeing calls, but McGahan said it in the press conference: their first half was poor.

Disappointing thing for me is the Tahs didn't alter their tactics on attack once the Rebels had them figured out. Poor leadership there. Should have been belting them in close in those conditions.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
tahs have not shaken off the really bad habit they picked up last year of taking the foot off the pedal when they get a few quick early points.

and for some reason they are just not executing on the back plan after oranges. i think we might need to put some spare glass doors in the dressing rooms to get chieka fired up, because if its not the players going to plan b on the park then his hair dryer needs to be recharged.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Phipps had been allowed to do it for years.
That's right, there was a referee edict a few years ago that Phipps could feed the second row, but only after he moved to the Tahs - when he was at the Rebels apparently he wasn't allowed. :rolleyes:
Last year, the refs cracked down on it big time, this year nothing. I think you'd find all the 9s are doing it now, knowing they can.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Most have his arms up, but he hits so hard with his shoulder that the attacker bounces away before the arms can wrap around.

It is like Palu's tackle of Kearney from a few years ago
Most? Some? Whatever. I agree with what you're saying but there was at least two tackles and possibly three where he tucked one arm in across his chest and hit only with his shoulder.
Shoulder charges are a scourge and I hate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.