• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Fairly certain Mason was at Downlands in 2012.
He was. The 2012 Churchie 15A side was all homegrown with some kids at Churchie since Year 1. A mate who is a Churchie dad told me Ogilvie the 2014 winger was the 10 back in 2012. Mason came in 2013 and the rest turned up from time to time over the course of the next 12 months or so as the ranks massed for the assault on the 2014 title.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Truly, is it fair though? Let's say a boy doing schooling the traditional way turns 16 late in year 12. In Qld, that is highly possible. Then, let's say that a another "boy" does senior over 3 years and turns 18 early in his second year of Yr 12. This creates a two year age gap between the 16 year old and 18 year old. This is massive considering the changes in physical growth, strength and aggression. Should we encourage this by allowing schools to stack their teams with 2nd year, year 12 players who are turning 18?
This is all old hat.
2 schools -possibly 3 have been doing it for a decade now-not the whole team but more than half the team are(18) repeat grade 11 or do senior over 2 years.
IMO it really started with TSS with that brilliant team in 2002.(Tapui etc)
Not pointing the finger-just stating a fact.
That is why those 2 schools win so many games in last 10 minutes.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Isn't it funny how the Circle moves ?

Too much emphasis on Sport and not enough Academic chutzpah ? Turn the Sporting Taps off and dust off the Chess Boards

Not enough Sporting Accolades ? Need to make a splash of relevance when boarding house numbers are down and bums on seats are at 60% capacity in the post GFC world ?

Bring on the Gladiators.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Dear ME
We all know you picked the 1st to 3rd last year andyour predictions are usually correct-but can you answer the question please

GSP, you know what? It probably counts for a bit because of the camraderie built within a successful age group but I can accept that the new face syndrome can readily undermine it, just as all the other distractions of life in senior these days - posting on social media, girls, study, posting on social media, part time jobs, detentions, taking duck face selfies, training, driving lessons, doing beach weights for schoolies etc etc and posting on social media.
I recall reading a story in the excellent B&G dossier that GT print each season which talked of the 1997(?) GT premiership side being borne of a hard core group of 13As who tried their guts out for each other and gradually got better and better until by year 12 they were a force, not a pretty force, but a ruthlessly effective force lead by a passionate Coach McBain and they won the comp in their senior year. How sweet to savour the victory drinks poured over the rocks of their U13 and U14 losses for those 5 year team men? can a one year man say the same thing? at the risk of being shunted to the scholarship forum, I would suggest the one year matured drink is less tasty than the 5 year one.
I believe the 15As are usually the purest team in the comp because the cynicism of players whose senior is being spread over three years have not yet affected them and, unless you are at BGS, year 10s are not allowed to be in the 1st XV because of the 2 year window rule and therefore the team is not tampered with from above.
While I am on that point, IMHO Rowing is the purest GPS sport because no primary schools have rowing programs meaning any successful shed or 1st VIII has to be developed within the program run by the school without scholarships. I know having better oars and better shells can help a result but identifying the rowers and developing their technique and fitness for the sport has to come from scratch.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I recall reading a story in the excellent B&G dossier that GT print each season which talked of the 1997(?) GT premiership side being borne of a hard core group of 13As who tried their guts out for each other and gradually got better and better until by year 12 they were a force, not a pretty force, but a ruthlessly effective force lead by a passionate Coach McBain and they won the comp in their senior year. How sweet to savour the victory drinks poured over the rocks of their U13 and U14 losses for those 5 year team men?

96 firsts - included Croft and a winger who was (apparently) Lomu's cousin.
If not Lomu some other, famous at the time, big islander winger... only Lomu comes to mind.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Who is "stacking" their teams with these men?

And what about my point about Australian School Boy Rugby where most other states boys finish school in their 18th year.
I agree this evens up the odds of Qld boys trying to make Aus Schoolboys Team against 18yr old from the other states. I also agree that there is a huge difference between a 16yr old and an 18yr old physically and mentally, there are however exceptions and these need to be managed and assessed by the school and coaching staff as to whether they are ready or not. The school 1st XV coaches nowadays are a professional out fit and should be able to make the call. IMO any boy turning 19 in that year should not be allowed to play and if I am not mistaken that is the rule.

RR2014

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep your right can't be turning or 19 in that particular year. I also agree on 16 yr old vs 18yr old, have coached for over 15 years at all levels and the state rep sides with 16yr olds with 18yr olds teams really struggle and the U16's not up to it. The only exception would they have to be pretty special and RL usually picks them up or they are in a academy somewhere being closely monitored.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
GT may well be back on that there Bandwagon GunGenia...Giddy Up!

Some Trial Matches not far away now:

TSS V TGS on 31 May
- Will TSS start like a meter maid with a wedgie?

ACGS V BBC on 31 May
- Will BBC come back from Japan like kamikazes or tele-tubbies?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Took everyone a decade to recover AND then GT brings in Digby Ione.!!

I hear with the "change in policy" there will be a few mini Digby's running around for GT in under 13 this year(full -fee paying of course-just like Digby was{sic})

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And not just in U13 ....across all age groups . TB supposedly has charge over the entirety of recruitment.

There may be some new fields that need to be ploughed however as existing fields have already been heavily plundered between U13 to U16 and there isn't a lot ( at least in SEQ ) that remain under the radar and aren't already known or placed.

Everyone knows that IGS and BSHS has gone ape shat and Terrace is getting some acknowledgment in Junior Recruitment ...the more interesting stories ( for mine ) as the season unfolds are just what Nudgee, TSS , BBC and Churchie have done ....Nudgee and TSS in particular were a bit underwhelming at the U12 and U13 age level last year .

Even more interesting will be to see how Brisbane Grammar's Rugby unfolds between the U12 to U15 age group levels ....although I suspect there won't be any significant change until next season given it may take a year to get some traction

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
I heard on the grape vine that BGS have started their training for the coming season. Last year they got the teams together on the June Break. That is a start. As for Churchie U13 last year won one game from memory and can't see much of an improvement this year. Although 12 months at this age group can bring some pretty big changes. The U12 team could be a surprise though.

stevie wonder

Frank Row (1)
Can anyone fill in the gaps. Churchie 15 this year.
1. Kouchel
2. Williams
3.Wagner
4. Hocking
5.?
6. McMillian
7.?
8. Wallis
9.?
10. Croft
11.?
12. Sau
13. Stanghorn
14.?
15. Mason. (last years No.10 brother)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@Hound

Good for BGS !

Churchie 12's ( U13 this year ) won 3 games last year ...not exactly a beacon of success ...or did you mean last year's 13's ( U14 this year )

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
@GC
No talking about last years U13 now U14 . Which will make it another character building season.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Can anyone fill in the gaps. Churchie 15 this year.
1. Kouchel
2. Williams
3.Wagner
4. Hocking
5.?
6. McMillian
7.?
8. Wallis
9.?
10. Croft
11.?
12. Sau
13. Stanghorn
14.?
15. Mason. (last years No.10 brother)

Watch for sleepers;
Mitchell at 7, Tarabay at 9 and Lennon at 15. Mason at 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.