• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney U/18 Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Have tried looking at both SJRU and NSWJRU for results and info but cant find anything.
NSWRU doesn't publish the U/18 results in the media or their web site.
Can some one post some info.
The U/18's is a great initiative and should be supported.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Have tried looking at both SJRU and NSWJRU for results and info but cant find anything.
NSWRU doesn't publish the U/18 results in the media or their web site.
Can some one post some info.
The U/18's is a great initiative and should be supported.
Hey Whale Berry - you will have more luck working out who shot JFK than getting any useful info out of that mob. Try asking @Hugh Jarse

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is all I know:
Under 18 competition.
http://www.sjru.com.au/buddha/index.php?action=tables
Southern Districts are leading the competition with 2 victories.
Wests, Parramatta, Randwick, Manly, Sydney University and Gordon also have teams in the competition.

http://www.sjru.com.au/buddha/index.php?action=view_results
There seem to be lots of byes in the U18 competition, probably due to the concept that the U18 games only seem to go ahead when both the regular Colts Clubs have an U18 team.

What games have been played have all been close with the biggest victory margin being 3 points.
There have been claims that the Gordon and Uni teams are actually 4ths Colts rather than U18's, and that the Penrith Colts 3 team are actually all Under 18.

While the player data on the NSWRU web site is still a little patchy, it would appear that there are more than a few current School students playing in Colts teams, as well as a few young (still U18 eligible) school leavers.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
This is all I know:

There have been claims that the Gordon and Uni teams are actually 4ths Colts rather than U18's, and that the Penrith Colts 3 team are actually all Under 18.

While the player data on the NSWRU web site is still a little patchy, it would appear that there are more than a few current School students playing in Colts teams, as well as a few young (still U18 eligible) school leavers.
You are a bloody legend Mr Jarse

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
This is all I know:

So it would appear that there are 7 teams in the comp, not bad for the first year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 5 only had actual 2 games planned:
The Corporation 0 (LOF) Hobbits 28 (WOF)
Gordon 52 Manly 0 (may be adjusted to 50 - 0 under SJRU Mercy rules)

Parramatta, Wests, and Wicks had The Bye in R5.

Round 6 proposed games for ANZAC weekend are:
Hobbits v Marlins (MMM)
Wests v Mighty 2 Blues (M2B)
Gordon and The Corporation are up against The Bye.
Wicks done not feature in the Draw for R6 but are assumed to also have The Bye

Comp Table (FWIW)
Hobbits P3 W3 L0 D0 Bye2 Fft0 Pts 20
Pirates P4 W2 L0 D0 Bye2 Fft0 Pts 16
Highlanders P4 W1 L2 D0 Bye1 Fft0 Pts 12
Wicks P3 W1 L1 D0 Bye1 Fft0 Pts 10
M2B P3 W1 L2 D0 Bye0 Fft0 Pts 8
BuildCorp P1 W1 L1 D0 Bye0 Fft1 Pts 4
MMM P2 W0 L2 D0 Bye0 Fft0 Pts 4

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 6 Results:
Hobbits 28 (WOF) v Marlins (MMM) 0 (LOF)
Wests 11 v Mighty 2 Blues (M2B) 19

8 games have been played in 6 rounds.
16 Byes in 6 rounds.
2 Forfeits in 6 Rounds.
1 No Result in 6 rounds.

Looking a bit like the Waratah Shield Competition with more games not played than played.

To look forward to in Round 7 (According to Buddha)http://www.sjru.com.au/buddha/index.php?action=view_results:
Hobbits v Highlanders
Wicks vs BuildCorp
MMM, M2B, Pirates all have Byes.

Wonder what happened to the former Penrith Colts 3 team?
Some reports that they were actually an U18 team. With the downgrading of Penrith Colts 1 to Colts 2, the Emus U18 team should be free to play in their proper age group.
Penrith were to play Woodies in round 6, and Woodies do not have an U18 team. The Emus are to play the Pirates in Round 7.
Hopefully we will see a Pirates v Emus U18 match this weekend as a late addition to the draw.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
It looks like there are still only 5 teams participating.
I hope the powers to be persist with this comp because it has to be a great recruitment tool to Colts.
If I was a Colts administrator I would be shaking every tree /i could find to get a team together.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did the Under 18 Colts end up at the June Long Weekend, as originally intended or is it still going?

First year of any competition is always a bit of a challenge. Anyone associated with the U18's care to comment how it has gone, and whether it will return in 2016.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Did the Under 18 Colts end up at the June Long Weekend, as originally intended or is it still going?

First year of any competition is always a bit of a challenge. Anyone associated with the U18's care to comment how it has gone, and whether it will return in 2016.
The 18s are still going and i saw Souths v Waverley colts on Saturday. Randwick forfeited so souths had to ring around for a game.
Speaking to the souths colts people the 18s has been a success even with basically 6 teams and with constant forfeits Souths would support it in 2016 but changes need to made and it has to come under the NSWRU and it needs to have CC points attached then it will get the clubs interested.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Souths v Waverley Colts. Awesome. Is there hope?

Sydney Juniors, NSW Premiership, and NSW Suburban Rugby unions working together at the club level - it seems.

Will we see the miracle of their administrations working together for the betterment of the game. Now thats what I would like to see!

How can we get NSW Schools RU into this as well?
Oh, that's right, Rugby is dying in Sydney's "west", but we can find >$1m to relocate and rename Shute Shield clubs.

Whatever happened to the Under 85kg colts that was knocking around about 5 years ago?

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
The U/18 was a fantastic initiative, and was well supported by a number of clubs that should be congratulated - Southern Districts, West Harbour, Parramatta, and Gordon. There were other clubs that participated but for reasons unknown they withdrew at different times during the season (Sydney Uni, Randwick and Manly). Regardless of the reasons for withdrawing - well done to them as well.
Others just couldn't put team together, which is a little surprising considering the overall Club strength and location of Eastwood, Northern Suburbs, and East Suburbs. The other clubs that didn't compete we can understand - Penrith and Warringah.
So let's hope that more clubs can compete (for the full season) next year.

There may be a couple of games still to be played over the last two weeks when West Harbour play Parramatta and Southern Districts.
Regardless of the results I can say with certainty that we can congratulate Southern Districts who (I believe) went thru the season undefeated (to date).

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
I heard on the grapevine that the U/18 Grand Final at Foreshaw on Saturday ended with a fight, yellow card, red card, reversal of a penalty (that saw SD kicking the ball out to win), and worst of all, a WH player man-handling the referee.
So what is true , exaggerated, or false??
Sad way to end if any or all is true.
BTW - well done to SD, they were the best team all year.

Ruby Rugby

Frank Row (1)
Facts ...U18 grand final played by SD v WH. SD won 15-10. Last 5 minutes of game WH running ...5 metres from try line dangerous tackle by SD ... ref blows whistle.... melee ensued ... WH had third man run in ... SD player yellow card for dangerous tackle ... WH player yellow card for third man ... no teams separated during this ... WH halfback goes to play ball ... ref reverses penalty ... WH halfback says a few words (which are best not repeated) ... ref gives red card - WH player waves it away. SD 5/8 spends almost 3 minutes discussing the issue (timed). No time called off for this. Whistle blows, full time siren goes ... SD kick ball out. No manhandling occurred - completely false.

Sad way to end a good match for both teams and terrible conclusion to a GF.

Both teams should be congratulated to sticking out the season, as should Parramatta and Gordon. SD have been great opposition, as have the other teams.

The concept is brilliant, and lets hope it continues with more districts involved in 2016.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ruby Rugby - your reply is different than was provided by a SD official (in the stands on the day), but that's not surprising considering that I am receiving feedback from supporters of two competing teams (and both probably looking through rose coloured glasses):).
Your summation is close to the SD details, but I heard that the WH player that was red carded was finger pointing into the chest of the referee (along with swearing and cursing), and then slapped the arm of the referee knocking the red card from his grasp. This is never acceptable and if correct a lengthy suspension is forthcoming. If incorrect then a shorter suspension is coming his way.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
There was also the Opens SJRU competition which could have possibly taken away numbers from some of these competitions. Lot of concentrated talent in that competition for the boys who do not go to private school or are involved in colts competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.