• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Hurricanes Round 11 (ANZAC Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
dan54 , 2 years when you were last the rugby the Reds were wining.
Also that area where you were sitting and across the feild is a lot of members seats.
If the Reds continue this form with RG at the helm you will see the difference next time you go to Suncorp. I have been sitting in my seats since the move to Suncorp and couldn't even give tickets away.
Very few die hard Reds fans sitting in these areas.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Loved the aslav's, hated the drum music. Please Reds marketing team, or Suncorp or whoever you are no more contrived drum music. The most annoying thing I have ever experienced at a game. Surely it puts the players off too.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Where the hell did the drums come from. Just annoying. Knew we were in trouble after the national anthems. The Bloke who sang the NZ one was great the OZ one well...
Reds had a crack early and showed that we do have the players to compete. Just need some adjustments at the top and 2016 could be OK.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
All I heard was continual yelling/moaning about refs decisions

I have been a to a multitude of grounds across a multitude of countries and across a multitude of sports and if there is one common theme it is the home crowd berating the referee/umpire whenever he/she makes a decision against the local team.

I really wish people would stop being fucking hypocritical about that particular topic because it is fucking tiring to hear the "holier than thou" set go on and on about it when it is exactly the same everywhere.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The reds still lack a basic structure to fall back on when things go wrong - so every mistake is going to be very costly until that changes.

There seems to be a constant need to kick the ball with the reds, so I can only imagine they are practising this a lot at training. I think they need to stop that.

Hurricanes took it a little too easily early on, and when they went into another gear (second?) it was obvious as to what the result would be.

Graham, Meehan and whatever that young guy's name is who looks after defence surely must be told to look elsewhere for work by now.

From this instant in time, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to still have Graham involved in the reds in any capacity at all: he is a proven loser and he will get results consistent with that (I am not using "loser" in the insulting manner - I am using it in the literal sense).

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
From this instant in time, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to still have Graham involved in the reds in any capacity at all: he is a proven loser and he will get results consistent with that (I am not using "loser" in the insulting manner - I am using it in the literal sense).

So whats your solution gel? Bring in an interim coach (of which there are no decent ones just floating around) for the final six games of the season? Let them try and coach their brand of footy (emphasis on 'try' as no team is going to suddenly change over just six weeks) and then when a new coach is announced and brought in for 2016 the guys then have to adjust to another coaching style.

I thought people realized this by now, Graham will not be moving on whether through his own resignation or fired before the end of this season. A part from the whinging fans it serves the QRU no benefit to do so, therefore, they won't.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yes, they definitely need to stop kicking it away. But the only other option appears to be a slow shifting it through the hands to get wide with no decoy runners, and no one taking the ball at speed or looking to change the angle. The Hurricanes had absolutely no trouble shutting it down and were regularly isolating players out wide. Kick it away or high risk of turnover putting it through the hands? Maybe kicking is the better option for now.

Genia looked slow for a while but he was ready to release the ball quite often and there was no one ready to take it. Who is organising these guys?

As for the RWC squad - JOC (James O'Connor) will miss out on the Wallabies 23. Hunt won't make the squad, he isn't the best fullback at the Reds. Holmes will be very unlucky to miss out.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So whats your solution gel? Bring in an interim coach (of which there are no decent ones just floating around) for the final six games of the season? Let them try and coach their brand of footy (emphasis on 'try' as no team is going to suddenly change over just six weeks) and then when a new coach is announced and brought in for 2016 the guys then have to adjust to another coaching style.

I thought people realized this by now, Graham will not be moving on whether through his own resignation or fired before the end of this season. A part from the whinging fans it serves the QRU no benefit to do so, therefore, they won't.

Well if the Reds want to keep fans coming to the game then they could do worse than make QC (Quade Cooper) coach and promise the fans that the Reds will play Barbarian style football for the rest of the season. They would not do any worse and at least there would be some entertainment.

Apart from not being able to catch, throw a pass, pass left to right or form a decent attacking st up there is no reason that our backs can't attack, attack and then attack some more like the Canes did too us.

Give back to the fans and hold the bloody ball, I am yet to see a try scored where someone is not holding the ball, if we aren't holding it we won't score. It almost seems too simple. Add to this when you opponent has the ball they can score against you.

Our defence seems to be a lost cause and surely by now RG should know that you dont get a bonus point for allowing four tries, we have to score them so lets just attack, it might just be the best for of defence.

TGFan

Stan Wickham (3)
One thing that really grinds my gears and gets me annoyed is Barrett (who I think is a tremendous player and great to watch) taking each and every kick for touch about five steps in front of the mark. He gets the ball, marks a divot with his foot, takes one or two steps back, then a four or five step run up for the kick. Only a small thing I know, but annoys me.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I guess I agree with what you're saying Liquor Box, in principle and also in a romantic sense but against the Canes at least, what you're saying didn't hold true.

We scored 12 points in the first half with 34% possession and only managed 7 points in the second half with 62% possession.

The fact of the matter is that we tend to go better when we don't have the ball. Whether that is evidence of a more disturbing issue is something else entirely.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
One thing that really grinds my gears and gets me annoyed is Barrett (who I think is a tremendous player and great to watch) taking each and every kick for touch about five steps in front of the mark. He gets the ball, marks a divot with his foot, takes one or two steps back, then a four or five step run up for the kick. Only a small thing I know, but annoys me.

He is definitely not Robinson Crusoe mate. They all do it and have done since the beginning of time.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Did anyone catch the crowd figure in this match?

I couldn't get there. The reds admin put a lot into the afternoon. Came across really good on the tv. And we didn't even suck that bad, the Canes are just 15 classes above us. Gilly was huge, so was Thompson.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Do not under any circumstances keep Richard on further than this point in time. Make Stiles interim head coach (or anyone else that is not Graham for that matter).

This is not a concept that is hard to understand or something that has not been done before.

The reds need to stop playing whatever it is that Graham is trying to get them to do before they can start trying to play anything else - and that needs to start now. An interim coach is going to just use the most basic of game plans and just get the reds back on the basics anyway - which is essential before we start to learn anything new from a new coach at the end of the season.

Richard Graham could tell the guys the right things from here on and it will not matter one bit - he has such an abysmal record no one would believe him fully anyway and he will just end up with disappointing losses.

In short: my solution is any interim.coach from anywhere (including Stiles) because the longer it goes the longer it will take to undo.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Did anyone catch the crowd figure in this match?

Don't remember them flashing it up on the big screen, and no I hadn't had too many..

Did seem to be more than previous games I've been to, and besides the Hurricane's supporters group near us booing Quade when he was on the screen, that was probably one of the better kiwi crowds. I normally cringe when it's Wallabies or Reds v NZ teams, maybe they're feeling sorry for us?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought the five minute performance from Lolo Fakaosilea was outstanding!

I would start him at #6.

that's a massive call. I thought he was excellent too. For the last 5 minutes of the match.

He first caught my eye at schoolboys level and, to be honest, I haven't seem him do too much since.

Korzcyk wasn't fantastic yesterday but he was the week before and he's outplayed Lolo at club level and Under 20 level now. If Tui or Beau aren't available, I'd be starting Adam again.

Lolo has some way to go I believe.

Reactions: gel

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Thought cfs was ordinary again, had one break down the sideline and instead of tucking the ball under his wing and using his size in a one on one, he put in a very ordinary kick and wasted the opportunity. I feel like I might be being a bit harsh because I seem to say this every week, but I really don't understand what he's doing to get selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.