• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Beale in that picture as well?

Yeah possibly. I don't see Beale as a starter though. Winger should be either JOC (James O'Connor)/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). and then the Bench will be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale... maybe Gits/Lilo.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale in that picture as well?

I think Beale is either bench, outside the best 23 but in the squad or just missing the RWC squad currently. He's certainly one that needs to improve in the back half of the season. I don't see him as being a starting XV option or used on the wing in any situation other than an injury crisis.

I'd say that JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Cummins, Leali'ifano, Horne, Genia and White all need to improve their form and consistency as they're fighting it out for a few spots in the squad and some of them are sure to miss out.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
JOC (James O'Connor) still needs to lift his form though it isn't good enough yet. But I think his experience and skill-set is best suited to starting winger or utility bench. Same with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

So I guess I believe it's there position to lose (and JOC (James O'Connor) is currently losing it), rather then having to fight to win it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I gotta work it out on paper, but I can't see why JOC (James O'Connor) should be in the team. Its not as if he even has his goal kicking to fall back on at the moment.

1. Has the skill set to compliment our best winger (Speight).
2. Is a proven big game player- our best player at the last RWC (or very close to it), never really let the side down at International level, even when picked out of position.
3. Absence of a classy, proven, in-form winger to take second spot.
4. Goal-kicking option if Foley/Cooper goes down.
5. Is showing just enough right now that makes me excited- defence on Sunday was really good, as well as that ability to break the line when faced with organised defensive lines.
6. His fresh-faced, Gen Y attitude is just the thing the Wallabies have been missing.......

OK so maybe I was reaching for the last one. But the first 3 are pretty big.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah I think JOC (James O'Connor) has been looking ok, all the pieces seem to be there but it's tough to impress on the reds wing atm. He'll probably get a go in the rc and I imagine he'll grab the opportunity with both hands, whatever else people think of him he rarely fails to turn up.*

Edit: *on the field, team photos etc are a different story.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
1. Has the skill set to compliment our best winger (Speight).
2. Is a proven big game player- our best player at the last RWC (or very close to it), never really let the side down at International level, even when picked out of position.
3. Absence of a classy, proven, in-form winger to take second spot.
4. Goal-kicking option if Foley/Cooper goes down.
5. Is showing just enough right now that makes me excited- defence on Sunday was really good, as well as that ability to break the line when faced with organised defensive lines.
6. His fresh-faced, Gen Y attitude is just the thing the Wallabies have been missing...

OK so maybe I was reaching for the last one. But the first 3 are pretty big.

Interestingly, people unleash on Cooper when talking about the semi final, and laud Beiber.

Watch it again, Cooper starts poorly and then plays quite well for the rest of the game, behind a pulverised forward pack.

Beiber actually had a really shitty semi-final, he's the one who got carried back over his own tryline in the lead up to their first try.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd definitely have JOC (James O'Connor) in the mix if he was playing well............. but I haven't seen anything from him so far that suggests he's deserving..........

At this point I'd have a back 3 of:

11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Speight
15. Folau

I hope JOC (James O'Connor) finds some form, because I'd much rather him in the squad over someone like Beale.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Honest question- how much 15 has JOC (James O'Connor) played internationally/first class? Can't recall any games, but my memory is terrible, so it's not saying much.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't in much form either, Slim. He certainly won't let the side down if picked, but I think you could say the same about JOC (James O'Connor) as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
that seems to be the main one, doesn't it? Bloody hell, I mean Rob Horne could end up on the wing for the Wallabies!

I think he's currently ahead of JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Cummins etc. for one of those utility back positions. He's playing well and is consistent. He'll be sorely unlucky to miss the squad.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
that seems to be the main one, doesn't it? Bloody hell, I mean Rob Horne could end up on the wing for the Wallabies!
It's pretty hard to knock Rob Horne based on his recent wallaby form, he's a consistent defender and a hard running attacking winger. he's a much safer pick in the squad than O'Connor and no-one can dispute that he has a set of balls

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Ok, crystal ball time. Given I have stirred the tea leaves (and feathers) in the who should wear 7 debate, ill have a crack at the 23 for game 1

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
Pocock
Hooper
McCalman
Phipps
Foley
Horne
To'omua
Kurindrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

TPN
Faulkner
???? (someone think of a reserve tight head)
Dennis
???undecided on the second lock/6 replacement, probably fardy.
Palu
Genia
Giteau

This might ruffle feathers, but I think it is just about enough to get them through. Skelton to play 60 then replaced by dennis, McCalman/Pocock to play 60-70 then unleash Palu. Giteau covers almost the entire backline, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being Mr Utility covering everything outside of 10 and 12.

You would have enough punch in the bench forwards to just about out bash any resilience the opposition is showing in the last 20, especially after cheika ball, ably supported by team Pooper (pocock/hooper for those not following the who should be 7 thread) has run the opposition into the ground. Im getting excited at the prospect

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
PS, O'Connor has done nothing to warrant selection ahead of Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (who hasn't played the house down this year, but has substantially more runs on the board than O'Connor), Horne, or even Kerevi at a pinch. Given his limited utility value (anyone that thinks he is a genuine utility 10 or 12 or 13 go jump in a hole) I think it might be a bridge to far for the brand! Expect Kurtley to get the utility gig ahead of O'Connor, as Kurtley will essentially be Folaus backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.