• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels - ANZ - Anzac Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tony McGahan had every right to blow up about the lead up to the Horne try but to his credit did not in the post match. I'm sure Lyndon Bray will be getting a call for 'clarification' over it next week.

For those that didn't see, this is where the ball originates before it's kicked out.

View attachment 6190

This was crucial in turning the game. Rebels were coming back strong at this point and gaining control.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
To tired to watch a replay tonight, will wait till tomorrow.

Weird feeling as I did not think we played well, but believe we should have stole the win still. Championship sides know how to win ugly when they need to and the Tahs managed that last night.

The Refs howler on the out on the full was taken back, he takes the kickoff just outside the 22 line, he did have some howlers at the scrum though.

As a Rebels fan I don't know how we are still starting Leafa, I am so fed up loosing line outs with out it even being a contest. Had 12 line outs with 3 not straights and one lost. That's only 60% win rate which is really bloody bad for this level.

I think Jordy Reid needs to be given a start, his playing well and need to give him a shot to see if we need to re-sign him. Hope we do as his a top bloke and always gives his all.

Now to the guys who meet up for Pre-game beers, was good to put some faces to the names and have a bit of banter. But don't ever complain about our weather again because yours is insane, don't think I have even seen rain like that before.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tony McGahan had every right to blow up about the lead up to the Horne try but to his credit did not in the post match. I'm sure Lyndon Bray will be getting a call for 'clarification' over it next week.

For those that didn't see, this is where the ball originates before it's kicked out.

View attachment 6190

Don't see how that's the ref's fault. Easy to criticise when we get still images and replays. There's another line there - ANZ's fault.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tahs vs Rebels

Crowd: 15,807
Rebels at ANZ was always gonna be a lean crowd. The apocalyptic weather might have put a few walk-ups off, but with best conditions I doubt it would have broken 18K. Dunno why they chose that game to go there. Only really get anything half good with Brumbies, Reds or Crusaders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Was anyone else surprised by Ryan's scrummaging effort?

He was actually pretty rock solid

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Were the rebels replacement props on? Because getting one over on Metcher and Ah-nau isn't exactly that impressive. If it was against pae and smith then that certainly counts as an improvement for them.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Were the rebels replacement props on? Because getting one over on Metcher and Ah-nau isn't exactly that impressive. If it was against pae and smith then that certainly counts as an improvement for them.

A telling comment on the importance of a strong bench.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Timani off hurt our scrum too. For a massive unit, Jeffries is not a great scrummager.

Of course, Ryan was still better than he has been, and Tilse, well, he's Tilse.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It was their starters for a while, and more importantly, his back was straight, he was getting pressure through and not eating grass at each engage

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Yes, him and Tilse held it together well at the end there.

I was an absolute nervous wreck during those final scrums though.

I thought Ryan was very lucky to not be penalized on that last reset when him and Cruze went up. Might be a bit biased Rebels fan though so need to watch the replay.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Ryan was very lucky to not be penalized on that last reset when him and Cruze went up. Might be a bit biased Rebels fan though so need to watch the replay.

I think the only way Hoffman would have blown a penalty on that final scrum sequence was if one team bulldozed the other off the ball and then the scrum disintegrated and it was obvious who deserved the penalty.

Otherwise we were just going to see scrum resets until the ball came out.

Such a strange game. Tahs were clearly the better team scoring three tries to one but the Rebels had the momentum late in the game and got a rubbish decision which gave the Tahs the field position for their third try. The Tahs should have never been in trouble if Foley had kicked decently but the finish certainly made it feel like the Rebels got somewhat robbed.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Rebels at ANZ was always gonna be a lean crowd. The apocalyptic weather might have put a few walk-ups off, but with best conditions I doubt it would have broken 18K. Dunno why they chose that game to go there. Only really get anything half good with Brumbies, Reds or Crusaders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My feeling is that the Tahs are giving their best games to the SFS in anticipation of their move there next year. No point appeasing ANZ with good games and butchering your potential takings, so send a bit of a crap game (attendance wise) there to fulfill your obligations and take the hit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think they would have had over 20k if the weather hadn't been so crazy in the afternoon.

Thankfully for the Tahs, a lot of people who didn't turn up had probably already paid for their tickets through memberships etc.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Was anyone else surprised by Ryan's scrummaging effort?

He was actually pretty rock solid

As Lindommer said: his first scrum always seems to be shit. And it was. But after that he was going very well.

Because they'd had wind of the ANZ deal not being renegotiated and decided to cut their losses outside the heartland and flip the bird to ANZ in general?

It would have been 15,809 if a certain poster wasn't too soft, right BH? :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As Lindommer said: his first scrum always seems to be shit. And it was. But after that he was going very well.

Because they'd had wind of the ANZ deal not being renegotiated and decided to cut their losses outside the heartland and flip the bird to ANZ in general?

It would have been 15,809 if a certain poster wasn't too soft, right BH? :)

I genuinely think they figured that the ANZAC Day clash was going to be one of their biggest games of the year, especially when they're trying to provide some variation from always having the Brumbies and Reds at Homebush.

Well, zero out of seven of my group ended up attending on Saturday so it was an all round soft effort (two of them were away and had declared they weren't going in advance).

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I am sick of hearing the Ref got it wrong when he actually didn't, the Rebels got it wrong and cost them selves the game once again. The Picture is where the Rebels took down the kickoff so they are clearly driver back into the 22 and were not allowed to kick it out on the full.

Attachments

• Reb22.jpg
    Reb22.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 284
Status
Not open for further replies.