• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The one thing I can't believe about the draw at the moment - the idea to play on ANZAC day? Surely this will get changed. A more than likely lack of numbers for the games along with it being the centenary of ANZAC - just a bizarre decision if you ask me
Hey @Richrugby89, I've been doing a bit of research on this and the club's decided to play ANZAC day in order to have a bye for country week at Bowral. Might be worth having a yarn to your President about this decision...

Richrugby89

Frank Row (1)
Hey @Richrugby89, I've been doing a bit of research on this and the club's decided to play ANZAC day in order to have a bye for country week at Bowral. Might be worth having a yarn to your President about this decision.

Thanks for the research yourmatesam. I guess I feel most for away teams, mostly the poor Deni blokes travelling to Wagga. 300km round trip for most away clubs means leaving around 11-12 and getting home around 630 on a pretty sacred day.

The way I see it - the more professional players would struggle to incorporate something like a dawn service into their pre-game routine, and the more casual players would rather sink schooners and play two up then travel to play a game of 3rds. Anyway, guess I'll just cop it and get on with it!

My tips for this week - Albury (the rain will only ensure that it's kept in the forwards), Tahs and Temora in close games, Griffith (only due to Uni holidays), and Leeton at home

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Move on with Anzac Day talk - The SIRU Website indicates that 4 of the 5 1st Grade matches are being played next Friday - well done to the Clubs for thinking outside the Square
Did Deni get in touch with Aggies to look at an alternative for their Anzac Day Clsh ?- why didn't they look at playing on the Sunday following Anzac Day ?- why wouldn't they have suggested playing on the Bye Weekend - May 2 ?
These and other questions can be asked but only the Clubs can solve the issues
I'm sure McTaggart & the SIRU Board would have copped it left , right & centre if they had declared a Bye for Anzac Day & then another Bye the following Weekend for the Country C'Ships
You win some u lose Some !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Move on with Anzac Day talk - The SIRU Website indicates that 4 of the 5 1st Grade matches are being played next Friday - well done to the Clubs for thinking outside the Square

You win some u lose Some !

The point of my post was to highlight that the club's themselves voted to play on ANZAC day, it wasn't a SIRU board decision.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
SIRU - Round 2 - 1st Grade scores - Albury 55 d CSU 7, Temora 5 d Coota 3, Waratahs 40 d Young 10, Leeton 18 drew with City 18, Griffith 20 d Ag College 5

2nd Grade;

Leeton 31 d Wagga City 0,CSU 31 d Albury 5,Wagga Waratahs 32 d Young 5, Hay 21 d Ag College 0, Tumut 26 d Deniliquin 19

3rd Grade;

Wagga Waratahs 27 d Young 5, Griffith 12 drew with Wagga Ag College 12

Womens' 7-A-Side;

Leeton 12 d Wagga City 0, CSU 15 d Albury 10, Wagga Waratahs 44 d Young 0, Wagga Ag College 15 d Griffith 12, Tumut 32 d Deniliquin 12

Goodfun

Bob McCowan (2)
Just come on board to this site to try and get more week to week info than the media give out.
Seems Albury are lining up as a power house, was the dominance in the forwards or backs? I believe they smoked Tahs last week in the backs. Realise that CSU were diminished with holidays etc but still 55-7.
Watched aggies last week and thought they were unlucky, reckon they should have taken it to Griff, still wouldn't write college boys off.
Leeton City game sounded like an out and out slug fest, I reckon the pomy (I think) centre/fly half would have played some good wet rugby, kicking and turning the big leeton boys around all day.
Tahs knocked over Yabbs in a big score, a little surprising considering last week. I have heard Yabby's were building nicely.
Look forward to comments even complete and utter bias commentary.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Just come on board to this site to try and get more week to week info than the media give out.

Look forward to comments even complete and utter bias commentary.
Welcome aboard @Goodfun, for a first timer you've got a lot of questions mate!

It was a wet day at CSU on the weekend which didn't really allow either team to get into any type of groove. James Old played well as did Richard Manion. Paul Hood and Brent Merritt were the standouts in the CSU backline. There was plenty of dropped ball by Albury, CSU's try came from a solid counter attack that caught Albury napping.

What sort of game was Tahs v Young?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round Three Results:
1st Grade;
Wagga Waratahs 73 d Cootamundra 7, Albury 23 d City 7, Tumut 39 d Temora 5, Leeton 15 d Griffith 13, CSU 40 d Young 5

2nd Grade;
Wagga Waratahs 31 d Cootamundra 21, Wagga City 59 d Albury 5, Hay 14 d Leeton 0, CSU 19 d Young 10, Wagga Ag College 10 d Deniliquin 7

Womens' 7-A-Side;
Wagga City 32 d Albury 0, Temora 10 d Tumut 7, Leeton 31 d Griffith 12, CSU 46 d Young 0, Wagga Ag College 61 d Deniliquin 0

Richrugby89

Frank Row (1)
I know it's early days, but looks like it will be a long season ahead for Coota, Young and Temora.

The big surprise for me is the Yabbies, a lot of pre-season hype but from all accounts very underwhelming against both the Tahs and the Reddies

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The big surprise for me is the Yabbies, a lot of pre-season hype but from all accounts very underwhelming against both the Tahs and the Reddies
I heard good things about the Yabbies loss to Tahs, that they had a bad day and they had plenty of potential to mix it with the big guns. Is this not the case?

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
I think this is going to be one of those years where any team could take it out. From what I have seen, Waratahs and CSU were both heavily undermanned early in the season but will gain momentum the longer we go. Leeton and Griffith will both be strong and if both of them make the top half of the draw, either of them could be a serious threat. And of course the Aggies have large numbers and are probably just arranging combinations. as for the Steamers, their early season fitness got them off to a good start but the other teams will catch them.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
the biq question is who will join Temora, Coota & Young in the Romano's Cup Competition this year
I agree that the pre Season hype about Young was pretty encoraging but they have just conceded 80 points in their last 2 matches and didn't really put Temora to the sword in Round 1
Early days still but my hunch that 2 teams out of City, Aggies, Tumut & CSU will join the other 3 clubs in the Romano's Cup Competition and the other 2 Teams will play in the Walsh & Blair Cup
Ag College can't afford another loss at this stage of the year or their Walsh & blair Cup dreams are over

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Ag College can't afford another loss at this stage of the year or their Walsh & blair Cup dreams are over
I don't know about that, plenty of teams have made the cut based on 5 wins. 6 wins guarantees a place in the Premier Division and there are 8 Rounds left until the split. Aggies have played Leeton and Griffith who are both flying high at the moment and will be well competitive over the course of the season.

Remember, it's uni holidays at the moment which would have disrupted CSU and Ag College at this stage of the season.

Early days still but my hunch that 2 teams out of City, Aggies, Tumut & CSU will join the other 3 clubs in the Romano's Cup Competition and the other 2 Teams will play in the Walsh & Blair Cup
Only time will tell mate, I've given up trying to predict which clubs are going to end up where and I agree with @namtrak that there are a number of clubs that have the ability to win more than they lose. I know there are plenty of people who don't agree with the split competition but the unpredictability of the competition and that race to the Premier Division adds another dimension to the season which is a positive in my opinion.

Phantom blogger

Frank Row (1)
The yabbies are still trying to figure out positions and combinations. A little late to be working on them but still a long season ahead. Hopefully things turn around sooner rather then later.

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any thoughts on Siru at country week? Squad looks strong with powerful forwards. Having played for western plains in 2012 and in the zone for 3 seasons I feel I can safely say Siru will brush aside them without much difficulty. Central North will provide a stiffer challenge but Siru should beat them. The toughest games I feel will be Newcastle hunter and central west.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any thoughts on Siru at country week? Squad looks strong with powerful forwards. Having played for western plains in 2012 and in the zone for 3 seasons I feel I can safely say Siru will brush aside them without much difficulty. Central North will provide a stiffer challenge but Siru should beat them. The toughest games I feel will be Newcastle hunter and central west.

Hey RF, not sure if you're aware or not but SIRU are playing in the second tier (Richardson Shield I believe) so won't come up against Newcastle/Central West etc although Central North will be tough!

Based on what I have seen of the rep program I would expect SIRU to hold their own easily in that division. They should win their first two games at least and have the ability to take it to the top of the second tier teams. SIRU are blessed to have the services of a crafty coach in Richard Turnbull who has also selected a handy coaching staff in Richard Skellern (forwards) and Seru Rogo (backs).

The SIRU Rep team is well balanced and have been preparing well. With wet weather tipped for the weekend, I would expect SIRU to be working on a style to suit the conditions which will revolve around a strong forward pack with the ability to adapt to the conditions.

5/8 and Captain Richard Manion will be crucial in controlling the game and his combination with Sam Hobbs and James Curgenven through the halves will really allow SIRU plenty of options in the backs. Manion's strong running game and Curgenven's golden boot give flexibility to play to whatever conditions confront the team on the day.

Through the forwards, the strong running game of the likes of Rambo Lagaali, Ash Lefevre and Ben Leaper will allow the forwards to set a solid platform to control the game. Liam Krautz and Tanian Naude will back up that component of the SIRU game with a good link game between forwards and backs.

The back three combination of Boxxy Tracey, James Grimmett and James Olds have some genuine pace and are exciting footballers in their own right. I reckon these guys counter attacking ability will hurt some teams badly as these guys have the ability to slice defences to ribbons when they want to.

In recent years, SIRU has had a very good 1st XV and this is supported well and truly by a very strong bench which gives the coaching staff the luxury of substituting players without losing any spark in their game plan. The likes of Daniel Dowson, Chris Latu, Tom Boyle and Tino Manualevo will be deadest itching to get on the park!

On a side note, I would recommend that the senior playing group think about how they approach the game as the standards that they are used to week in week out in the local competition may differ from what they are used to, particularly from those members in the Central West.

Congratulations to all players and coaching staff this weekend and all the best, I look forward to hearing some positive results come back from the tournament, it's a real opportunity to show to the old leather patch brigade that SIRU is not the poor country cousin. Give 'em hell boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.