• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Their belief is that Graham’s modest seven from 24 record in Perth should not be held against him as all Force coaches have struggled and that he also deserves to be cut some slack this season because the Reds have been decimated by injury.

Wow. If this has even been thought, on any level by any staffer, the whole lot need to go. To lose the fan favourite/heart and soul players and keep these muppets would sink QLD to a point lower than the 2000s. The crowd is dead and despondent now, I would hate to see it with a RG led side minus QC (Quade Cooper), WG, JH and co.

The point they miss with the above statement is that RG, Stiles and Meehan took over from an unpopular coach with a poor record and no playing talent and made things WORSE. They then came to an organisation with a popular coach a very good record (no worse than 5th in 4 years) and 20+ Wallabies and made them WORSE.

Last year equalled the Reds most loses in a season, this year will surpass it. There is certainly an argument to be made that RG and co are the worst coaching team in Super Rugby history. There are other contenders, but they put forward a strong argument.

The injury argument is a load of bollocks. This is pro rugby. Every player out there is being coached by these guys in a pro environment. They should be up to it. Period. We must have the first rugby players to every pick up injuries and miss games. Sign a back up fly half who struggles at club footy, a RG decision. Play a Wallaby 10 on the wing while playing a back up 9 at 10, an RG decision. Squad selection is a major part of sport and it's just one of many areas these coaches have failed.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
It will be something special indeed if we go from winners in the first year of super 15 to wooden spooners in the final year of super 15. First to last in a five year comp. Unreal.

EDIT: and just when you think the fall from grace is finished they add 3 new teams, re-sign RG and then give us a nudge to fall even lower.

Can anyone confirm that RG is the first coach to lead 2 separate franchises to last during a Super Rugby season? Saw it mentioned but haven't seen it confirmed. Obviously several rounds in, not a 0-1 or 0-2 team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the decision (if it eventuates) would not surprise me. In fact it would surprise me more if QC (Quade Cooper) stays.

Frankly, I don't think there is any other coach available, suitable, who is not tied up with the RWC?

Don't throw the name McKenzie out as he is not an option under the current regime, plus I'd anticipate he is more than happy out of the limelight for the time being.

Don't mention Knuckles as he hasn't coached professionally for 8 years now.

If it wasn't a RWC year then we might have been a chance to pick up a big name coach.

Not that I agree, but keeping Graham makes it easier to get to find a new coach - the coach they really want, for 2017 and beyond. Keep Graham for next year, work out who is available for post-RWC, bring them on as one of these 'mythical' Head of Rugby posiitons, and then come 2017 he's in.

Now as for people calling for heads to roll from the Board, then I suspect that is due to happen this Nov/Dec anyway. Come the next AGM, some of the alleged key players in Graham's appointment are due to stand down, including the current Chairman. Shall be interesting to see who gets the spot next.

Personally, I'd make a change regardless. I think there's too much to lose (off the field) if a change isn't made.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Wow. If this has even been thought, on any level by any staffer, the whole lot need to go. To lose the fan favourite/heart and soul players and keep these muppets would sink QLD to a point lower than the 2000s. The crowd is dead and despondent now, I would hate to see it with a RG led side minus QC (Quade Cooper), WG, JH and co.

The point they miss with the above statement is that RG, Stiles and Meehan took over from an unpopular coach with a poor record and no playing talent and made things WORSE. They then came to an organisation with a popular coach a very good record (no worse than 5th in 4 years) and 20+ Wallabies and made them WORSE.

Last year equalled the Reds most loses in a season, this year will surpass it. There is certainly an argument to be made that RG and co are the worst coaching team in Super Rugby history. There are other contenders, but they put forward a strong argument.

The injury argument is a load of bollocks. This is pro rugby. Every player out there is being coached by these guys in a pro environment. They should be up to it. Period. We must have the first rugby players to every pick up injuries and miss games. Sign a back up fly half who struggles at club footy, a RG decision. Play a Wallaby 10 on the wing while playing a back up 9 at 10, an RG decision. Squad selection is a major part of sport and it's just one of many areas these coaches have failed.

The only positive about RG is if he stays then we might get to move back to Ballymore as we wont be able to afford the rent

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Personally, I'd make a change regardless. I think there's too much to lose (off the field) if a change isn't made.

This, this times 1,000.

Even if a new HC was brought in and muffed up next season at least it would be some kind of evidence that the organization is at least trying to change things and on some level actually recognizes that RG's performance to date is wholly unacceptable at this level of play.

Even if it was some kind of interim coach, just about anything would be better than keeping a proven loser on retainer. It's definitely a lesser-of-two-evils situation, which sucks - but that's what happens when you let shit spiral out for 3 years.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes they have....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11007725_10153179484210236_8599163163427313958_n.png?oh=d877936e2ac484afcd0e10afdd3800d6&oe=559ACC2E&__gda__=1440848715_7fe46ea1f6a60f77568c753f74cef5f1

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great get by the Reds I am hoping the force could pull off a signing like his to cover Wykes but there isn't many quality locks off contract so good work reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Graham heavily quoted in the press release would seem to indicate the rumours around next year are accurate.

He's staying.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I do hope we can hold on to Tom Murday as well. Neville in for Horwill and Murday in for O'Donaghue. I guess Kotze would deserve a contract too, but despite his input this year, I'd still lean towards Murday over Kotze.

I guess the next questions is McDuling. I'm a huge fan, and would like for him to stay but I guess we have to way up injuries and value for money. I reckon a locking 4 of Simmo, Murday, Dools and Neville would be pretty damn strong.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Assuming the rising want to work on whoever his replacement is, Neville should play nrc up here. If so hopefully he goes to country, might not have any real connection, but it should mean pairings of murday and Neville at country and mcduling and kotze at city, maximising the chances they all get to impress.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I do hope we can hold on to Tom Murday as well. Neville in for Horwill and Murday in for O'Donaghue. I guess Kotze would deserve a contract too, but despite his input this year, I'd still lean towards Murday over Kotze.

I guess the next questions is McDuling. I'm a huge fan, and would like for him to stay but I guess we have to way up injuries and value for money. I reckon a locking 4 of Simmo, Murday, Dools and Neville would be pretty damn strong.

Yeah kotze has been better than murday but murday offers better balance to the squad. Hopefully we can keep them all around, I'm not convinced mcduling will be fit for more than half a season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Emerging forward sounds like the preferred result if you've done a good job of playing what's in front of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.