• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Two things on that BH-

1. I never get why the Smith Waugh thing is so derided, when we got within an inch of winning the World Cup with that exact combination.

2. Smith and Waugh had really similar skill sets, especially in 2003 when Smith's ball-running was a few years away from being awesome.

Pocock and Hooper have quite different skill sets, which is why I think this just might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be right, I've just got a sense that the bigger packs will pulverise (pardon the pun) us with us giving away some size like that. One the Smith/Waugh thing and 2003, we were bloody lucky to be anywhere near winning that tournament. We played one great game (in the semi) and should have been whistled off the park for our weak scrum in the final. The England pack shunted us everywhere that year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I don't think it's apples and apples to compare the Smith/Waugh combo to Pooper. It's probably more like Apples and maybe Nashi? Same but different.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I mentioned this on the other thread but the more I think about it the more I like it. 6. McCalman. 7. Pocock 8. Palu. Hooper comes onto to replace Palu at around the 50-55 minute mark. Two hard running backrowers and one ball fetcher. You could have Fardy on the bench to cover 6 and a 2nd reserve lock.
In the 99 Campaign we had Finnegan/Cockbain (6), Wilson (7) (Fetcher) & Kefu (8). That combo was lethal and pretty similar to the one above.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I mentioned this on the other thread but the more I think about it the more I like it. 6. McCalman. 7. Pocock 8. Palu. Hooper comes onto to replace Palu at around the 50-55 minute mark. Two hard running backrowers and one ball fetcher. You could have Fardy on the bench to cover 6 and a 2nd reserve lock.
In the 99 Campaign we had Finnegan/Cockbain (6), Wilson (7) (Fetcher) & Kefu (8). That combo was lethal and pretty similar to the one above.

Except Finnegan and Cockbain were absolute bruisers, Hooper at six wouldn't be. Nobody messed with our pack back then because of guys like Kef and Melon.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also, Fardy > McCalman @ 6.

Having said that, I think McCalman is the form Aussie 8 right now.......

If he doesn't start there for the Wobs he should be on the bench to cover 8/6.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Two things on that BH-

1. I never get why the Smith Waugh thing is so derided, when we got within an inch of winning the World Cup with that exact combination.

2. Smith and Waugh had really similar skill sets, especially in 2003 when Smith's ball-running was a few years away from being awesome.

Pocock and Hooper have quite different skill sets, which is why I think this just might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree and should Shouldn't be missed that smith also played 8 - he was good.

Bring back Smithy ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But with him doing that we won 87%. Everyone knew that he only calls to himself (even you, FFS), and yet... 87%.

Yeah, because a good lineout is far more reliant on the blokes actually doing the work and not the wall-eyed, monosyllabic giraffe riding his reputation as "lineout general" on the back of other people getting him there.

Jumping is important - but timing is importanter.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I had Higgers on the bench originally to cover for Palu because he's a better lineout jumper than McCalman which we'll need for Pooper but he just isn't playing well enough now to be over McCalman. 3rd lock on for Skelton, Pooper on for Fardy and McCalman on for Palu.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
If both Hoops and Poey are selected, we should change this thread to "The impending Hooper v Pocock at the back of the driving maul dilemma".

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah, because a good lineout is far more reliant on the blokes actually doing the work and not the wall-eyed, monosyllabic giraffe riding his reputation as "lineout general" on the back of other people getting him there.

Jumping is important - but timing is importanter.

and the thrower is importanterer

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I already said that - the hooker, like his front row brothers doing the hard work, is instrumental to the timing. Any lock who says he controls the lineout should be ignored, or soundly beaten.

Pfitzy I think Dave may have been taking the piss on a new word you brought to the English language. 'importanterer'

something

Jim Clark (26)
there are two ways to look at this: play to our strengths - or nullify the oppositions weaknesses.

Our set piece is never going to set the world on fire but as it stands, it isn't that fucked (And those stats are reflective of a Hooper/McMahon combo) I am all for a hooper/pocock combo.

Realistically, Palu is probably going to be injured so i think our 8 will be Ben Mac, or at worst Higgers. Skelton, Simmons, Pocock and Big Dog can all jump. If anything it could make our line out more smokey-mirrorsy because everyone will be expecting us to throw to Simmons.

Our opposition would have to severely alter their game plan to accommodate for the poopcock combo... It can only work in our favour / can that name catch on? could we call them the analizers?

As a new zealander said two pages back (sorry can't remember your name) we have two once-in-a-generation type players with COMPLIMENTING skill sets in the same position. Pocock's game isn't that dissimilar to what's required of a 6.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I already said that - the hooker, like his front row brothers doing the hard work, is instrumental to the timing. Any lock who says he controls the lineout should be ignored, or soundly beaten.

I know - we cover allot of duties, prop up the team with the hard work, seagull - it would be an odd game without us.

Status
Not open for further replies.