• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...s-knee-injury-threatens-rugby-world-cup-plans
oh shit, Crudens knee is rrooted, the nation awaits a Rugby World Cup announcement today, **Emergency Convening** of Lancaster Park Stonemasons Guild of All Black Selectors

zap.gif

"No, not you Blackadder."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oh dear. The die has been cast. The RWC2011 template is being followed by the Darkness as they churn their #10's.

4 years ago they went through Carter, Cruden, and Slade before recalling Donald from his whitebating activities to win Bill.

This time around, it is looking like Carter will be too slow and out of touch, and with Cruden injured, if the template is to be followed again, the NZ RWC injury curse will be visited upon Beaugan Barrett in the early rounds in the UK. Who will be the lucky 4th choice flyhalf recalled from a Salmon fishing expedition in the Scottish Highlands this time around? Ihaia (Carlos) West or Colin (Junior) Slade or Lima (Mr Reliable) Sopoanga?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
as an aside historically I wonder how many players get crocked just before RWCs and miss the thing? any numbers out there? all these 120 page "RWC primo wallaby 23" threads etc but I bet every 4 years there must be 2-5 top blokes that get dinged just before it and miss out through injury?
Carter, Cruden, Slade, Donald, Bill, Beaugan Barrett, Ihaia, Carlos, Sopoanga
none of them will make it.

Local conditions?

Unrealised potential?

Nick Evans.

2007 Redemption 007

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Big blow for the Kiwis and world cup viewers in general. I'd rate Cruden as the world's best no.10.

Barrett is a great replacement though. Provided he stays healthy there's nothing to worry about.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
PlanetRugby have had a crack at crystal-ball-gazing our RWC 31:

"World Cup

Backs (14)

Full-back: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith
Wing: Julian Savea, James Lowe, Cory Jane
Centre: Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams, Conrad Smith, Malakai Fekitoa
Fly-half: Beauden Barrett, Dan Carter, Colin Slade
Scrum-half: Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara

Forwards (17)

Back-row: Steven Luatua, Liam Messam, Richie McCaw, Sam Cane, Kieran Read, Jerome Kaino
Second-row: Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Patrick Tuipulotu
Hooker: Dane Coles, Keven Mealamu, Hika Elliot
Prop: Tony Woodcock, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Charlie Faumuina"

I don't see Lowe making it just yet, think they'll take just 4 outside backs incl Piutau & rely on Slade & Barrett to cover. Also can't see Fekitoa going, think they'll take a 3rd HB (Pulu) instead.

Forwards look about right, albeit I'm not yet convinced about Woodcock (but nor do I have an obvious replacement so maybe he gets it by default?).

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don't think Hika will go.

Moody might be a smokey.

Need 3 halfbacks for a WC squad unless Carter or Slade are our cover.

Lowe ahead of Piutau, don't think so. I think Crotty is still a chance and SBW will be a wing cover option.

Vito could pip Luatua

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ I suspect Luatua's ability to cover lock will get him in ahead of Vito, we've already got plenty of 6/8's & of those only Read is a real ball-winning lineout option. And on that basis Id say Romano's extra bulk gets him in ahead of Tuipulotu's athleticism.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tuipulotu has to go, they must love his dynamism.

Luatua woke up bigtime when subbed on for Kaino on the weeknd, maybe he needs a rocket every now and then.......

oh shit so Samoa vs NZ match is 4 days after S15 final? If WGTN make final thats the entire NZ backline ruled out of contention. Perenara, Barrett, Nonu, C.Smith, J.Savea, C.Jane There might be some funny old 1-and-out test caps ladled out. Think Sosene Anesi. Oh well and least it wont be WGTN vs Cantabs final, that'd be the whole team out. WGTN vs HGLNDERs final would rule out A.Smith and Perenara and maybe gift a test cap to a thoroughly undeserving Hungus Pulu...... they couldnt chuck tiny Brad Weber on for a debut, he only weighs 12 kg and if a Samoan sat on him he'd be instantly crushed flat. They'd have to send an A4 hologram of him home to his mum, poor little bugger, R.I.P.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is Romano even playing for the Crusaders? I can honestly say I can't recall seeing, reading or hearing anything about him at all this year. Regardless, I doubt that neither he, nor Thrush, will supplant Tuipulotu.

As for Luatua, he needs to stop fluffing around in the backline and go back to being the lock/blindside hybrid he was back in 2010-2013. Making him play the rest of the Blues season at lock would be a good way of achieving that.

EDIT: Turns out Romano has been playing a lot for the Crusaders. Can't be up to much.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
?..oh shit so Samoa vs NZ match is 4 days after S15 final? If WGTN make final thats the entire NZ backline ruled out of contention. Perenara, Barrett, Nonu, C.Smith, J.Savea, C.Jane There might be some funny old 1-and-out test caps ladled out. Think Sosene Anesi. Oh well and least it wont be WGTN vs Cantabs final, that'd be the whole team out. WGTN vs HGLNDERs final would rule out A.Smith and Perenara and maybe gift a test cap to a thoroughly undeserving Hungus Pulu.. they couldnt chuck tiny Brad Weber on for a debut, he only weighs 12 kg and if a Samoan sat on him he'd be instantly crushed flat. They'd have to send an A4 hologram of him home to his mum, poor little bugger, R.I.P.

Chiefs & Clan likely to be in SF action a week prior to the GF so the team that goes up to Samoa may have to be some Frankenstein' nightmare of a D'Auckland/Cantab hybrid.......

image.jpg

Plus parachute SBW in a coupla days pre-match for PR purposes.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep just read that Kevino, I hope the boy can get the help he needs, and would be good to see him make a super squad in next season or so, though I suspect he will struggle. A real sad case of a boy that perhaps couldn't handle his demons.