• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds (Rnd 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Why are people talking up the Crusaders as some sort of epitome of Super Rugby? They have lost more games than they have won so far this year. I don't see the Reds winning too many games in 2015, but this one is certainly an opportunity.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
fuck that. i expect the Reds to win..

As for those whinging pessimistically. I will save a seat on the bandwagon for you once the tables finally turn.. I was there in 2000 when the Reds lost and i was there 10years later at the game in Rd 2 of 2010 when the Reds won 41-20 for the first time in a decade..
I think my son's still got the relevant ticket glued to his wall (along with lots of others).

This was such a surprise result that only a few years later I was - and I shit you not - wondering if I imagined it / saw it on TV.

T

TOCC

I think my son's still got the relevant ticket glued to his wall (along with lots of others).

This was such a surprise result that only a few years later I was - and I shit you not - wondering if I imagined it / saw it on TV.

I still rate is as one of the best matches I've ever been to, bar the 2011 grand final. Reds went into that match as underdogs and stood no chance, and then they just turned it on and thumped the Crusaders with some very entertaining tries as well.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not imagined. Just caught the Crusaders cold early in the season. I had $10 on us to win by 13+ at 15/1 that night. Pretty sure I'd spent the lot before leaving Caxton St. Those were the days.

Now I'd be happy to accept a 1 point win every week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What a sight seeing Horwill keep up with Davies on that break and perform a great cleanout. These days he'd still be in the Reds half when Davies got tackled.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why are people talking up the Crusaders as some sort of epitome of Super Rugby? They have lost more games than they have won so far this year. I don't see the Reds winning too many games in 2015, but this one is certainly an opportunity.

Yeah, It's a chance to beat a sleeping giant, like us ;)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Brilliant. Thanks for posting that. Just weren't each of those tries something special?

As an aside, seeing that terrific vid reminds me: the style of attack the Reds were deploying then, and successfully so, depended in significant part upon genuinely fast wingers in Ioane and Davies.

We remember Diggers but tend to forget what a key contribution was often made by the raw pace and darting mobility of Davies in the glory years of 2010-11.

As of 2015, we do not possess genuinely fast wingers, or at least regularly playing ones (Kuridrani is pretty quick, but he only starts irregularly).

Have we lost something important along the way as 'the Reds brand of rugby' that was so clear in 2010-11 and was in part dependent on pace, now languishes in some ill-defined blurred zone of 'medium-paced backs waiting for something to happen'?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
As an aside, seeing that terrific vid reminds me: the style of attack the Reds were deploying then, and successfully so, depended in significant part upon genuinely fast wingers in Ioane and Davies.

We remember Diggers but tend to forget what a key contribution was often made by the raw pace and darting mobility of Davies in the glory years of 2010-11.

As of 2015, we do not possess genuinely fast wingers, or at least regularly playing ones (Kuridrani is pretty quick, but he only starts irregularly).

Have we lost something important along the way as 'the Reds brand of rugby' that was so clear in 2010-11 and was in part dependent on pace, now languishes in some ill-defined blurred zone of 'medium-paced backs waiting for something to happen'?

Interesting hey, back then we had probably 2 of the 3 quickest rugby players in Aus(if not super rugby)... Rocket Rod and Mozza. Both lightning, we were pretty spoiled with their pace. It is definitely something our current squad lacks. None of our outside backs have that genuine pace, JOC (James O'Connor) may be the closest but his persistant injuries seem to hold him back. Kurindrani was very quick before his major injury, I imagine it'll take him a few years to regain anything resembling that kind of pace (look at Drew Mitchell).

I think it definitely has an impact on the game plan etc not having confidence in the pace outside. CFS was supposed to be our next jetman but that doesn't seem to have worked out. Is there anyone out there in clubland who could fill that need for speed?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Remember being in a car on the way to the GC for a rugby camp and following the game on Twitter. There was genuine shock every time the Reds scored more points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds side to play Crusaders in Christchurch
1. James Slipper (C)
2. James Hanson
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons (VC)
5. James Horwill
6. Adam Thomson
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia
10. Nick Frisby
11. James O’Connor
12. Anthony Fainga’a
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Lachie Turner

16. Andrew Ready
17. Sef Fa'agase
18. Sam Talakai
19. Marco Kotze
20. Lolo Fakaosilea
21. Scott Gale
22. Ben Tapuai
23. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi

Shame that Chris Kuridrani won't get to play against his brother.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Big game for the Saders. our last home game and we have a few boys heading offshore at seasons end, Carter, T. Taylor, Slade, plus this could be McCaw's final season.

Crockett, C. Taylor, Laulala
S. Whitelock, Bird
Taufua, Todd
Read
Ellis, Slade
Carter, Crotty
Nadolo, Tuitavake
T. Taylor

Bench
Funnell, Hodgman, Moody, Tupou, McCaw
Drummond, Fonotia, Macilai

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Big game for the Saders. our last home game and we have a few boys heading offshore at seasons end, Carter, T. Taylor, Slade, plus this could be McCaw's final season.

Crockett, C. Taylor, Laulala
S. Whitelock, Bird
Taufua, Todd
Read
Ellis, Slade
Carter, Crotty
Nadolo, Tuitavake
T. Taylor

Bench
Funnell, Hodgman, Moody, Tupou, McCaw
Drummond, Fonotia, Macilai

I'd say its probably time for the Crusaders next year to reinvent themselves with some new blood - I mean if Reid goes soon then it would be like a ship without the officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.