• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

There is something totally rotten in the QLD S&C set-up and the rumours of trouble between S&C and head coach. This is the issue that has to be fixed whether RG survives or not.

The head S&C coach, the rehabilitation coach and head physiotherapist all left in March/April with interim coaches all appointed for the remainder of the season. Losing Damian Marsh back to the Brumbies in 2013 was a big loss, i expect this is another area where the QRU will recruit an experienced S&C Coach to oversee the department and rebuild it for 2016.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok. So here's one for you. A lot of club rugby was cancelled on Saturday due to weather. Most postponed I think.

Brothers v UQ delayed until Sunday. All good. Except for one sizeable young lad from the Brothers front row who lets the club know for the first time, and I'm guessing the QRU in general, that he doesn't play Sunday's for religious reasons.

Will impact Brothers for finals for sure. Will also be a factor in the NRC. Now the Reds don't play much on Sunday's but it will be a factor then once Thor makes the squad. Even just once a season.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Ok. So here's one for you. A lot of club rugby was cancelled on Saturday due to weather. Most postponed I think.

Brothers v UQ delayed until Sunday. All good. Except for one sizeable young lad from the Brothers front row who lets the club know for the first time, and I'm guessing the QRU in general, that he doesn't play Sunday's for religious reasons.

Will impact Brothers for finals for sure. Will also be a factor in the NRC. Now the Reds don't play much on Sunday's but it will be a factor then once Thor makes the squad. Even just once a season.

They'd have known about his religious commitments (or at least suspected) I rekon. It is well known a lot of Polynesian men don't play Sunday's. Having said that I wonder how many of the other players in Reds squad would observe Sunday's?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's not unheard of. Euan Murray has done it for donkeys with us. He got away with it because he's been a head and shoulders above all the Scottish tightheads in that time, and it didn't stop him picking up contracts in England. Might not be the same with Thor. Can't speak for it though. Haven't seen him play outside highlights, but would think that the relatively young quattro of Slipper, Talakai, Paraka and Fa'agase would be difficult to shift, even when Daley and Holmes are gone.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Plenty of NRC matches were played on Sundays last year. This will become a big issue for him moving forward.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah I agree Tang, and was fully aware of the history of this previously, although it seems less so in the professional age.

Will be interesting to see if it lasts.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Is this Thor's first opportunity to play on a Sunday? If Sundays are a problem it might be diplomatic to ask him to have a word with his family and their church's pastor. Michael Jones did.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ no he didn't, to the point it cost him a place in the '95 RWC as some AB matches were scheduled for Sundays. Also sat out the Brisbane test in '92 despite every man & his dog pleading with him to make an exception, AB having lost the 1st Test & Schuler, Brewer & Joseph to injury.

Never played on a Sunday AFAIK & copped plenty of abuse for it from the knuckle-draggers and although I'm not a religious guy myself I always admired him for it (as much as Id have loved him to change his mind on the occasions I've mentioned).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
IIRC Jones' pastor gave him permission to play on Sundays, which Michael never took up. But it was addressed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It wont be an issue once he gets to higher honours but it will be getting there. QPR finals are all on a Sunday and NRC.

If he does make the Wallabies it could be an issue come RWC when games are played on Sundays.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Isn't it obvious that the Reds have incurred God's wrath anyway? By the time he's ready for the top team Graham will have been fully crucified and all sin forgiven. Nothing to worry about.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Can't see the advantage of having Nem's. As mentioned in another thread speed is something that is missing currently.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Gill wouldn't seriously be considering joining the 7's squad, would he? Surely he wouldn't do that to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.