• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

TGB have you been in the sand pit doing tackling practice with your blokes?

On your recent defensive form you are going to have to score 50+ to beat the Tigers!!!;)

I think the images below are from the game you won at Bottomley in 2011/2102.

T

Tigers Tale

It was round 13, 2011 and the score line was Norths 31 def Easts 20.

David Skelton & Rory Murphy scored tries for the Tigers and Andrew Krelle kicked 2 cons & 2 pens. Krelle & Skelton will probably line up in Prem Reserves this Saturday. Murphy has returned to the UK (via the Brumbies).

At the time Easts were joint leaders of the competition with Brothers, and North were running last.

It was a monumental upset at the time and probably some of the best news Filth had heard in years!!

T

Tigers Tale

Just trying to spice up your life Red Heavy - I appreciate that it was a bit heavy so I went back and deleted all the post I made relating to Uni.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can anyone from Norths comment on what Fogarty's relationship is like in the wider club scheme at the moment?

A few guys from GPS caught up with him after the Premier game and got the impression there was some friction there, not sure as a by product of the less than flattering results or maybe personality clash? Or maybe he was just in a shit mood after getting 50+ put on them again and it's all nothing.

T

Tigers Tale

Gee Big Dog - you're not happy with the GPS coach and now you are setting about undermining the Norths coach!!!;)

Potentially these guys could have been coaching the other club this year!!

I don't think either of them would be happy with their results to date.

Easts come up against these two clubs over the next two weeks so I won't be lobbing any hand grenades there way.

I am sure that the Tigers will be concentrating on the Eagles this week but the following week at Yoku is going to be a ripper because it (Easts v GPS) has been quite the rivalry since 2013.

Enjoy the bye this week Big Dog.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Haha Im not trying to push any Norths buttons TT! I'm genuinely interested as to how Fogs is getting on. It is interesting from a GPS supporters perspective to see two blokes (Picone and Fogarty) struggle a bit as I for one think they are both decent coaches but things haven't gone to plan this year. Same goes for GPS!

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
There is definitely no tension between the rugby manager and head coach.
The committee is understanding it will take time to turn around 30 years of poor performances and practices.
Nick Fogarty has a 2 year agreement and will not be going anywhere.
Understandably, the club morale is down after conceding over 250 points in the last 4 games, but the club does feel things are heading in the right direction.
You cant make a train do a donut without changing the tracks first...

Sent from my mind......

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Are you saying he "has the full support of the board" TrainerGB? He'd better watch his back then. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Haha, nah things are all ok. Obviously frustrations due to results at this stage, which is totally understandable, but the general consensus is the right changes are being made for the future of the club.
An old Chinese rugby player once told me;
When the tide is low, the rocks are exposed and when the tide is high the rocks are hidden, but the rocks are always there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

Tigers Tale

Congratulations and best wishes to Jake McIntyre & Sam Greene on their selection in the game day 23.

Clearly they are the next in line but what is the pecking order for the likes of Tuttle, Dalgleish, Third, etc?

Can anyone clarify irt Sam Greene wasn't he selected in Qld Country NRC before finishing the NRC with the Bne City squad? Did he start at #10 for either side during the NRC? I just say this to pay him credit for the advancement in his game this year.

T

Tigers Tale

Would the Reds really go back to the future with Emtage? Is he involved at Yoku Rd?

Seems that Sampson & Seib have runs on the board from their QPR, NRC, Reds A experience/results.

My understanding of both Sampson and Sieb is that they very much have the respect of their playing groups. Unfortunately not every coach in Qld has that at present.

Why would Hedger give up what he's got at Bond and take on a Reds job? I think he's doing quite nicely thank you at the Coast and he is doing a good job by all accounts, and the results support that. Bond are well and truly in QPR15 but I think they could well be a super power in QPR16 & QPR17.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you'll find Shane Arnold may be in line for a more permanent position on the Reds staff, depending how the Aus 20s go. His role has already expanded a lot in 2015 and he did well in the NRC. I think the Reds could do with a younger 'modern' coach in their attacking role to offset the 'old school' approaches of Knuckles and Stiles, so Arnold ticks all the boxes imo.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is definitely no tension between the rugby manager and head coach.

Sent from my mind..

Thanks for clarifying that TGB, good to hear.

I did also hear that Norths have again nominated 2nd Grade as their 'flagship' team and that players are being encouraged to stay in that team rather than play up the grades. Is there some truth to that considering Norths 2nds are currently winning some games whilst the 1st grade side seems to be getting demolished each week?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
No truth in that rumour at all.

2nds are pushed to back up for 1sts if required and are all fully aware if the 1sts default, the 2nds games are also defaulted.

The 2nds are our lowest graded team so we have guys who can only train once a week (if that) and can play every now and again due to work or family commitments etc.

Understandably, some of the older players are unable to back up and play 2 games, but the majority make themselves available when required, and I suppose that contributes to the poor results of the 1st grade side as most of them have already played a full game.

Playing numbers are definitely an issue at Norths, but with what our Colts set up have achieved this year, depth, systems etc, things are looking brighter than ever before funnily enough.

Sent from my mind......

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fair enough, I saw some of the guys who have been running out for that 2nds team, the Lynagh bros, Ray stowers, Ralph susuave and they wouldn't look out of place in 1sts or higher in most clubs around Brisbane. Some players do just prefer playing lower though due to other commitments as you say.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I haven't commented much this season, but I do still read this forum, and enjoy watching TT slowly go insane talking to himself. But I have felt like there has been a big increase in quality in the Premier Comp this season.

What are everyone's thoughts on it? I can only comment on the Easts games I've watched, but my view is that areas such as physicality, game structures, and general skills have increased overall.

The top 5 sides in particular (Easts, Bond, Uni, Brothers, Sunnybank) seem to have benefited significantly from having large amount of players in the NRC.

Also a note on Tigers vs Bond. I thought it was a very tight game, and I enjoyed the armwrestle.

Parakka & Sanday won that game for Easts. On the day, all other aspects of play was pretty even between the sides, but the Tigers scrum absolutely demolished every scrum, and in the end that proved to be the difference.

The Fuiamano brothers (Lock & 8) for Bond were very good, as was Sam Cox at fullback, who seems to be having a ripper season. He was always such a consistent performer when he was at Easts, and often flew under the radar. I always felt his brother Sean got more praise, when Sam was performing just as well. Anyway, great to see Coxie going well.

For Easts, as mentioned Parakka & Sanday. It also helps having Campbell & Horomia playing first grade. I cannot remember the last time Easts had 4 high quality props at once.

Toby White keeps dominating, and Johnny Wilder had a strong game on the wing. Hagen has been outstanding, and was again on the weekend.

Final thought on the match was, shit, how good is it to have a strong team on the Gold Coast! I said to a mate that I cannot remember ever watching a strong Bond/Breakers side. They seem to have a very committed coaching team (judging from the verbal barrages delivered from the goal line by the 6 or so gents in coaching gear!). They have not had a big influx of new players (Fattal & Cox aside), but it is clear they have developed a great structure and team unity. Their team song is also quite catchy (from Reserve).

T

Tigers Tale

Arnold and Sampson have similar records:

Arnold:
2013 - GPS 2nd;
2014 - Aust U20s not so good;
2014 - Bne City NRC 1st;
2015 - Aust U20s ????

Sampson
2013 - Easts 1st;
2014 - Reds A to GF;
2014 - Qld Country NRC;
2015 - Easts - head coach of competition leaders

Who would you progress through to the Reds set-up??

I'd like to see them go with a Rob Sieb/Tim Sampson combination for Qld Country this year given Stiles/Arnold will have Bne City you would think.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'd suggest Mick Heenan, except I'm not sure he'd accept the stress and pay cut. His record is extraordinary.

If my sources (and parts of my memory) are to be trusted, his teams have only ever missed the finals once in his whole coaching career, spanning colts and grades - Uni in 2009 in his first year at the club. That year Uni finished 5th (on for & against) but had come from wooden spoon (or close to) the year before. Won the comp in 2010, 2012 and 2014, minor premiers in 2011 in what will go down as one of the hardest years in the club's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.