• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
gees, you can't win can you. Let the likes of Placid, Butler and Enever go and HQ gets blamed. Don't sign the likes of McMahon, PAO, Tomane, To'omua and they are crucified.

Sign some young future stars and it's still not the answer.

and Hunt, Taulagi, Daley, JOC (James O'Connor) and Talakai.

That's just the ones we know. Not sure who of the remaining squad (who aren't 'younger guys' you want to keep? Holmes they'll be working on. We know they will throw everything at Cooper. Hanson and Gill for sure. Who else?

I guess the big, and valid, question is: are these 'new and young' signings 'stars' or, based upon their displayed rugby skills to date, credibly S18 stars of the future?

Of these signees below in your list, for me at least it's only Kuridrani, Talakai, and Frisby that have shone enough so far:

Sef Faagase - 2018
Michael Gunn - 2018
Adam Korczyk - 2018
Andrew Ready - 2018
James Tuttle - 2018
Karmichael Hunt - 2017
*Sam Talakai - 2017
* Nick Frisby - 2017
JJ Taulagi - 2017
Careyrn Neville - 2017
*Chris Kuridrani - 2017
Duncan Paia-aua - 2016

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wow. JJT is still on the books?

Why we have him yet didn't do more to keep Placid I'll never understand.

I like the look of young Ready, he'll get the necessary game time next year to show his worth and I reckon he'll be a great long term deputy to Hanson.

Gunn is another who's rapid rise has led some to talk about a big future, personally I can't see him displacing Gill any time soon but it's great that he will be in QLD for a few more years.

This problem is common across all Australian super rugby franchises but jeez it would be nice to have a quality young lock or two.

T

TOCC

I guess the big, and valid, question is: are these 'new and young' signings 'stars' or, based upon their displayed rugby skills to date, credibly S18 stars of the future?

Of these signees below in your list, for me at least it's only Kuridrani, Talakai, and Frisby that have shone enough so far:

Magnay should be on this list as well, very impressive performance from an 18year old and signed until 2017.. He is a future starting XV player..

In regards to your comments though, it's hard to see talent in a team performing so badly but that doesn't mean it isn't there.. Some of these younger blokes with less super rugby caps to their name have earned contracts through performances in the NRC and Premier Grade/Representative rugby:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

Based on that Connolly interview it sounds as if he has more power than RG already. They way he spoke about the change of squad, was like this is where these players are best, and these two young 10s are good.

RG goone for me based on that interview alone.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
All the young blokes signed are good players but Jesus I hope there are no more Big Announcements of players signed with less Super Rugby caps than their age.

Locked up the young un's we need but the experienced core is not yet there for us.

Without it no coach, no matter how much better than RG he is will be able to save us

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
List on the page 1 has been updated. Need to just confirm Kerevi.

I'm trying to keep the initial post on page 1 on the contract status of players up to date based on what is posted on this thread or is released on the Reds website or some other reliable source.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Liam Gill is just a massive plus for Queensland. It will just about do my head in to see him leave.

He's the captain of the future.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...gainst-rebels-at-suncorp-20150515-gh3023.html

Interesting comments by Graham: "I think he's stated a couple of times that he wants to stay at the Reds but I'm not part of the negotiations so I couldn't tell you where negotiations are at."

Either he's not involved with negotiations because the Reds don't want to cloud the discussions with personal discontent (which is pretty obvious for all to see), or RG is already gone for next season anyway and is having no further involvement with recruitment.

T

TOCC

It boggles me that a head coach isn't involved in the negotiation, does he have any say in the player recruitment/retention.. Or is it a case of he has said who he wants to recruit/retain and the financials are all left up to the back office?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It boggles me that a head coach isn't involved in the negotiation, does he have any say in the player recruitment/retention.. Or is it a case of he has said who he wants to recruit/retain and the financials are all left up to the back office?
Left up to Sam Cordingley.

Head coach would be very involved in recruitment and retention at a high level - just not negotiations etc. Splits the $$$ away from coaching etc

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Liam Gill is just a massive plus for Queensland. It will just about do my head in to see him leave.

He's the captain of the future.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...gainst-rebels-at-suncorp-20150515-gh3023.html

Interesting comments by Graham: "I think he's stated a couple of times that he wants to stay at the Reds but I'm not part of the negotiations so I couldn't tell you where negotiations are at."

Either he's not involved with negotiations because the Reds don't want to cloud the discussions with personal discontent (which is pretty obvious for all to see), or RG is already gone for next season anyway and is having no further involvement with recruitment.

I agree he is a captain of the future, but when.

Slipper signed for another three years if I recall correctly so I doubt they will just take the captaincy off him.

I think Gill is close to the most important player in our team and needs to be retained at any cost

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
In all honesty Gill has been the best player in the Reds by far this season, and his form is on an upwards trajectory. If the Reds lose him there is nobody on their books who could go anywhere near what he has. It is not a long reach to say that he is going to force a choice in backrowers to the RWC and we may just see somebody else miss out to include him. I don't know who or from what position coverage, just his form is undeniable.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If he stays I'd make Gill captain next year. He (and Horwill to a lesser extent) doing all the talking in the forwards' huddles. Slipper VC. Harsh on Slipper but he seems a bit too passive for me.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Gill has as much chance of captaincy as Eddie Quirk.

Gilly has been terrific for 4 or 5 matches and is an integral part of a strong Reds forward pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.