• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pranay Jay

Frank Row (1)
All banter aside, would be interested to hear about Negs on the Senior A topic.

IMO the only successful way to run that Neg is potentially through Affirmative Action, or another CM that nullifies the entrenched harms of discrimination.

In particular would be interested in Grammar Senior A, whether it was a good adjudication etc.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
imo, the case is similar to the neg from round 1. Defend artist integrity and freedom, power of film to tell specific narratives that subvert discrimination, attack the efficacy of the model and backlash.

I heard that a few senior debates had neg teams that at some point or another legitimately suggested blind casting was a literal blind cast... not as a logical conclusion of why casting will always be biased but as an interpretation of the topic.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Im just going to create a post to keep track of Octos.

Snr A:
Grammar def Cranbrook
Abbotsleigh def Loreto
Barker def Shore
Kings def MLC
Scots def Trinity
Kincoppal def St Aloysius
Monte def Knox
Riverview def St Josephs

Snr B:
MLC def Ravenswood
Knox def Kambala
Barker def Abbotsleigh
Grammar def St Augustine's
Riverview def Tangara
Monte def Kincoppal
Loreto def St Aloysius
Scots def PLC Sydney

Updated 17th May

Some general observations so far:
Pool A decimated in Snr A. 4 Upset results: Cranbrook, Abbotsleigh, Kincoppal, Kings

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
What were all the results of Octo 1? which teams are proceeding on to Quarter finals?
The only other result I know is that Aloys y8 def. Redlands. Id imagine beyond what we have already mentioned and posted already, a full range of results wont go up until the octos are done and the quarters get worked out. I just dont think anyone got all the information.

Anyway, is someone (DRH?) able to provide insight into the grammar snr a debate?
Also, aka_the_think, do you have the aff/neg sides for those senior results you posted?

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Grammar Senior A were Neg; Cranbrook Aff.
IMO Cranbrook were the more solid team on the night . Strong, detailed, well thought out model elaborated on by each of the team members. Rebuttal was superior, hammering home successive points which were not adequately or fully engaged in by Grammar. Cranbrook's team overall were far more cohesive. Solid response from each of Cranbrook's speakers. Cranbrook impressive at third speaker particularly who nuanced the argument well.
Disappointing for Grammar after its string of wins leading into the Octos but Cranbrook were the deserved winners in this debate.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sounds similar to the Aloys Snr A debate. Though flipped aff/neg. Though even that debate had some problems on the neg side, just wasn't enough for Aloys to win over. On the other hand the other senior debates I heard about were apparently quite easy victories.

Is anyone going to be at octos 2 or know people at octos 2? Can you please make a note of topics (for all divisions). Results probably less important given they will go up over the weekend although if you can keep track of aff/neg wins for Snr it would be useful insight.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Riverview beat Joeys.
Scots beat Trinity.
Barker beat Shore.
Kings beat MLC.

Octos:

Abbotsleigh vs Cranbrook

Scots vs Kincoppal
Riverview vs Monte
Barker vs Kings

I know Riverview vs Monte in Senior B. Would be interesting if both Senior A and Senior B debates were at the same location - double header. Not sure about others.

Riverview lost Primary B to MLC. Don't know any other results.

Can someone work out how many teams each school has in quarters?

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Updated my earlier post.
Pool A in Snr A had a bad octo. Wiped out. No full results yet so I'll crunch the numbers once the finals draw gets updated.

Snr b results?

Also what were the topics?

#thetruth

Frank Row (1)
The senior topic was TWS prosecute individuals who illegally download music, tv shows and films
As for snr B Knox knocked out Kambala from the negative
The year 10 topic was TWS stop funding Australian films and tv shows
Anyone have any other snr b results from Octo 2?

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Number of teams entering finals, sorted by group.
Below is the detailed finals rankings. (I haven't checked for any copy errors yet. Also I've started crossing out teams as they get eliminated)
TxsPoOs.png

ZTXkayr.png

Once the octo results are finalised Ill add a new column for quarters teams left.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Updated the results for seniors for octos in my earlier post. Based off what information Ive managed to gather the Quarter Final Draws for Senior are as follows:
Senior A
D4 Cranbrook v C3 Abbotsleigh
C1 Monte v D2 Riverview
B1 Barker v D3 Kings
D1 Scots v B3 Kincoppal

Senior B
A1 MLC v B2 Knox
B4 Loreto v D2 Scots
B1 Barker v A2 Grammar
D1 Riverview v C2 Monte

(one or two were results I got from people who weren't 100% sure so it might change)

aka_the_think correctly identified a Riverview/Monte double header and interestingly if Aloys snr A survived it would have also been an Aloys/Scots one too... not to be sadly. Interested in what aka_the_think rates the View chances as being, given they meet an undefeated Snr A team which managed to defeat schools including Shore, Abbotsleigh and Aloys, with the latter two schools having state squad speakers in their midst. Even the D1 ranked view Snr B team isnt a sure thing, having lost to D4 Ravenswood in Round 6 suggesting that they can be undone by a lower ranked team.

For you Grammar fans, the remaining hopes and dreams of the senior Grammar debating also face an interesting battle with Barker Snr B team also undefeated in their season whereas one of Grammar Snr B's two losses was against the lower ranked A4 Tangara in round 7.
On the other hand, it looks like Scots Snr A will have an easier run to the Grand final now with Grammar out leaving only 3rd/4th ranked teams between them and the Grand Final.
Only so much can be inferred from the results but Im happy to look at other matchups if people want.
Other stats
School breakdown for Quarter Finals:
Snr A
Archdale: 3
GPS: 3
CAS: 2

Snr B
Archdale: 3
GPS: 3
CAS: 2

Total
Archdale: 6
GPS: 6
CAS: 4
Other: 0

Edit updated as incorrectly listed Loreto Snr b as a loss, was not the case, as that was Snr A outcome.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
The full draw you can find on the website. Here is a visualisation of remaining teams, plus a calculation of how many remain and as a percentage of those entering finals.
With the octos done, the season is over for Brigidine, Joeys, Queenwood, St Luke's, St Catherine's and St Augustine's who join St Andrews on the list of schools who have no remaining teams. Other notable observations are Shore and Tangara who lost 4/5 teams and Aloys who lost 3 1st/2nd ranked teams, two of which are Snrs. MLC and Grammar maintain a clear dominance in the draw team wise with 6 teams each, though neither will claim the Senior A victory anymore.
sW3qSQt.png

rOaYwqh.png

In other news, Archdale topic areas are out:

1. Education
2. Gender Issues
3. Australian Politics
4. Sport and Popular Culture
5. Law and Order
6. International Issues
7. The Government's Role in Society
Looks v. similar to last year from memory, though Id expect some change in topics given a new CA. Really hope dereg is not going to come up in round 1. Round 1 which starts in a week.

debating4lyf

Frank Row (1)
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, it is sooo amazing and informative.

Can't wait for the results tonight, who's going to post them?? It's going to be some intense results, especially Riverview v Monte debates, my sources say that the Monte team are awesome and will CRUSH Riverview, does anyone else have the same opinion?

proudtopropose

Frank Row (1)

Can't wait for the results tonight, who's going to post them?? It's going to be some intense results, especially Riverview v Monte debates, my sources say that the Monte team are awesome and will CRUSH Riverview, does anyone else have the same opinion?

I agree, Monte probably with the victory, at least in Senior A, unless there was a rogue adj or unusual circumstance. I'm also impressed with this forum.

Any updates on results?

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
I feel like we need a separate banter thread. I imagine its only going to ramp up as the grand final approaches...

Anyway, senior topic was about politicians from underrepresented backgrounds making their background a significant issue in their leadership. intermediate topic was about politicians and their families being made to use public services... (cant remember actual wording for either. Also didnt get primary/junior...)
Result wise I know Knox had a bad night with year 10 and senior b out which means Tangara y10 and MLC snr b through. Havent heard anything from anyone else yet. aka_the_think? #thetruth? ontheside?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)

In a very close debate Riverview got up. It would appear as if they were crushed in the banter department - perhaps Al's suggestion is fair (though I doubt there's sufficient demand). On a side, I heard that there may be a Riverview v Monte social debate? A chance for vengeance perhaps?

Kings def. Barker.

Scots def. Kincoppal.

Scots are the only remaining undefeated team - if Cranbrook won then all four of the semi-finalists were from Pool D (or whatever that pool was). On that note, anyone know who won out of Abbotsleigh and Cranbrook?

In Senior B Monte got up over Riverview, I'm not sure about other results.

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Abbotsleigh and Cranbrook debate was postponed at Abbotsleighs request (apparently as one of their team in state team and away in quarter final week; wonder whether every other team with a speaker on state team would have also been postponed eg Grammar if they hadn't been out; Sceggs if they were in ISDA? and Sydney Boys and girls whom it doesnt affect).
In Senior A which sides got up on affirmative of the topic?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Abbotsleigh and Cranbrook debate was postponed at Abbotsleighs request (apparently as one of their team in state team and away in quarter final week; wonder whether every other team with a speaker on state team would have also been postponed eg Grammar if they hadn't been out; Sceggs if they were in ISDA? and Sydney Boys and girls whom it doesnt affect).
In Senior A which sides got up on affirmative of the topic?

Seems fair enough to me.

Riverview and Scots were on the aff. to my knowledge.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was just joking about the banter thread... metaBanter.

Does anyone have the outcome of Barker v Grammar or Scots v Aloys (both snr b)? Theyre both the other results in seniors to confirm.

Speaking of Nationals. Grand Final is NSW v Qld. Topics (most of them at least.) are as follows:
Round 1
-That receipt of welfare should be conditional on passing a drug test
-That, once sufficient welfare services have been provided to every citizen, govs should not care about relative inequality
-That the government should sell public housing properties in suburbs with high property values

Round 2
-That a hung senate is good for the Australian political system
-?
-?

That left of centre parties should actively undermine and openly criticise nationalism (SA/NSW Opening Debate. Done prior to Round 1)

Round 3
-That there should be character tests for owning or participating in professional sporting teams"
-That we should ban sporting teams with racist, queerophobic or sexist fans from international sporting competitions
-?

Round 4 Economics and Consumption:
-That the government should actively discourage consumerism
-That the Asia pacific region should have free movement of labour
-That income tax rates should be based on the wealth of your parents

Round 5
-That we should boycott Israel until they grant Palestinian statehood
-?
-?

Round 6
-That we should regret elite inner city private schools granting scholarships to indigenous Australians
-That students should be able to democratically decide the curriculum and policies of their schools
-That uni students who receive public funds from their govt should be forced to work for a sign. period of time in that country

Round 7
-That jurisdictions with racial tensions should source their police force entirely from the racially disadvantaged groups
-That racial minorities should receive an automatic sentence reduction
-?

Semi
NSW v Vic: That animal rights activists should be prepared to adopt violent and illegal tactics
QLD v WA: that we should ban the public denial of climate change

Prelim
QLD v Vic: that we regret the casting of LGBT actors in non-LGBT roles

Grand Final
NSW v QLD:That states should stop the memorialisation of war deaths
NSW win in 4-3 split
Also:
2015 Aus Schools Team:
Imogen Harper (c) NSW
Manning Clifford Qld.
Eden Blair NSW
Sarah Bostock Vic