• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks, Round 15 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
OK I'll bite.
Looks like a shanked miss-kick to me. JOC (James O'Connor) worked hard to get into position to receive the pass (5/8 was down injured IIRC) after several phases. He was knackered and that led to the kick being made hurriedly with the inside of his boot, not on the laces or outside of the boot.
Not a justification - just an explanation of how pressure causes mistakes.

Most kicks are kicked with the instep and any kick for distance almost always is.
Ive watched it many times and it comes off the boot very cleanly. He seemed late on the ball maybe - which is quite hard to do.
There was no pressure - he was arguably too deep.
I'm not seriously suggesting anything sinister, by the way, but it is one of the lowest ebbs I've seen in some pretty low tides over the years.
Blaming Thomson for the half time stuff up is ridiculous - what did he want him to do and what was he doing there if he didnt want the ball??
Not good signs for Beiber Boy's attitude.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
apparently Greene went missing for QLD A last year and the powers that be have long memories.

D

daz

Geez, I have to say that while I am not JOC (James O'Connor)'s biggest fan, I felt for the lad after that "kick". A bit like a soccer goalie watching the ball dribble between his legs and into the net.

Very unfortunate, and I think we should cut him a bit of slack on this. Is he really so stupid as to do something like that on purpose, and make himself look like a complete goose, when he is trying to get a RWC gig?

Nope.

D

daz

Well all of us in Mexico are laughing at that brain fart kick. Different Reds side showed up from last week, Genia went to the short side way to often.

I'm not fucking laughing. It just twists the knife a bit more to show how fucking badly we let 4 fucking precious points go begging.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
OH for gods sake people, it was just a poor kick.

Didn't get under the ball, and as a result hit the ball high sending it flat.

An extra 5/100ths of a second earlier and it goes 40m up field, like most of his kicks. Everyone's done it.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Genia- Look James, you won the hair styling round but Adam is just better at accessorizing, deal with it.

That's quite a worrying picture. Anyone got a longer, video version of that? I'd really like to check out the lead up, who is going off etc etc

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Thomson was always playing this style of footy; lazy, yet gleaming when it came to the big plays. Just have a look at his highlanders and All Blacks highlight reels.. A lot of action from the wing. And yes, he's always been one to aim high.. Another lazy tactic, eg; Radike Samo try vs All Blacks a few years back.. Brushes past Richie McCaw, hands of Thomson!

Well, highlight plays, not surprising they would be out wide surely. I seem to remember thinking he was quite a good player when he played for us. Anyone can look good in a team that's playing well though, and vice versa. Must be disappointing to be a Reds fan now. How'd they throw away a team like 2011?

I remember that Samo try very well. Thomson injured his shoulder in the lead up to that. Went off for the game straight after the try and GOAT was no where near the play.

That's quite a worrying picture. Anyone got a longer, video version of that? I'd really like to check out the lead up, who is going off etc etc

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...per-rugby-season/story-e6frf4v3-1227366152563

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That JOC (James O'Connor) kick featured some pretty bloody lazy defence from the Reds. No one on the blind protecting the kicker. Terrible by JOC (James O'Connor) but equally so by his team mates. It may not have changed the outcome of that incident, but is indicative of the standards within the team.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
In the professional era, I am wondering if the QRU are doomed to be consistent underperformers like the Lions and the McKenzie period just a positive blip.

Taken a look at the log recently? Reds have half the points the Lions do. With regard to them being "Perennial Easybeats" I think you overlook the fact that the Lions have very little by way of Springboks - Compare that with the Wallaby headcount in the Reds?

So tell me who is really underperforming?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting aside: Jim Tucker in the Courier Mail, on reporting the crowd figure of c.21k, called it 'inflated'.

He's made these sorts inferences before re the 2015 Reds' crowd figures. I wonder what he knows that we don't.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Taken a look at the log recently? Reds have half the points the Lions do. With regard to them being "Perennial Easybeats" I think you overlook the fact that the Lions have very little by way of Springboks - Compare that with the Wallaby headcount in the Reds?

So tell me who is really underperforming?
The lions are consistently near the bottom of the log over the course of their super rugby history. They have had their blip years, sure, but mostly they are at the bottom.

My point is that perhaps the reds in the profesional era are the same.

It has little to do with the number of wallabies or springboks in the squad now, or ever. Most teams in all sports will generally have good years and bad years in a pretty cyclical manner.

Those teams that do not (and consistently stay near the bottom) are underperformers.

No need to be precious about it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting aside: Jim Tucker in the Courier Mail, on reporting the crowd figure of c.21k, called it 'inflated'.

He's made these sorts inferences before re the 2015 Reds' crowd figures. I wonder what he knows that we don't.

What don't we know? I think we all know the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.