• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
The last 3 games I have seen of Padua they have shown tremendous strength. Watched Padua vs Eddies and Eddies have a lot of players who were hyped up but didn't perform that well. Padua's next few games won't be a problem and if anything it was a benefit that they played the 3 toughest teams in the competition straight up. I will predict the AIC 1 team not sure about the names.

AIC 1 XV

1. LHP Liam ADAMS, #1 Marist College Ashgrove
2. H - Jack KELLY, #1 St Patrick's College
3. THP Thomas O'TOOLE, #3 Padua College
4. RL Michael WOOD, #4 Padua College
5. LL Sonny Ah SAN, #5 Padua College
6. BSF Justin SIKIMETI, #6 St Patrick's College
7. OSF Wyatt SETU, #6 St Edmund's College
8. No 8 Archie TAYLOR, #8 St Edmund's College
9. Half Max BAKER, #9 Villanova College
10. Fly L Lawson CREIGHTON, #10 Padua College
11. Wing Andrew RICHARDSON, #15 St Edmund's College
12. IC Mana CECIL, #12 St Patrick's College
13. OC Gabriel KOPANA, #13 Marist College Ashgrove
14. Wing Campbell MOHR, #15 Marist College Ashgrove
15. FB John HONOUR, #15 Padua College

#1 should either be Liam Usher, Liam Adams or Tom Rafter. I do think Ashgrove may get 1 prop in for their dominate scrum. Otherwise Eddies #2 Josh Schweitzer will come in which may be the case however Jack Kelly has played all positions in the front row before and can throw in the line out. Kelly and O'Toole are key players. Michael Wood and Sonny Ah San are by far hands down the best locks. Wood has a great running game and San is by far the best player in AIC at counter racking and being a pest, I honestly don't think he gets the credit he deserves for his work in the rack. Sikimeti and Taylor are great runners. Setu had a great game against Padua today with countless steals and made numerous game saving tackles on their 22 and on O'Toole. Schwenke was not as effective as he was against Ashgrove and may be a key player of the bench. Baker as potential on making queensland and MacDonald isn't the same as last year. Creighton is superb and knows when to run or pass, if he does confro I see Auld taking his place but I'm told he will play AIC. Richardson is better on the wing and I do think he will get picked on the wing as will Mohr. Honour has been great and shows up every game. Cecil and Kopana for inside and outside centre but depending on what is happening with Josh Fernandez. It may be too late for him but I can easily seeing him playing 12 if he comes back next week and shows coaches his skill.

pretty fair prediction. Eddies 9 was AIC 1 9 last year though, so you would think he'd have to be a chance being a second year player? Not sure Ah San from Padua is physically there yet. Schwenke would be really close for the #7 spot, Eddies #12, not sure name? is a gun.

Mohr on the wing is a great call.

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
Just because Padua forwards may have managed to beat Marist's in a game at home that meant a lot to them as a school does not mean they deserve AIC selection more. AIC selection is not based off one game. There are three games left so I think the AIC predictions this early on may be a bit unnecessary. Always hate to see them mid way through the season. Was just stating that a hatrick to a blindside flanker all, as I said, based pretty much off individual brilliance is sending a message. Even if against Iona. Not too sure who the Pats blindside is but I look forward to trying to get around to that match up.

harriez_94

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just because Padua forwards may have managed to beat Marist's in a game at home that meant a lot to them as a school does not mean they deserve AIC selection more. AIC selection is not based off one game. There are three games left so I think the AIC predictions this early on may be a bit unnecessary. Always hate to see them mid way through the season. Was just stating that a hatrick to a blindside flanker all, as I said, based pretty much off individual brilliance is sending a message. Even if against Iona. Not too sure who the Pats blindside is but I look forward to trying to get around to that match up.
Perfectly said.

brad

Frank Row (1)
But if selectors see them as fairly evenly match across the now 6 rounds, then you would almost have to select the player that performed better in the direct matchup.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
galloper you're not serious about that comparison are you ? This year's Padua team is a much more complete team than their team last year. They have genuine 1stXV players 1-15, last year they carried half a forward pack. Let's wait and see how the season ends up, but I reckon we'll be talking about this year's Padua team for years to come. Saying they would have finished 5th in 2013 is absolutely ridiculous. They were almost the first team EVER, to keep Ashgrove scoreless in a 1stXv game. (With 14 men for half the game and a very lopsided penalty count). Now admittably, Ashgrove aren't that strong this year, but it gives you an idea of the quality of their side.
Let's wait and see how the season unfolds.

Are you serious? I'm betting you're a young Padua student with no recollection of how good AIC has been in the past and no idea how bad it is now. If this years Padua team competed in 2013 they would have been destroyed even more their 2013 predecessors. 2011 was the most competitive year in AIC ever. The last 2 years have been pathetic. Not trying to take anything away from this years Padua team (they are this season's best) but they aren't anything special compared to what we've had in the past. The teams that will be remembered will be SLC 2008, Villa 2010, and Iona 2013.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting reading this. I think a few things can be agreed upon though.
1. The 1.30pm timeslot for 1st XV should never be seen again after this year.
2. It's quite possibly Iona's worst ever 1st XV side. Potentially also Ashgrove and Lauries.
3. I think every school bar arguably Padua had a better side last year.
4. Padua will be a better side next year I feel, I think their 2011 side was better than this year.
5. The quality of rugby has been terrible in the 3 Lauries game I've seen, I fear for AIC 1 this year. Lauries have been having a far greater dig though than the last few years. I don't think any AIC teams would beat a GPS side this year. In my opinion anyhow.
6. The Villa 9 will be the AIC 1 no.9 he was a standout yesterday.
7. Dan McHugh from Lauries should be in contention to partner O'Toole in the front row.
8. I really hope Lauries can develop the current 15's age group, they are a good chance to win AIC in 2 years if they get things right.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
AIC 2015

1. Liam Adams ASH
2. Jack Kelly SPC
3. Tom O'Toole PAD
4. Michael Wood PAD
5. Lachlan Mckinnon ASH
6. Justin Sikimeti SPC
7. Louis Schwenke PAD
8. Archie Taylor SEC
9. Tom MacDonald SEC
10. Lawson Creighton PAD
11. Andrew Richardson SEC
12. Mana Cecil SPC
13. Jamie Salamone PAD
14. Connor Mohr ASH
15. John Honour PAD

16. Josh Schweitzer SEC
17. Liam Usher PAD
18. Tom Rafter ASH
19. Sonny Ah San PAD
20. Wyatt Setu SEC
21. Max Baker VILLA
22. Carter Auld SEC
23. Gabriel Kopana ASH

This is a solid lineup. Mckinnon is the best choice at #5 as he is easily the best line out jumper in the comp. Kopana seams to exhaust himself in the first 30 mins so he would be better on the bench, Salamone is a more complete outside centre. Allan Wratten (ASH 6) is a talented loose forward but Sikimeti takes it terms of physicality and line out jumping. Schwenke more aggressive than Setu. Max Baker is a great 9 but I think MacDonald will triumph as he is familiar against GPS.

Chaimans XV:
Dan Shepperd IONA
Dan Mchugh SLC
SPC #5
Allan Wratten ASH
Kyle Cook IONA
Connor Lacey SEC

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Are you serious? I'm betting you're a young Padua student with no recollection of how good AIC has been in the past and no idea how bad it is now. If this years Padua team competed in 2013 they would have been destroyed even more their 2013 predecessors. 2011 was the most competitive year in AIC ever. The last 2 years have been pathetic. Not trying to take anything away from this years Padua team (they are this season's best) but they aren't anything special compared to what we've had in the past. The teams that will be remembered will be SLC 2008, Villa 2010, and Iona 2013.

Isn't it a coincidence that when a dark horse school such as Padua or Eddies come up with a legitimate premiership contending First XV all the sour grapes come out? You cannot say that these boys are not as skillful as their predecessors. It is very disrespectful as I have no doubt that these boys train hard for years to have shot at winning the biggest AIC premiership. Saying that this year's competition isn't as strong as years before because the competition's traditional strong schools such as Ashgrove and SLC aren't performing is disrespecting the hard work that schools such as Padua and Eddies are doing at the moment. You can only give them praise for what they have done after suffering for most of the last decade without much success on the field. However, I would agree that the SLC 2008, Villa 2010 and Iona 2013 teams are strong packs that would do well in the 2015 competition, but I think it is best to wait until the season is over before making a judgement on the 2015 teams vs the teams of the past. Some of the best footy doesn't come until the end of the season when premierships could be wrapped up and upsets could be made.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
I will comfortably disagree. Just because the Paduan forwards were a lot more rough and dirty around the breakdown and in lineouts does not mean they are more skillful. O'Toole was very well dealt with by the Ashgrove #1 Rafter, Wood was impressive however. The Padua 5 and 7 need to work on not giving away so many penalties. The Paduan 7 may have got 1 or 2 pilfers, but gave away about 8 penalties in the process. A lot of potential in the Paduan side although, was an impressive game.
I didn't observe any dirty play at all - rough? They're not playing marbles :)If I'm a coach I expect the forwards to play rough - it worked because the Ashgrove pack gave up halfway through the second half - The Padua boys did lack discipline early - thE occasion got to them probably - each to their own but I didn't see any MCA outplay his opposite in any area of the game - MCA scrum was dominant in the first half before they gave up.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think the fact that the AIC team got thrashed 55-0 by their GPS counterpart last year shows how badly the standard of the AIC competition is decreasing.

Sure, there are some standout players who could have a solid crack at state and even national level. But Galloper could not be more on the money with his comparisons. Four Australian schoolboys came out of the AIC 2013 competition, whilst last year the AIC barely scraped into the QLD teams with just three players and this year doesn't look to be much different.

rugbyXV

Stan Wickham (3)
AIC 2015

1. Liam Adams ASH
2. Jack Kelly SPC
3. Tom O'Toole PAD
4. Michael Wood PAD
5. Lachlan Mckinnon ASH
6. Justin Sikimeti SPC
7. Louis Schwenke PAD
8. Archie Taylor SEC
9. Tom MacDonald SEC
10. Lawson Creighton PAD
11. Andrew Richardson SEC
12. Mana Cecil SPC
13. Jamie Salamone PAD
14. Connor Mohr ASH
15. John Honour PAD

16. Josh Schweitzer SEC
17. Liam Usher PAD
18. Tom Rafter ASH
19. Sonny Ah San PAD
20. Wyatt Setu SEC
21. Max Baker VILLA
22. Carter Auld SEC
23. Gabriel Kopana ASH

This is a solid lineup. Mckinnon is the best choice at #5 as he is easily the best line out jumper in the comp. Kopana seams to exhaust himself in the first 30 mins so he would be better on the bench, Salamone is a more complete outside centre. Allan Wratten (ASH 6) is a talented loose forward but Sikimeti takes it terms of physicality and line out jumping. Schwenke more aggressive than Setu. Max Baker is a great 9 but I think MacDonald will triumph as he is familiar against GPS.

Chaimans XV:
Dan Shepperd IONA
Dan Mchugh SLC
SPC #5
Allan Wratten ASH
Kyle Cook IONA
Connor Lacey SEC

I respect your comment, but if Ashgrove's Mckinnon makes AIC 1 I will be hugely disappointed with the selectors. If AIC ever want to at least challenge GPS 1,2 or 3 by the slightest bit they need to pick a big side with mongrel in them. I honestly think the forward pack won't do to bad against GPS but the backline is right on line to getting DOMINATED. There is such a lack or rugby quality being produced in AIC that it is appalling. This would be my big, aggressive and mongrel pack to challenge GPS.
1. UP FOR GRABS - USHER, ADAMS, RAFTER or SCHWEITZER (2 KELLY GOES 1)
2. Jack KELLY
3. Thomas O'TOOLE
4. Michael WOOD
5. Louis SCHWENKE
6. Justin SIKIMETI
7. Wyatt SETU
8. Archie TAYLOR

I really think Schwenke is better off playing second row. His speed and power is great with the 3 games I have seen of him however he can easily disappear if someone puts a good tackle on him and he sometimes get more penalties against him then to him when pilfering. However, he is a hard runner and does have a lot of aggression in him. Setu from eddies is a perfect build for #2 but making the transition to flanker to hooker is much harder and difficult then making the transition from hooker to flanker. I really enjoyed his game on the weekend but it depends how he has gone in past games and how well he goes good in future games. Taylor is one of the best players in the competition. Made numerous meters with every run against a strong defensive padua line.

Eli Jensen

Frank Row (1)
Just from what I've seen there are a lot of people picking these AIC 1 teams off reputation! If I was picking it would be on form and the team would be a lot different.

In my opinion people are over rating Padua and under estimating Ashgrove.. I would love to see a rematch of these 2 great sides. I watched that game and it was only crucial errors at bad times that brought Padua of the back foot in the game. Aswell as Ashgroves kicker missing both penalty shots which could have had a huge impact on the game. I believe even though Padua tackled very well Ashgrove had the much stronger pack.
Peters have a few good individuals but I sometimes think they lack some rugby sense but are still good and skilled players.
I have not seen much of eddies or lauries so I cannot comment.
It has been a fairly disappointing year for Iona and Villa, both of these sides contain good halfbacks, especially max baker AIC 1 contender.

Over rated Players:

Tom O'Toole, one of the best front rowers in the comp but this year seems everyones catching up and he also seems lazy.
Schwenke, gives away to many penalties, very aggressive but not smart.
Mana Cecil, good through contact but slow, bad pass. Is just over rated player for what he has produced this year.

Players to look out for that have not been mentioned in predictions:

Pats fullback, Strong Defense and good through contact. Not sure of name.
Ashgrove front rower, Rafter. Deceptively strong and hasn't lost scrum yet, paired with Adams and Cuneo.
Ashgrove flanker, Brosnan. Alot of his work goes unnoticed but he has one of the highest work rates I have ever seen. Like to see the pilfer stats of the comp! Can nearly guarantee he would be on top, he is an animal! His blindside partner wrattan had a blinder against Iona, great footwork.
Villa Halfback, Max Baker. good all round smart player.
Ashgrove 12, Sullivan. Surprising powerful for his size and very agile. Very hard runner of the ball! Can't wait to see the match up against Cecil.

Reply if you think I'm wrong, would like to see opinions about my potential AIC 1 players

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good chat Eli- you've got some serious blue & gold glasses on. To rate Ashgrove's pack over Padua's is interesting to say the least. Last year Marist 1stXV pack bullied Padua's out of the game, I wouldn't say it was a complete turn around, but I certainly didn't see much that impressed me about Ashgrove's pack besides the scrum. Mate accept that for one year Ashgrove aren't great - keep talking up a return match, Padua would brace it - with 15 men for the full game it could get ugly.

macdaddy

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting points being raised about teams from this year against teams from years goneby. For instance I think Iona, Villa and Peters would probably be wiped out by their 2013, 2010 and 2012 teams respectively but it would be very interesting to have seen this years Padua, Eddies and Ashgrove teams play their 2011 counterparts. Particularly the Padua 2011 v 2015 teams, given the similar styles that both teams played.

Koty30832

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just from what I've seen there are a lot of people picking these AIC 1 teams off reputation! If I was picking it would be on form and the team would be a lot different.

In my opinion people are over rating Padua and under estimating Ashgrove.. I would love to see a rematch of these 2 great sides. I watched that game and it was only crucial errors at bad times that brought Padua of the back foot in the game. Aswell as Ashgroves kicker missing both penalty shots which could have had a huge impact on the game. I believe even though Padua tackled very well Ashgrove had the much stronger pack.
Peters have a few good individuals but I sometimes think they lack some rugby sense but are still good and skilled players.
I have not seen much of eddies or lauries so I cannot comment.
It has been a fairly disappointing year for Iona and Villa, both of these sides contain good halfbacks, especially max baker AIC 1 contender.

Over rated Players:

Tom O'Toole, one of the best front rowers in the comp but this year seems everyones catching up and he also seems lazy.
Schwenke, gives away to many penalties, very aggressive but not smart.
Mana Cecil, good through contact but slow, bad pass. Is just over rated player for what he has produced this year.

Players to look out for that have not been mentioned in predictions:

Pats fullback, Strong Defense and good through contact. Not sure of name.
Ashgrove front rower, Rafter. Deceptively strong and hasn't lost scrum yet, paired with Adams and Cuneo.
Ashgrove flanker, Brosnan. Alot of his work goes unnoticed but he has one of the highest work rates I have ever seen. Like to see the pilfer stats of the comp! Can nearly guarantee he would be on top, he is an animal! His blindside partner wrattan had a blinder against Iona, great footwork.
Villa Halfback, Max Baker. good all round smart player.
Ashgrove 12, Sullivan. Surprising powerful for his size and very agile. Very hard runner of the ball! Can't wait to see the match up against Cecil.

Reply if you think I'm wrong, would like to see opinions about my potential AIC 1 players

Is this the fullback in defense or attack because Ferguson 10 who plays fullback in defence and Hunt who plays fullback in attack but defensive 10?

Dan Harper

Frank Row (1)
Isn't it funny how Padua look to be the best team in the aic and no one can swallow their pride and admit it, there has been some great teams in recent years, but you can't take anything away from the 2015 Padua 1st XV. Everyone keeps saying how great these Marist players are (no doubt they are good players) but Padua shut them down and took away any "individual brilliance" displays on the day.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Isn't it funny how Padua look to be the best team in the aic and no one can swallow their pride and admit it, there has been some great teams in recent years, but you can't take anything away from the 2015 Padua 1st XV. Everyone keeps saying how great these Marist players are (no doubt they are good players) but Padua shut them down and took away any "individual brilliance" displays on the day.
Agreed, there's no doubt that Padua are the best team in the AIC competition this year, it's just disappointing that the best team is still pretty stale when it comes to its predecessors.

I'm a little confused as to why people are having difficulty admitting it since we haven't won a premiership since 2011, so losing one or two games a year isn't new. But keep in mind that the strength of a school doesn't lie in the strength of its First XV.

macdaddy

Stan Wickham (3)

It's schoolboy sport, the most blind and unadulterated bias towards their school cause generally people only watch their school play, that trend is not all of a sudden going to change in 2015. People will always be quick to doubt schools like Padua because theyve only become good recently but at the end of the day winning silences everyone.. at least for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.