• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Misplaced criticism given that a brief review of just the 2 pages preceding your post showed at least one post from a supporter of 5 of the 6 schools playing in the 1sts comp with the exception being the absence of any obvious post from a Shore supporter.
Im here. Think you will find plenty of Shore supporters active on this site
. Gary Owen 3 and shortnallking both posted about shore. unfortunately no bragging rights came our way yesterday.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Went out to see the Shore v Joeys trial on Saturday.

This is not a report but here are some bullet points of the game.

Scoring (Joeys first)

7-0 - 6 mins - J 15 Clements try after S not numbered up.

12-0 - 10 mins - J 10 Wright - hypnotises S and he razzles-dazzles for try.

12-7 - 31 mins - S 15 Rixon kicks through and regathers as Js turn around. Top individual try.

19-7 - 33 mins - J 14 Jaffer-Williams after more Wright magic.

35 mins - Half-time

24-7 - 40 mins - J 10 Wright again from scrum - having a blinder.

24-14 -51 mins - S 15 Rixon intercepts for try when J on attack.

31-14 - 64 mins - J15 Clements - Wright involved again in move down right touch - ball switched left for top team try.

38-14 - ? - J6 Leaver

45-14 - ? - J4 O'Connell - set up by 2 - Horton.

Seven tries to two was about right.

Teams

Joeys slick in parts. Pack heavier by 55 kgs and played bigger too.

Joeys scrum dominated - even with 7-man scrum after Gittoes yellow card. Shore lineout problematic with bad throws.

As always J pack is like blue heelers but this year they are bigger than usual. A better unit than the backs who have good attacking wingers who are not strong defenders.

Backs more cohesive than Shore - but several handling mistakes regardless.

Shore faded at the end but Joeys kept going.

Shore 9 Yr 12 - 4 Yr 11 - 2 Yr 10 in 1st XV - Joeys 11 Yr 12 - 4 Yr 11.

Players

Shore - 15 Rixon and 10 Patrick (a fullback playing flyhalf) outstanding but otherwise Shore lacked quality. Skipper 6 Bragg and 5 Suttor decent but Joeys forwards relentless and blunted them.

Nobody like Jum Woodhill this year.

Joeys

10 Wright brilliant - big, agile flyhalf who could be Aus Schools fullback.

2 Horton and 6 Leaver NSW Is material - played hard, are fit.

4 Gittoes - tallest and heaviest player in both teams - looks like he is playing big this year also; another NSW Is prospect if he dominates in runs and tackles.

15 Clements - well organised and precise. Rep player.

16As - SJC 55-5
3's - 0-0 !!!!! A slight error - SJC 41-0
2's - SJC 27-5

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Correction to above, 3rds, Joeys 41- Shore 0.

Agree mostly with what's above altho I think it's tough to criticise the SJC defence out wide, I thought it was solid. The 2 tries conceded weren't as a result of any poor defence just individual performance from the shore player.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As many have previously stated: It is only a trial. Girdler will push for schoolboy representatives and will no doubt play First XV this year.

Still very unusual that a member of the champion 1sts team from the year before is selected in a 2nds trial - particularly the final trial before the competition starts.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Still very unusual that a member of the champion 1sts team from the year before is selected in a 2nds trial - particularly the final trial before the competition starts.

Nothing unusual.
He is coming back from injury Quick Hands.
He was originally scheduled for a lighter run but stepped up when there were late injuries.
He will be a force again this year.
Even lacking match fitness he made his presence felt.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Went out to see the Shore v Joeys trial on Saturday.

This is not a report but here are some bullet points of the game.

See post above - LG

Great report Mr Grant. I believe Shore had at least 1 try disallowed which would have made the score close before Joeys ran way with it. Think shore were trying a few things in the backs. I suspect Rixon will play 9 or maybe 10, Cowlie to return as well.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
With McGregor back this week, do you really think that he will have that much of an impact?

Considering he was a run on for Australian Schoolboys last year, led Riverview in points scored - amongst many other statistics.

Yes he will make a huge impact setting up teammates with his playmaking skills, leadership, ball running, backs structure, kicking game etc etc. Can change a game at any time. Huge X-factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Marv

Frank Row (1)
Look - say what you want about Scots losing to Kings, the fact is they are the reigning premiers, and will go into the season as favourites. Now I understand that they didn't play a full outfit, and as such I think we should wait till round 1 of the season to judge the preparation.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Correction to above, 3rds, Joeys 41- Shore 0.

I arrived in the second half and had to see a few people to get permission to get on the sidelines - then get some lunch. I'm almost certain that 0-0 was the score on the board when I arrived.

When I looked at the scoreboard at the end of the game it was still 0-0 - and I never saw a try scored when I glanced over to the game - maybe they didn't put the scores on the scoreboard, or maybe I am bonkers as has been suggested more than once.

It did seem an odd score Johnny and I feel like a goose.

Not for the first time.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I hope McGregor is back this week. By the sound of LG's report a Wright v McGregor battle could be a great spectacle.

Different players - Jack McGregor is a game manager who can run like a fullback when he has to; Thomas Wright is a fullback, who can play flyhalf (as he did sometimes when I saw him play U16s two years ago).

For those who don't know Wright - I will quote myself, in relation to a tournament in February at Narrabeen.

… is no surprise that Thomas Wright was the player of the tournament in the Boys National Youth Sevens.

Those who have seen him playing for Joeys in the last couple of years will realise that he was born to play in Sevens. There is a whiff of Campese in his play and he can be a deadly force when play opens up.

He's still at school so if you are a Sydney-sider wander over to Hunters Hill this winter to have a look at him.

And if you see an old bloke eating a "Rowers Lot" burger and spilling half of it over his strides it will probably be me.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
/. ... .../ When I looked at the scoreboard at the end of the game it was still 0-0

The Shore scoreboard was a bit of a mystery on Saturday. It wasn't even used until the 3rds game and as you say the result was quickly erased.

There was quite a few cricket scores in the lower opens and maybe the scoreboard operators didn't want to confuse the crowd as to which sport was on. haha

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Great report Mr Grant. I believe Shore had at least 1 try disallowed which would have made the score close before Joeys ran way with it. Think shore were trying a few things in the backs. I suspect Rixon will play 9 or maybe 10, Cowlie to return as well.

I'd be surprised if Rixon is moved to halfback now - Haskins played well and put through the box kick that lead to Rixon's try. I think they like Rixon's speed wider.

But I understand your thinking as he played halfback in the seconds last year and the year before he was selected as the Sydney and NSW U15 halfback - ahead of the likes of Will Wennerbom (Joeys 1st XV halfback) and Harrison Goddard (current Aust schools halfback / Oakhill).

Oli Cowley may have a job on his hands deposing Lachie Patrick whom has taken all his chances in the No. 10 jersey thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.