• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Manly duo of Matt Lucas and Sam Lane wouldn't be bad choices for 3rd string halves. Plus we'd get to piss off Dave as an extra bonus.

If Ben Lucas hasn't signed an extension with Montpellier, I wouldn't mind getting him. From a Pure depth perspective, Force look to be dropping Holmes with their signing of Jono Lance.

Or we could wait and see what the NRC unveils as well.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Dave will go ballistic if we get any more Manly players down here. But let's face it, obviously talented Sydney players will be content pulling beers and lifting bricks in the 'burbs when they could take up a professional contract in Melbourne...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Might seem crazy, but hear me out.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...t-time-i-will-play-for-munster-here-1.2223843

I think that signing POC would be ideal for us. With Neville going, amd the two younger locks not quite ready yet it would strengthen our 2nd row, and it would fulfill the vacuum of leadership that would emerge from the departure of Higgers. Plus, he's a genuinely fabulous player and bloke, who would make some ripples in signing with the rugby world. If the new investors aren't willing to shell out some cash now, when would they be?

Of course, the likelihood is that he signs on a massive paycheck in France or Japan, but I can dare to dream can't I?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^^Would be a good signing to increase the fan base, you would have all the Munster/Irish fans around Melbourne attend a few rugby games.

Don't know how much he would like TT to come play for him again.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Might seem crazy, but hear me out.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...t-time-i-will-play-for-munster-here-1.2223843

I think that signing POC would be ideal for us. With Neville going, amd the two younger locks not quite ready yet it would strengthen our 2nd row, and it would fulfill the vacuum of leadership that would emerge from the departure of Higgers. Plus, he's a genuinely fabulous player and bloke, who would make some ripples in signing with the rugby world. If the new investors aren't willing to shell out some cash now, when would they be?

Of course, the likelihood is that he signs on a massive paycheck in France or Japan, but I can dare to dream can't I?

Wouldn't signing here in Aus or for any other country's side spoil his favourable tax treatment for his Irish income?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Wouldn't signing here in Aus or for any other country's side spoil his favourable tax treatment for his Irish income?

Nope, he will be officially retired from Irish Rugby. Once he is no longer required for Ireland its as good as spending your career there.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Jersey against the Force in Round 18. Not to sure why?

CGIvIULWYAASzfc.jpg

T

TOCC

Nope, he will be officially retired from Irish Rugby. Once he is no longer required for Ireland its as good as spending your career there.

Well until the Rebels are officially taken over by the private investors I don't think they should be forking out big money for a foreign marquee player... Rebels are already a financial burden on the ARU and signing a foreign marquee player will essentially be a drain on ARU's finances, a ridiculous concept when Australia is losing its own test stalwarts to overseas money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Can't agree TOCC. Completely understand your point but you completely ignore the disadvantage that expansion franchises have in contracting and the emotional bond that players have with their home team.

For example, id imagine the Rebels would have a much higher chance of snaring POC than James Horwill. Them chasing overseas marquees is not spending money that would be actually going to Australian players because many Australian players would go offshore rather than play against their home town team.Should they be disadvantaged because many players would never play for a rival?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He's off to the dark side anyway, it's a moot point.

And WOOOOOÒOOOOOOOOOOOOOÒOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHNHHHHNNHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GLAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOÒOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Congratulations to oztimmay on winning the Early Rising Rebel competition.

Cheers mate :)

For sure, but really, how much of a competition was it? Did any other Rebel fan get up?

Yea, there were a few of us diehards tweeting the night away. Things might have got a little more subdued after the boxing match, but I stuck the match out. My issue was trying to get te boys back to bed - that was never gonna happen. They instead build an epic train track and let me go back to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.