• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardunders

Frank Row (1)
As the season is starting to heat up and the teams have really sorted themselves out into contenders and pretenders, i am just wondering whether the finals consists of 4 or 6 teams this year? Just cause the top 4 seems relatively similar in all 3 grades, yet there are a few teams like easts, eastwood and southern who pose a threat if they make the top 6

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
^^^ Did you hear who played well to lead the fightback?

Hugh, unfortunately I didn't see the game as had duties with Grade. Maybe @Couldabeen was there and can comment with authority?

However, having caught a few colts games this season, the likely suspects are prop Rohan Zebibe (fast runner, quick to pounce on loose ball and often scores from it) and hooker Ed Craig (lots of turnovers, strong runs and excellent reliability with throwing at line-out time). Craig is a mature player with great skills and a cool head (Aussie Schoolboy, NSW U20 campaigner) and often pulls out some big hits and strong runs at crucial times that turn a game around.

Second rower Joshua Bones and #6 Dan Cosgrove are huge workhorses midfield in attack and defence, and great lineout jumpers. Mark Quadrio is impressive at #8 (big busting runs). In the backs the standouts are fullback Josh Nohra (fast, reliable, great impact chiming into the backline) and #13 Lachlan Burland (often breaks first tackles and gets over the advantage line by receiving the pass at speed).

Having said that, it's always risky to single out individual players. The whole team (and 2s and 3s) are improving as the season progresses. It's one of those situations where the team together is performing better than just the sum if the individual parts.

I'd be keen to hear a match recount from an eye-witness at Forshaw. Sounds like it was a cracker of a game, and more again in just a few weeks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^@Sideline Eye is usually pretty good at posting the Woodies Match reports, but no report from him last week. :( Maybe he has been interstate with work or something. Hopefully he will come through with the goods this week.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I did not see any rugby this weekend past, but would love to hear some account of the Northern v Wicks game. Anyone?

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Reports back from the Gordon v Penrith colts games at Penrith on Saturday are that it was a fantastic day made possible by the super enthusiastic Penrith club. Their second grade colts have a lot of U17 players who are quality players.

Rather than watch this talent be targeted by clubs unwilling to produce their own players something must be done to stop the drain of players. If clubs want to take on a former Penrith player I think they need to financially compensate Penrith as well as make the points that player is worth so prohibitive that the recruitment is not worth it.

It might seem unfair to have one rule for one and another for the rest but these guys need some help. The AFL support their new clubs with draft concessions etc and I think we need to do the same.

They have had enough talent through the club over the last 5 years to now have a very successful program running if everyone would leave their players alone. We need to grow our game and a successful Penrith is integral to that aim.

Other ideas to help Penrith like recruitment officers, marquee players (Folau, Beale) is obviously not going to be supported by the ARU - it probably should - but the above could be supported by other clubs without ARU intervention.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I did not see any rugby this weekend past, but would love to hear some account of the Northern v Wicks game. Anyone?

The magnitude of the victory has many tipsters (less those with myrtle green in their blood) scratching their heads.

On paper the Norths side for the Wix was similar to that which cleaned up The Corporation, less Jack Clancy at 10, and they should have made a much better account of themselves. Meanwhile the Wix team nominated for Saturday seemed to be lacking in firepower up front compared to the team they rolled out against The Corporation in Round 7, although the addition of Mitch Short to the princesses would have made a big difference to how the finishers would have performed.

@couldabeen, The Wix website usually puts up a highlights video of all their games, but the highlights reels don't always show the true character of the game. Match reports are sometimes there but generally not.

Funny old game isn't it. The Corporation just get beaten by The Shoremen, who get thrashed by the Wix, who were just beaten by the Corporation. It is tight at the top of the table, but a recalibration of the GF contenders is probably in order and it is looking highly likely that the Wix and BuildCorp will be fighting it out for the W McMahon Memorial Shield once again, with defending premiers, The Gallopers, installed as the favourites.

Finals Eligibility
With so many State and National U20 Representatives at the Gallopers and BuildCorp, it may be timely to consider the eligibility criteria for the finals series:
To qualify for the finals series a player must:
a. have played at least 4 games for the club during the minor premiership season, or
b. if on rep duties, they must have played at least two games for the club during the current minor premiership season, or been registered with the club for two seasons.

Further, in terms of "team stacking" in the finals:
A player shall not be eligible to play in a Finals Series fixture in any grade lower than the grade in which he has played the majority of his last seven matches in the minor premiership.

A player can only play in the Final Series of the Colts Competition if he has played the majority of his last seven matches (or 60% of his season) in 1st, 2nd or 3rd Grade Colts and/or Third Grade or lower.

So it is unlikely we will see Andrew Kellaway playing in a Colts 1 Grand Final for the Gallopers, but we may see someone like Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui provided he doesn't get too many more 2nd Grade or higher starts after he returns from Jnr RWC (last 4 rounds).

Insight

Stan Wickham (3)

I would say the game was a little disappointing was expecting a little bit more from Norths saying that though I believe Randwick back line was much more effective utilizing their 12 to drive up the center drawing in players and spreading the ball wide I think the 11 had four tries 6,7,8 had an outstanding game with number eight very effective coming into the back line. Scrums were evenly matched with maybe Norths been slightly stronger, line-out also flavoring Norths overall Norths was outclassed never looked threatening at all Randwick defence was outstanding and their attack created many opportunities if anything they should have won by a lot more.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I would say the game was a little disappointing was expecting a little bit more from Norths saying that though I believe Randwick back line was much more effective utilizing their 12 to drive up the center drawing in players and spreading the ball wide I think the 11 had four tries 6,7,8 had an outstanding game with number eight very effective coming into the back line. Scrums were evenly matched with maybe Norths been slightly stronger, line-out also flavoring Norths overall Norths was outclassed never looked threatening at all Randwick defence was outstanding and their attack created many opportunities if anything they should have won by a lot more.
Thanks Insight.
I have only ever seen Northern play against The Corp, so I am still amazed at this result. Northern clearly get everything together when they play the Students.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
As the season is starting to heat up and the teams have really sorted themselves out into contenders and pretenders, i am just wondering whether the finals consists of 4 or 6 teams this year? Just cause the top 4 seems relatively similar in all 3 grades, yet there are a few teams like easts, eastwood and southern who pose a threat if they make the top 6
I would like to know this as well. Can anyone advise what the format for the Finals is this year? Thanks

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)

@HughJarse ??

Brentwood

Stan Wickham (3)
Wow, they must have been good out wide then?

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
It is final 6 - same as last year.

First week

1v6
2v5
3v4

3 winners and highest placed loser qualify for prelims the next week with those 2 winners in the GF the week after.

How is "higher placed loser" decided? Based only on the results in these three games? Points for win/draw/loss, bonus points for 4 tries and within 7, for and against, etc?

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
Really? Seems fairer if, once getting to top 6, there is a line drawn and you're all in with an even shot from there. Seems a little unfair to reach back to the season to decide who goes on from the 3 runners up. But I seem to recall now - delving into the dim mists of time - that is what always happens in finals rugby (grade, subbies, colts) - yes?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Finals Series for 2015 (Grade and Colts)
After the completion of the minor premiership rounds, the six highest placed teams on the Competition table in each Grade and Colts Competition will qualify for the Finals Series to determine the premiers of each grade as follows

Week 1 Quarter Finals
Match A 1st v 6th
Match B 2nd v 5th
Match C 3rd v 4th

Week 2 Semi Finals
Match D Highest Ranked QF Winner v Highest Ranked QF Loser
Match E 2nd Ranked QF Winner v 3rd Ranked QF Winner

Week 3 Grand Final
Winner Match D v Winner E

All games are at venues chosen by SRU (one team may or may not have a "home ground" advantage.

Using this weeks Colts 1 ladder as an example:
Scenario 1
Match A Randwick v Eastwood
Match B Sydney University v Southern Districts
Match C Northern Suburbs v Gordon

If those games go the way that the minor premiership games went:
Match D Randwick v Gordon
Match E Sydney University v Northern Suburbs

Grand Final will be Randwick v Northern Suburbs

Upset in the QF - Scenario 2
If the Hobbits roll BuildCorp in Match B then
Match D Randwick v Sydney University
Match E Northern Suburbs v Southern Districts

Grand Final will be Sydney University v Northern Suburbs

Remembering that The Shoremen and The Marlins have a catch up game to play against each other, the top 4 seem to have consolidated their position in the finals with only one more round before everyone has played everyone else once.
The scrap for the last two places in the finals looks to be really tight between Hobbits, Woodies, Beasties and Marlins, and it will come down to who turns up on the day in the last 7 games, as well as who has to face the fewest of those above them on the ladder, and who has the best depth to cover those selected for Team Rehab.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
Rather than watch this talent be targeted by clubs unwilling to produce their own players something must be done to stop the drain of players. If clubs want to take on a former Penrith player I think they need to financially compensate Penrith as well as make the points that player is worth so prohibitive that the recruitment is not worth it.
<snip>.
In 2014, 70 players played at least one game for Penrith in the Colts 1's or Colts 2's. They didn't field a Colts 3 team.

Of those 70 players, all except 2 are currently registered in Rugby Link and the missing 2 may be spelling mistakes/typo errors which is why they "can't be found".

Of the 68 from the Penrith Colts Class of 2014 on Rugby Link, all except 6 are still registered with Penrith. 1 has gone to Eastwood, 2 to Parramatta, 1 to Blacktown Subbies, 1 to Campbelltown Harlequins Juniors, and 1 to Sydney University.

According to Rugby Link:
The Eastwood registered player has not played any games in 2015 so far.
The Sydney University registered player is playing Colts 3 with a couple of cameos off the bench for Colts 2.
One of the Parramatta registered players is no longer Colts eligible, and is playing 3rd and 4th Grade.
The other Parramatta registered player is playing Colts 2 (mainly) with an occasional appearance in Colts 3, Colts 1, and 2nd Grade against Penrith.
The Blacktown Subbies and Campbelltown Juniors players have not had their names registered on a scoresheet this year.

Probably the most telling/disturbing statistic is that of the remaining 62 Penrith Colts 2014 players still on Rugby Link, only 18 appear to still be playing this year in either Colts or Grade Rugby with Penrith. 44 players are either injured or are no longer playing rugby.

The “leakage” of 4 former Colts players to 3 other clubs is of minor concern to the loss of 11 times that many from the game, and IMHO does not represent systematic plundering of Emus players.

I am sure that @Cattledog and the other hard working volunteers with the Emus are only too aware of this fact and that they are working their backsides off to try and do something about it. The rest of us need to realise that the main issue does not appear to be predatory clubs pinching Colts from Penrith.

Raids on former Penrith Juniors - maybe.
Raids on Penrith Grade players - yes.
Raids on Penrith Colts - No.

Bust The Line

Bob McCowan (2)
Gordon Colts Report - Half Way!
It’s been a while since I’ve typed up a weekly match report, so I thought I’d give an insight into how the Gordon Colts are travelling after 10 rounds of rugby, with 8 tough games ahead of them.

The Gordon 3rd’s Colts proved too strong for the Emu’s on the weekend, crossing the white line a total of 9 times to take away maximum 5 points, winning 55-7. Well done to James Ridge (wing) for scoring a mighty hat-rick of tries. The 3rd’s Colts have proved worthy title contenders, travelling through the season undefeated after 10 rounds and sitting second on the table. This weekend against Randwick will see a top of the table clash, as both sides seek to stand alone undefeated. The talent and skill of the Gordon 3rd’s Colts highlights the depth of the Highlanders program this year, with numerous boys pushing for a 2nd XV spot. Good luck to the 3rd’s Colts this weekend as what is shaping up to be a highly anticipated match and one not to miss!

After 10 rounds the Gordon 2nd Colts, coached by the father and son Phipps duo, sit in a respective 4th position with an 11 point lead on 5th placed, Eastern Suburbs. This team has boasted some large wins so far this season, having surpassed the 50 point mark on 4 separate occasions, and after 10 rounds, display a vast ‘For Points’ category of 373 points. Further, the team must be credited with tremendous defence within the forwards, having only conceded on average 2 tries per game. Superb performances within the team include Kirt Anthony, with a total of 127 points, and recent addition to the team, Sam Mete, who has scored 16 tries through speed and skill with the ball. This team is looking destined for a finals appearance, however, need to be more clinical when coming up against the top 3 teams if they wish to pursue a grand-final.

The Gordon 1st Colts flew by last year’s team winning record in the 2nd round and since then have played some skilful and entertaining rugby. In saying that, lapses in concentration have also been evident within games, as they have let teams fight back and create tight games which should have been closed off early in the 2nd half. Together with a strong and dynamic forward pack, and a sparking backline, the 1st Colts have proved too good for most opponents, currently sitting 4th on the ladder. However, mistakes and pushed passes are letting the team down when they come against tough opposition and they need to adopt some vigour and tenacity if they want to push Norths, Sydney University and Randwick to the edge. This weekend’s game will be a good test for the team, and if they turn up with a strong week of training under their belt, a smart game plan and play with front-foot ball then anything is possible.

The Gordon Colts program is strong, with 4 teams across the club, and from the results that they are obtaining, the skill level is high. 8 Rounds of rugby are all that remain for this season, and I’m sure there will be some great performances to come. I look forward to each team pushing forward and hopefully achieving the clubs common goal of making the finals.

Written by David Smerdon – Gordon Colts 1st’s Fly Half

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
I am really talking about the 6 players rumoured to have gone from Penrith to Easts in grade this year.

Not that I am picking on Easts as all clubs seem to hover over Penrith and I think it should be made much harder that is all. I think Gordon have a few as well as Randwick.

A similar analysis to the one above for grade may also prove me wrong.

F McGrath

Stan Wickham (3)
The game I watched saw Randwicks scrum all over the Norths scrum. A few great tight heads included.

Status
Not open for further replies.