• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT I don't think many GPS blokes are worthy of NRC spots but rather what Reg said.

Majority of the blokes in the backline have played some form of professional or rep footy and you get the feeling that a season at GPS has been more about a stepping stone than wanting to be involved at the club. There is no passion or loyalty at the moment which is a shame because the lower grades are having a pretty good season and proving what that is about.

T

Tigers Tale

TT I don't think many GPS blokes are worthy of NRC spots but rather what Reg said.

Majority of the blokes in the backline have played some form of professional or rep footy and you get the feeling that a season at GPS has been more about a stepping stone than wanting to be involved at the club. There is no passion or loyalty at the moment which is a shame because the lower grades are having a pretty good season and proving what that is about.

And Big Dog what I am saying is that a team that plays 38 of 40mins camped in the opposition 22 with about 80% of possession and against 13 for 10 of those minutes and doesn't threaten the try line doesn't deserve to have too many players in the NRC regardless of how good the players think they are or how highly they are regarded by the glue factory.

Just say it how it is and don't sugar coat it.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

Just on the other Grades, I watched Reserves and they showed good potency in attack and generally had some mongrel about them.

They almost let it slip in the last 10min but they deserved the win.

It was a big contrast to what the Premier side demonstrated.

I don't want to bag on (like TT is), but it's just a bit of a shock to see a GPS side (full of talent) play without any real desire. I'll stand up for your piggies who really took it to Easts up front, but the backs had no intent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And Big Dog what I am saying is that a team that plays 38 of 40mins camped in the opposition 22 with about 80% of possession and against 13 for 10 of those minutes and doesn't threaten the try line doesn't deserve to have too many players in the NRC regardless of how good the players think they are or how highly they are regarded by the glue factory.

mate that's exactly what he said! Read posts before you reply!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Mate I think you need to take a break as you've clearly got your own agenda on what you think needs to be said as it holds no relevance to what I'm trying to say. In none of my posts have I mentioned anything about players being highly regarded. Read before you post.

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog what you said was:-

"too many blokes playing for contracts trying to play individual footy rather than a team game."

I have no agenda with the GPS club I just call it how I see it, and all I was saying was that on the basis of the overall GPS effort/performance last Saturday that most of your guys are a long way off playing at NRC level, so what contracts are they playing for?

Clearly you are just being irritated by any mention I make of the GPS club so I promise that for the rest of this year I will not post another comment relating to the GPS club.

I will however watch with interest in the future to see which of the "blokes playing for contracts" get a crack at the next level, because I just don't think they are as good as they or the glue factory give them credit for.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
TT honestly mate, give the GPS stuff a rest. It's not inciting a decent conversation on it.

By all means, forums like this are fine for analysing teams poor performances etc, but there is no need to drag on about it.

Change topics I reckon. Let's go, can any of those down at Souths give us insight on to how they've developed to the point they're at the last couple of weeks? They are now well within striking distance of finals.

T

Tigers Tale

On a more pleasant note I too think it's great for Matho who is a great guy and good coach.

Filth I am sure you will be sad to lose a good guy that any club would be happy to have on board.

Matho will do a great job at Munster and we'll see the team "Stand up and Fight" at Thomond Park, Limerick.

Link to "Stand up and Fight" - Munster Rugby song -

The Miracle Match - they needed to win by 27 and score 4 tries to make the finals - did they?

T

Tigers Tale

T12, Souths do look dangerous.

I have no beef with our nearest neighbour - good like minded club - so there will be no baiting the Magpies nor will I be baiting Red Heavy/Cat_A ahead of next week's Uni clash.

All I will say is that Chipsy Wood is a tough place to go to and secure a win at anytime - so when the Tigers venture there in 3 weeks they will need to bring their "A" game - hopefully Ed Quirke will be on deck by then.

Easts have found it a very tough ask of recent times - i.e. winning at Chipsy Wood.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Young Munster RFC who play at Tom Clifford Park, Greenfields, Limerick, Ireland is different to Munster Rugby that plays at Thomond Park.

Young Munster RFC play in the Ulster Bank League Division 1.

Munster Rugby plays in the Guinness PRO12, Champions Cup and British & Irish Cup.

In no way am I denigrating Matho; I just wanted to clarify who Matho was going to be coaching next season. He will continue to grow as a coach with this international experience.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
TT honestly mate, give the GPS stuff a rest. It's not inciting a decent conversation on it.

By all means, forums like this are fine for analysing teams poor performances etc, but there is no need to drag on about it.

Change topics I reckon. Let's go, can any of those down at Souths give us insight on to how they've developed to the point they're at the last couple of weeks? They are now well within striking distance of finals.

It is not really surprising that the Magpies have clicked over the last couple of weeks. They have put out just about the same team for about the last three games and with the addition of Beau Robinson, they are getting the cohesion that a young team takes time to develop. There are only about 5 or 6 players in the team who were regulars in 2014 and with a new coaching structure it takes time to "click" as a team.
Look at the results in the 1st round and you will see that in at least two rounds they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Against Bond they had a kick from near to in front to win and missed and against Easts they had a similar kick for a draw. Against Brothers they came back from 24-0 to loose 24-17. Two of Brothers tries were the result of turnover ball as Souths were almost over the Brothers tryline. That's inexperience!!
The surprise loss to Norths after leading 17-0 could well prove the difference between 4th and 5th spot. That's how close the competition is amongst the top 6 teams. It may not happen in 2015 but if they keep this team together in 2016 and recruit better in Colts in 2016, watch out for the Magpies in 2016.
Please note that Australian Sevens flyer, Shannon Walker played his first game for Souths on Saturday. Hopefully he will be the finisher that Dom Lespierre was for the Magpies a couple of years ago

T

Tigers Tale

Glad to see Shannon Walker back in QPR, even if its not in a Tigers jersey.

He played his first game of XVs for Easts v Brothers in the Welsby Cup final at Crosby in 2012 and scored on debut.

I don't think he's played XVs since.

Lespierre was quick but I think Walker is quicker.

T

Tigers Tale

Further to Warhorse comments - you would have to pay credit to Brett Picone for the way the Magpies are playing - well done to him, he must be enjoying being back in the Black & White polo!!

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The coaching group of Buzz Picone, Elia Tuqiri and Van Humphries seems to be working well with this young team. Van has instilled some of his "never give up" attitude into the forwards and this was certainly evident on Saturday when 6 of Souths 8 tries were scored by forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.