• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has Dennis packed at lock in a "serious" scrum at test match level yet?

Fardy did against NZ last year and it did not go well.

I would be tempted to get him in there early in games during TRC to see how he goes

I wouldn't see him starting in the big tests. But I'd be happy with him v Fiji and Uruguay.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Simmons' form is decent though. There's no way Cheika is going to ditch the majority of the locks from last year and there are far more compelling reasons to drop Carter and Horwill.

It seems like a case of wishful thinking that people are looking for reasons to leave Simmons out.

Surely Horwill is dropped. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jones or Dennis over Carter too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Has Dennis packed at lock in a "serious" scrum at test match level yet?

Fardy did against NZ last year and it did not go well.

I would be tempted to get him in there early in games during TRC to see how he goes

I would be uncomfortable with either starting, but a 30 minute shift at the back end of the game? Sure

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I wouldn't have Hooper in my 23

Reasons being :

1. Gill and Pocock are better on the ball
2. McMahon is a true impact "power" player both as a ball runner and as a defender. His defensive work rate in particular is off the charts. McMahon also gives you a 3rd line out option if you are starting Cliffy at 8

Hooper has the 2nd highest tackle count in the comp, tell me how McMahon is the better defender. sure he throws in some rib ticklers every so often but so does Hooper. Hooper has the same running game. McMahon also being a 6...

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Alright, everyone seems to be giving their 31 man squads a crack... so I might as well join the party. Here is my 31 man squad based on a combination of current Super XV form and what they have delivered in gold in the past.

Forwards:

Loosehead: (1) Slipper and (2) Sio
Hooker: (3) Moore, (4) Polota-Nau and (5) Hanson
Tighthead: (6) Kepu, (7) Holmes and (8) Alexander*
Lock: (9) Skelton, (10) Simmons, (11) Horwill**, (12) Jones
Blindside: (13) Fardy and (14) Higginbotham***
Openside: (15) Pocock and (16) Hooper
No 8: (17) Palu and (18) McCalman

* I know Alexander is a 'controversial' selection given perceptions of weakness and being on of the scape goats of the loss to the Lions. However, he is a known at international level and can play both sides of the scrum. PAE is unknown at test level and only plays on the tighthead side. Advantage Alexander.

** Horwill has lost his mojo of circa 2011, however he is still a strong set-piece lock and a heart that bleeds gold. This RWC campaign has come twelve months early for Arnold and Coleman and Carter isn't anywhere near what he was last year.

*** Higgers has the ability to play at both No.8 and Blindside Flanker. Personally, I think this spot will come down to McMahon or Higginbotham with the scales tipped in Higger's favour.

Backs:

Scrum Half: (19) Phipps, (20) Genia and (21) White*
Fly-Half: (22) Foley and (23) Cooper**
Inside Centre: (24) To'omua and (25) Lealiifano
Outside Centre: (26) Kuridrani
Outside Backs: (27) Folau, (28) Ashley-Cooper, (29) Horne, (30) Speight, (31) Mitchell / O'Connor / Beale ***

* There has been some speculation that Gits will be included in the squad as cover for fly-half, inside centre and scrumhalf. I simply do not want to see Gits be anywhere near the 9 jersey - even if an emergency. Stirzacker is pushing hard for the third scrummie role. Very hard.

** Cooper has three Super XV games and time wit the Wallabies RC squad to impress. Otherwise Cooper out, Giteau in.

*** The last outside back / utility back is proving to be quite problematic. Neither JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale are currently selling themselves with their Super XV form but are known match winners for the wallabies. Mitchell's form by all reports is quite strong - but he was in and out of favour with Cheika in 2013. Smokey's like Naiyaravoro, Harris, Cummins and Tomane can all bash down the door with a strong finish to Super XV.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't have Hooper in my 23

Reasons being :

1. Gill and Pocock are better on the ball
2. McMahon is a true impact "power" player both as a ball runner and as a defender. His defensive work rate in particular is off the charts. McMahon also gives you a 3rd line out option if you are starting Cliffy at 8

Let the flaming begin

Hooper is the better defender over McMahon - I would like to see McMahon put on a big hit on a rampaging unit like Vaea in full flight.

If memory serves me correct McMahons "impact" and "power" at Test level was non-existent and Barbarian games don't count. He certainly is one for the future but he isn't in Hoopers or Pococks (proven Test players) league yet.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Some sensible comments T-Rex. I don't 100% agree but I think that's pretty close to what we'll be looking at.

Whether or not to include Horwill will be one of Cheika's most difficult selections. I'm undecided. Some people don't seem to recognise that his line-out and scrum work is second only to Simmons. My observation of him this year (and I'd like to know other people's views on this) is that he is generally okay around the ground for the first 30-40 minutes and then gets sloppy, misses tackles, lies around the ruck, etc.

I still believe he would be a very handy option off the bench for a 20 minute cameo against the likes of England/Wales.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't see Horwill as a off the bench cameo type player. Skelton fills that role, but Horwill is a starter or not at all in my humble opinion.

Reactions: gel

mouth guard

Bob McCowan (2)
When have we ever seen that at test level? He's had some reasonable impact off the bench and a couple of good games at 6 early in his test career (where I think he is better suited for test match rugby) but I don't think he's had a single really strong game starting at 8.

I don't think he's been one of the Rebels stronger forwards this year either. I reckon he'll miss out on the RWC squad unless there are injuries to some of his competitors.

G'day guys, been a following for a while and this comment has got me asking the question..
What I want to know is what's everyones obsession with Palu?
He barely makes gain line, drops in and out of games, his work rate is piss poor and he isn't a reliable lineout option.
Everyone loves to hate on Higgers for his seagull-ing but I believe he will add more balance to a back row of Pocock and Fardy. I think Higger's wide running would complement Pocock and Fardys tighter games.
Also, if Cheika decides to go with Skelton at lock and decides to play Palu in the same team we are going in with only 2 viable lineout options and at test level this is not okay.
Look at how the Crusaders and Allblacks play Kieran Read, he's out in wide channels running at backs, drawing defenders and offloading. Couldn't Higgers could play the same sort of role?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
G'day guys, been a following for a while and this comment has got me asking the question..
What I want to know is what's everyones obsession with Palu?
He barely makes gain line, drops in and out of games, his work rate is piss poor and he isn't a reliable lineout option.
Everyone loves to hate on Higgers for his seagull-ing but I believe he will add more balance to a back row of Pocock and Fardy. I think Higger's wide running would complement Pocock and Fardys tighter games.
Also, if Cheika decides to go with Skelton at lock and decides to play Palu in the same team we are going in with only 2 viable lineout options and at test level this is not okay.
Look at how the Crusaders and Allblacks play Kieran Read, he's out in wide channels running at backs, drawing defenders and offloading. Couldn't Higgers could play the same sort of role?

All the recent Wallaby coaches have picked him when fit. He always polls well amongst his teammates in players' player votes because they rate his workrate.

Your perception isn't uncommon but doesn't match with the perception of the coaches and players.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It doesn't match the stats either. Consistently leads in tackles made and runs, despite only playing 60-odd minutes each test.

He's got shortcomings, but work rate isn't one of them.

mouth guard

Bob McCowan (2)
All the recent Wallaby coaches have picked him when fit. He always polls well amongst his teammates in players' player votes because they rate his workrate.

Your perception isn't uncommon but doesn't match with the perception of the coaches and players.

Well if 'work rate' is hitting a ruck here or there or maybe the odd ineffective carry then Palu has the best work rate in Aus rugby... I want my number 8 to be a constant threat in attack and making big shifts in defence. Neither of which Palu does often enough to be the test 8 in my opinion.
Higgers, McCalman and Vaea offer so much more.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well if 'work rate' is hitting a ruck here or there or maybe the odd ineffective carry then Palu has the best work rate in Aus rugby. I want my number 8 to be a constant threat in attack and making big shifts in defence. Neither of which Palu does often enough to be the test 8 in my opinion.
Higgers, McCalman and Vaea offer so much more.

I think McCalman should be the starting number 8 and Palu will be in the squad. I think Higgers is on the cusp and Vaea won't make it.

I rate Vaea and like the way he plays but my take on this season is that his weakest games have come against the strongest opposition. I fail to see how that is a good audition to earn a spot in the test team.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cheika hasn't picked a squad before, he went with Link's squad. We know who he prefers in the 23/15 but some of the players on the EOYT he might not like.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think McCalman should be the starting number 8 and Palu will be in the squad. I think Higgers is on the cusp and Vaea won't make it.

I rate Vaea and like the way he plays but my take on this season is that his weakest games have come against the strongest opposition. I fail to see how that is a good audition to earn a spot in the test team.

He had great games against the Stormers, Lions, Highlanders.

His weakest games were both against the Tahs.

If there are injuries to McCalman, Higgers, Palu I'd be quietly hopeful Vaea could step up albeit probably a year too early.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Palu often gets a bad rap because fans expect him to bulldoze over the gain-line at test level against the likes of SA and NZ. In truth he's not physically dominant against the SANZAR heavy weights but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the side (as Braveheart points out).

Skelton plays the "Bulldozing giant" role much more effectively. He's very dominant in the contact. That probably makes Palu's size and ball running ability less important in the grand scheme of things. I think Skelton's inclusion opens the door for a more dynamic 8, if we want to go that way.

Personally I'd probably still choose a fully fit Palu over the others, at least for the England game. We need a big powerful pack and he foots the bill. There is definitely an argument for McCalman though, after last year's EOYT form. I'd maybe choose big dog against the Boks, etc.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He had great games against the Stormers, Lions, Highlanders.

His weakest games were both against the Tahs.

If there are injuries to McCalman, Higgers, Palu I'd be quietly hopeful Vaea could step up albeit probably a year too early.

I agree with BH on this one, he's not really relevant to this thread unless there are a few injuries, simply too many better options ahead of him.

He's definitely one for the future though, and by RWC2019 probably would have converted 10-15 kgs of blubber to muscle and be an absolute machine.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would also start Higgers at 8 and Pocock at 7.

This would give us top class targets in Simmons, Fardy and Higgers with Skelton as an option every now and then at the front.
Pocock could be at the back.
Jones and Hooper on the bench to cover the back 5.
This would be my exact pack as well. great balance but also the most aggressive side we offer. Depending on opposition you could have palu in place of Jones with the option of shifting fardy to the 2nd row.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Alright, everyone seems to be giving their 31 man squads a crack. so I might as well join the party. Here is my 31 man squad based on a combination of current Super XV form and what they have delivered in gold in the past.

*** The last outside back / utility back is proving to be quite problematic. Neither JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale are currently selling themselves with their Super XV form but are known match winners for the wallabies. Mitchell's form by all reports is quite strong - but he was in and out of favour with Cheika in 2013. Smokey's like Naiyaravoro, Harris, Cummins and Tomane can all bash down the door with a strong finish to Super XV.

Mitchell would have to be at the longest odds of those mentioned. He wasnt play well at all when he left (lost a couple of yards of pace). Put JOC (James O'Connor), beale or any of the smokeys mentioned on the end of that Toulon backline in france and you would be getting back great reports too!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just read somewhere that Alexander just signed a new 12 month deal with the ARU. That is surely a strong indication that he will be one of the Cheika's 5 props at the world cup. IF Cheika wasn't interested in him for the wallabies, he wouldn't get a top-up

Status
Not open for further replies.