• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks V Rebels @ Kings Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Moving on from last week, the Rebels now have a chance to notch their first win in SA against a very depleted Sharks outfit. I think this is the Rebels best chance to break the SA duck, provided we can get our heads right after the Stormers match.

Expect that Smith, Naivalu and Ellison will all be available. Would bring them all back into the starting side if possible.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
This is a must win game for the Rebels, a good season with a lot of milestones. But need to get this one out of the way to really be able to move forward next year.

South African teams really do seem to get the better of us, our record at home against them is even horrible.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Would be nice to win the last 3 in a row.

Would be 5 home wins, 4 away wins, more wins than losses, overseas wins in both South Africa and New Zealand along with a 63% win record against foreign opposition.

One week at a time though.

This week is the most important, as it would give us a 50/50 record with 2 home games to go, as well as a saffa win. With a near fully fit side against a battered and bruised shorks, this is our best best chance.

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
Rebs actually played really well last week, considering slippery conditions and the stormers simply pouncing on their scoring opportunities.

Should be a good hit out this week, hopefully with Smith back in front row to give the Sharks a good run scrum time

Rebs by 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
if he is only partially fit i would keep Ellison out, more likely to beat Bulls and Force at home and should try to preserve bodies. BUT i hope he is fully fit and right to go as he is definitely the most important cog in the defensive wheel.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PaarlBok wrote this in the RD forum but I have deleted the thread there:

Cripple fight this. Sharks by 50

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
PaarlBok wrote this in the RD forum but I have deleted the thread there:

Cripple fight this. Sharks by 50

No no, he can't take the underdog tag from us. WE are the tourishs yet to break our SA cherry. We've earned the right to be underdogs!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Rebels team vs. Sharks, King’s Park, Durban, 3:10am Saturday May 30th 2015 (AEST)
1. Toby Smith (Rebel #60, 25 Rebels Caps)
2. Pat Leafa (Rebel #57, 31 Rebels Caps)
3. Laurie Weeks (Rebel #19, 61 Rebels Caps)
4. Luke Jones (Rebel #32, 58 Rebels Caps)
5. Lopeti Timani (Rebel #69, 14 Rebels Caps)
6. Sean McMahon (Rebel #62, 25 Rebels Caps)
7. Colby Fainga’a (Rebel #65, 28 Rebels Caps)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Rebel #46, 42 Rebels Caps, Captain)
9. Luke Burgess (Rebel #56, 26 Rebels Caps)
10. Jack Debreczeni (Rebel #71, 17 Rebels Caps)
11. Tom English (Rebel #50, 38 Rebels Caps)
12. Mitch Inman (Rebel #35, 57 Rebels Caps)
13. Sefanaia Naivalu (Rebel #77, 12 Rebels Caps)
14. Dom Shipperley (Rebel #75, 10 Rebels Caps)
15. Mike Harris (Rebel #76, 12 Rebels Caps)
Reserves:
16. Tom Sexton (Rebel #81, 4 Rebels Caps)
17. Cruze Ah-Nau (Rebel #59, 24 Rebels Caps)
18. Paul Alo-Emile (Rebel #44, 48 Rebels Caps)
19. Cadeyrn Neville (Rebel #42, 48 Rebels Caps)
20. Scott Fuglistaller (Rebel #45, 43 Rebels Caps)
21. Nic Stirzaker (Rebel #38, 36 Rebels Caps)
22. Jordy Reid (Rebel #51, 20 Rebels Caps)
23. Bryce Hegarty (Rebel #54, 30 Rebels Caps)

Couple of interesting decisions. Toby and Sefa return, Inagaki and Crawford are omitted. Shipperly shifts to wing, with Sefa in the centers. Colby, Weeks and Burgo start for Fugs, Paulie and Nic, who are benched.

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
Interesting to see how Sefa goes in the centres. Great player, personally haven't seen much of his passing game but overall stoked to see him back!
Also, Burgo a capable starter for any super franchise imo, shows that Rebels are starting to build a bit of effective depth being able to have PAE come on for Weeks, Stirzy for Burgess, Fugs and Reid for any back 3, even Hegarty growing in confidence

Come on Rebs! I've got you by 10 this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Go Rebels. Problem area in my opinion is out wide. Just don't think either English or Shipperley have been contributing as they might this year. Naivalu in 13 is a risk, but hopefully it pays off. Maybe when Jordy comes on at wing later in the game, things might improve.;)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I think the selections are a good mix of rotation and tactics.

- Sad to see Tamati can't play, but I'm damm excited to see what Sefa can do closer to the ball. Great on attack, but will he be the marshalling force that Tamati is? Time will tell
- Weeks for PAE is most likely a rotation, but could be a precautionary injury cover. He went down for treatment in both the Reds and Stormers match and probabyl needs a breather. Regardless, don't think we lose anything with Lord Lorenzo
- Burgo for Strirz seems like rotation to me.
- Colby for Scott seems like rotation, but Colby has been demanding a starting berth for some time. He's been in great touch and showed it last weekend.
- Toby back in the starting side, no brainier. Cruz did well last weekend, but Toby is Toby. Will be up for it against the Springbok THP.

6/2 bench again, could prove useful deep in the match against a decent Shorks backrow. Only time will tell.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rebels by 10 in this one. No Coetzee so Sharks have one player left that is decent - Bismarck.

Status
Not open for further replies.