• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Today is May 27. On May 27, 2014 on the 2014 version of this thread, there had been 293 posts across 18 pages and dialogue had been a little heated at times.

In 2015 the silence is almost eerie.

Have people forgotten how to rort the system, or have the Championships and rep teams lost their standing to such an extent that no one feels that they need to try and "favourably" interpret Competition and Championship eligibility criteria?

Is no one keeping an eagle eye on what the "competition" is doing?

Is everybody happy or does no one care anymore?

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
I think the main problem is no one is playing in the older age groups. Look at the 15s. No ACT ,Illawarra next to nothing Norths lucky to get a side together. Gordon really the only half decent side going in with not much competition. Club land really struggling. Hunters hill down to 9 players. How do they pick a creditable NSW side??

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
In honest, I suspect JGC is taking away some of the emphasis on this competition. That said, I wasn't involved in last year's thread, so I'm not sure of what was said on it.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think the main problem is no one is playing in the older age groups. Look at the 15s. No ACT ,Illawarra next to nothing Norths lucky to get a side together. Gordon really the only half decent side going in with not much competition. Club land really struggling. Hunters hill down to 9 players. How do they pick a creditable NSW side??

I am not so sure about that being too much different to the last couple of years.

There are 16 teams nominated for the 15 State Championships this year which is in line with previous years. ACT did not attend last year either in the U15's. And I take your point about some of the playing talent not returning - but this is hardly a new phenomenon. Country players moving to City schools (other thread topic), players being selected in schools 1st and 2nd XV's and rugby league (Harold Matts etc) have always drained the talent at the higher age groups.

So whilst JGC might have some effect, i don't think it is the only factor. In fact, many of the kids playing Reps now did not do JGC at all as they play cricket, basketball, rowing etc over Summer. Thus why i think both programs need to find a way to co-exist lest we never see some of the top talent play Reps if JGC was only pathway.

In fact the irony being that in the other JGC age group (U17's) the State Championships have 11 teams entered this year compared to 7 last year. I am not going to claim this as growth - just an observation.

I am sure the NSW U15's side selected will be more than credible - there is still plenty of talent that will be on show and a big opportunity to play the 16's sides from Sydney, Country and Schools at the NSW Invitational. Last years NSW U15's didn't such opportunities.

rugby hunter

Stan Wickham (3)
The state cup and country championships have merged to get numbers involved in the 17s with some area's combining to get enough for a team. If they went it alone the numbers would have been down. There is to much rugby being offered to the rep level players, club, rep, JGC, school, school rep, and opportunities to play grade. Some boys are playing 4 games a week, for 6 weeks at this time of the year. They will not perform at their best and many will burn out.

scrum-doctor

Stan Wickham (3)
I believe this is a vital pathway for all players. It is the first and important step for players to understand what rep footy is about and the step up needed.

Unfortunately the coaching doesn't assist with this often.

Do we know the representative coaching structures for the teams this year? (Sydney, zones, nsw & Baa Baa's)

I hear Guy Millar who is a new Western Force player from eastwood 1st grade is assistant coach of Sydney 16's.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I think this might underestimate Parra if they get a reasonable no of last years premiership winning u14s Blacktown side. And Hunters down to 9? Certainly wasn't the case a few weeks ago but they could have been hit with significant injury toll.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This list of rep team management fell off the back of a truck from a usually reliable truck driver.

Northern U15's
Coach: Michael Taylor
Asst Coach: James Blanch
Manager: TBA

Western U15's
Coach: TBA
Asst Coach: TBA
S&C Coach: TBA

Southern U15's
Coach: Mark Bernays
Asst Coach: Ross Bernays & John Hillery
Manager: Andrew Mrackovic

Barbarians U15's
Coach: Gary Tunks
Asst Coach: Kristian Berghofer & Tangi Mafi
Manager: Peter Holt

Northern U16's
Coach: Stuart Nolan
Asst Coach: Bernie Rorke

Western U16's
Coach: Kevin Harkin
Asst Coach: Wayne Africa
Manager: Andrew Knevitt

Southern U16's
Coach: Connell Byrne
Asst Coach: Tony Buchanon & Allan Conan
Manager: Craig Townsend

Barbarians U16's
Coach: Campbell Aitkin
Asst Coach: Mike Cross
Manager: Luke Ferris

Sydney JRU U14's
Coach: Andy Connors
Asst Coach: Will Eggleston

Sydney JRU U15's
Co-Coach: Bill Bell
Asst Coach: Ian Westwood & Derwent De-Roos
S&C Coach: John Villiami
Manager: Laurie McMartin

Sydney JRU U16's
Coach: Luke Ferris
Asst Coach: Guy Millar
S&C Coach: TBA
Manager: Geoff Ferris
Physio: TBA

Sydney JRU U17's
Coach: Doug Ryan
Asst Coach: Jack Lloyd

Sydney U18's
Coach: Robbie Barnard
Asst Coach: Sam Phipps
S&C Coach: Tim Dalecki

Thomo77

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think this might underestimate Parra if they get a reasonable no of last years premiership winning u14s Blacktown side. And Hunters down to 9? Certainly wasn't the case a few weeks ago but they could have been hit with significant injury toll.
Parra has retained all of last year's lads, bar the fly half, and has a number of newbies that have come across from league or elsewhere. Considering at a club level, they've lost one game in almost 2 years, it will be interesting to see how they go. There's plenty of talent in the side. Will really depend on how they play. At last count there were 6 lads that either played for NSW JGC, or have been picked in squads for either CHS, CCC or other schools U16 state sides for this year.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Parra has retained all of last year's lads, bar the fly half, and has a number of newbies that have come across from league or elsewhere. Considering at a club level, they've lost one game in almost 2 years, it will be interesting to see how they go. There's plenty of talent in the side. Will really depend on how they play. At last count there were 6 lads that either played for NSW JGC, or have been picked in squads for either CHS, CCC or other schools U16 state sides for this year.

I don't think there's any sceptics amongst the opposition Thomo. From the far side at best they might be hoping that the pool of death (B) takes a toll on all who participate and leaves a wobbly team standing at semi final time. Otherwise Musika and the lads might have a field day!

RedBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
Parramatta U15's
  1. Netane Talanoa Blacktown NSW JGC, NSW CHS
  2. Vaotangi Mafi Blacktown Western Sydney JGC
  3. Liam Heka Blacktown
  4. Johnneric Afele Blacktown Western Sydney JGC
  5. Thomas Latu Blacktown
  6. Tiakiwai Rangi Blacktown Sydney 2014
  7. Spencer Leniu Blacktown Sydney 2014, NSW CCC, Penrith Panthers 14's
  8. Musika Loto'aniu Blacktown Sydney 2014, NSWJGC, NSW CCC
  9. Aaron Cairns Blacktown Western Sydney JGC
  10. Tyreese Figota Blacktown
  11. Henry Tuli-Togise Blacktown Penrith Panthers 14's
  12. Ethan Mokoia Blacktown Sydney 2014, West Tigers Harold Matts
  13. Dylan Glassie Blacktown Ex-Eastwood
  14. Luke McDonald Blacktown
  15. Connor Thomson Blacktown NSW JGC
  16. Connor Tunks Blacktown
  17. Fononga Naati Blacktown Western Sydney JGC
  18. William Kim Norwest
  19. Jack Dolan Blacktown - Western Sydney JGC
  20. Daniel Tuipulotu Blacktown
  21. Pat Reynolds Blacktown
  22. Xavier Letufuga Blacktown
  23. Joshua Lambert Lane Cove, North West Sydney JGC, Ex-Eastwood
  24. Matthew Wilson Hawkesbury (Shadow player)
  25. Inoke Takiveikata Hawkesbury (shadow player)
In my opinion this parra are the team to beat. Serious talent, size, skill and experience.

RedBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
Illawarra 15's

1.Terrence Toomata (Campbelltown) NSW Country 2014
2. Joseph Dickson (Shamrocks) Illawarra Steelers Harold Matts
3. Opeti Taufahema (University) Illawarra JGC?
4. Sesi Lufe (Kiama) Illawarra JGC
5. Cian Duffy (Shamrocks)
6. Bailey Antrobus (Shamrocks) NSW JGC, NSW Country
7. Jacob Wright (Campbelltown)
8. Thomas Robinson (Shamrocks) NSW JGC
9. Liam Macpherson (Shamrocks)
10. Kade Warrington (University)
11. Joshua Fullerton Harvey (University)
12. Rua Nugati (Campbelltown) Western Suburbs Harold Matts
13. William Valevatu (Campbelltown) NSW Country 2014
14. Jack McConnell (Shamrocks)
15. Byron Hollingworth Dessent (Shamrocks) ACT Brumbies 2014, North Harbour CAS 16's
16. Oscar Moran (Bowral)
17. Brett Wellington (Shoalhaven) NSW Country 2014
18. Valere Moise (University)
19. Hugh McRae (Bowral)
20. Harry Baillieau (Bowral)
21. Jack Rochaix (Campbelltown).

Another strong side, could push for the win.

Thomo77

Frank Nicholson (4)
Definitely wouldn't be underestimating Gordon, Norths or Eastwood. Typically well prepared. Gordon certainly look to have been blessed with the draw. Definitely looking forward to seeing all the boys in action next week

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I think CNorth's concerns will prove unfounded - its not hard to see a very strong NSW team being selected from the talent that will be on display at Mudgee next weekend. ACT were never part of the NSW selection cohort and key talent from Illawarra is still there or playing with Blacktown / Parra so still participating at JSCs. Look out QLD!

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
IMHO I think that Gordon can match any side at State Champs, my prediction for their side is

1. Julian Heaven North Harbour JGC
2. Will Bremner Sydney Squad 2014
3. James Frear North Harbour JGC, Sydney 2014
4. Nathaniel Pannozo North Harbour JGC, Sydney 2014
5. Saxon Gilles Sydney Squad 2014
6. Luke Reimer NSW JGC, Sydney 2014
7. Joshua Gunstone North West JGC, Sydney Squad 2014
8. Alex Trobec Knox 16 a's ?
9. David Tejek Think has played Barker 1st XV, Sydney 2014

10. Joshua McInerney Sydney Squad 2014
11. Ben Shariat Sydney 2014
12. Dominic Easy Think has played Pius 1st XV, NSW JGC, Sydney 2014

13. Jaques O'Hearn Sydney Squad 2014
14. Tom Cameron Sydney 2014
15. Tom Glasscot Sydney 2014
16. Bill Biviano
17. Jordan Hancock
18. Jordan Brown North West JGC
19. Samuel Johnston North Harbour JGC
20. Cameron Fish North Harbour JGC
21. Alex Di Sano or James Westbury North West JGC
22. JamieBasheer Sydney Squad 2014

23. Aiden Paterson
24. William Onslow
25. One of the #21's not sure if they need another 9 or 10 because both players seem to have people who can slot in. Although most likely will keep the reserve 9.

I think that this team can win the State Championship because of the pure toughness and mobility and skill. Skilled, tough and fit tight five. With flankers in Reimer and Gunstone probably the two hardest boys in the comp I think having a tidy game will be hard for opponents. Trobec should be fast around the park and work well with the loosies. 9/10 combo looks promising with experience together. Tejek is extremely fast around the park which gets fast ball to the pack and the backs keeping the defense on going backward. Middle 3 will be lethal in attack and defense. McInerney is a very good defender and yet again has experience with the 9 which should mean attack is good as well. Dominic Easy outside him is a player to watch. Lethal when given space because of size and speed. Will definitely be a key to Gordon's success. O'Hearn runs good lines and can set up the back three well. Plenty of gas out there with an all sydney back 3.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sydney U18's Team named today.

1 Parramatta - Malama Meleisea
2 Gordon - James Kwok
3 Gordon - Kristian Souvaliotis
4 Dural - Kyle Cotton
5 Manly - Van Stewart
6 West Harbour - Wesley FAUPULA
7 Beecroft - Cameron Goodacre
8 West Harbour - Pilimi FELILA
9 Randwick - Hayden Lloyd
10 Gordon - Josh Thorndyke
11 Southern Districts - Brodie Ford
12 Parramatta Frank Tanginoa
13 West Harbour - Izaha Te Amo
14 Dural - Zackary Fisher
15 Sydney Uni - Rhys Wheneroa
16 Manly - Cyprus Tutnoa
17 West Harbour - Tepuna TAMARUA
18 Oatley - Keitel Bramston
19 Oatley - Alturo Faamausili
20 Dural - Joel Edwards
21 Randwick - Frank Tuhetoka
22 Gordon - Tom Skelly
23 Beecroft - Tom Nicita
24 West Harbour - Luke Collins
25 Gordon - Brandon Marsh

Team will play following fixtures
  • GPS (Blue or White) Thursday 18th June- 5.00pm at Boronia Park, Hunters Hill.
  • NSW Country U18’s on the Sunday 12th July at Boronia Park, Hunters Hill.
  • Bishop Stortford High School 1st XV (UK) on Sunday 19th July at Rawson Oval, Mosman.
  • Leeds Grammar 1st XV (UK) & NSW Country U18’s onSunday Aug 2nd at TG Milner, Eastwood.

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
For the fellow ink-slingers interested in Junior Club Rugby,
does anyone have an idea or a guess on who will make up the Sydney Representative teams for U15's, U16's and U17's

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Always hard to predict as boys can change so much physically and mentally between 14-17, and many in older years will be more focused on playing for school 16As/1st XV. Hopefully selections will be entirely based on form at the SJCs and for the zone teams.

For what its worth, here are last year's u14 and u15 Sydney teams. For u14s I've struck out those who are not participating in 2015 SJCs as far as I'm aware (only 4). Not sure re last year's u15s, but a few at least are playing 1st XV so may not be backing up at SJCs. Haven't included last year's u16s as there would be a huge number not returning this year.

2014 Sydney U14s
1 Angus Bell Norths
2 Tom Cameron Gordon
3 Kyle Devine Southern Districts
4 Charlie Davis Southern Districts
5 Max Douglas Manly
6 Dominic Easy Gordon
7 Nathaniel Endemann Norths
8 James Frear Gordon
9 Tom Glascott Gordon
10 Max Lehman Norths
11 Spencer Leniu Parramatta