• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
spoke to a bloke who knows a bloke.....

Round 1 tips

Kings 38 - Shore 5
Joeys 35 - View 12
New 12 - Scots 17

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Trying to format a tipping table to post on this site. Struggling, anyone know if it is possible??

Dunno, I have never tried it.

I would try doing your table on a spreadsheet and tarting it up with borders and colours, then using the Windows snipping tool - or Screenshot (free programme) - to cover just that area of the screen that you want to extract and post.

Then you will see an image of the pertinent area your spreadsheet wherever you download stuff to, and you would put that image in your post using "Upload a file".

It may sound difficult but if a dinosaur like me can do it, it ain't that hard.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
disagree with Scots having any favoritism

given they have lost their coach, and the star players in Crichton, Porter, et al

I think Scots will be part of any interesting year ... I see Newington as having a fair team, Riverview (with McGregor) would be up there 2, and sounds like Kings are the surprise packet

however to me Joeys have to be firm favorites ... if they can't win this year, with some excellent backs, solid forwards, good depth, X-factor, blah blah

either way can anyone advise if View will be with or without McGregor ... as that to me will decide if Round 1 Joeys is worth watching?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^Traditional 3pm kick off for the Jesuits vs the Marist Brothers at Hunters Hill?

IIRC, the shenanigans involving Old Boys getting tired and emotional has been resolved haven't they, so early kick off times for the 1s have been consigned to history.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^It was only at Riverview though wasn't it where the early starts were necessary to control certain Young old boys?

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
^^^It was only at Riverview though wasn't it where the early starts were necessary to control certain Young old boys?

IIRC a decision was made for one year only by the View powers that be to start the 1s early at View due to the shenanigans (a charitable description, I witnessed the unseemly incidents) that had occurred at HH the previous year. Joeys never followed suit. It's a traditional kick off time this week.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Great to feel the energy of this thread really coming to the fore with the imminent start to the season.

Congratulations to George Grant for his very well penned preview, the current lead story on the homepage. View supporters are in for a great ride if GG's prediction as to their lofty finish comes to fruition. IMO View might be taking on the season heavyweights as early as this week and the task is not beyond them if they have sufficient belief.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Vis-a-vis Riverview Joeys I predict a Joeys win. In general the intensity/hype surrounding most Riverview-Joeys games create a scenario whereby the underdog outperforms expectations. There are very rarely score blow outs (there are obviously exceptions) despite the fact that they are predicted fairly frequently. Consequently, I think the majority of the game will be quite close but Joeys could end up winning by a respectable margin as a result of points accumulated towards the end of the game.

I am going to go out on a limb here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the game followed these lines (I could be completely wrong):

A. Joeys score consecutively (probably a penalty goal then a try, or some sort of combination like that) somewhat early on. The crowd starts to expect View to capitulate as per predictions.
B. View score of a semi-fortuitous break (i.e. get some space, soft try out wide, or something like that). In general Joeys have most of the momentum.
C. Joeys score again consecutively to further widen the gap.
D. For the rest of the game its an arm wrestle with Riverview playing catch up.
E. Towards the back end of the game it's close enough that Riverview supporters are starting to think 'maybe', until Joeys score to put the result beyond reach.
F. Joeys might score again late in the game so the scoreline ends up being a bit larger than it otherwise would have been (maybe 12 - 15 points).

Just have too much in the forwards for Riverview I suspect. Riverview's set piece has looked good in the trials, but their work at the breakdown was a little off at times, and I think the large/well-drilled Joeys pack will edge them out in the physical, and perhaps technical, areas.

Riverview have good backs, as everyone knows, but they do have vulnerabilities. With McGregor pulling the strings they'll have a bit more direction, and perhaps be able to create/relieve pressure to a greater extent than in the trials, but in both games I saw backline organisation, kicking (and whatever else a fly-half does) was not an issue, and certainly not a factor in the Riverview team losing.

Wright will be very difficult to stop, I'm expecting a big one from him.

Whatever the case, I'm certain it'll be an enthralling contest. Having lost to Riverview's Senior A debating team in the ISDA Octos I'm certain Joeys will have a bone to pick (as they always do). An interesting contest-within-a-contest will be the tussle between the supporters. Will Riverview's crowd be able to rise to the high standards of pageantry, spirit and vocal intensity they achieved at the GPS aths? Or will the ban on the drum - as well as the advantage the grandstand gives the HH boys - provide Joeys with the opportunity they need to reign in the Blue and White?

Can't wait.

P.S. George Grant's optimism about Riverview gives his allegiances away. I expected more objective reporting Lee! To be fair last year's speculator predicted Riverview too - I don't doubt he has Blue and White affiliations.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting.. We will see however. Just my opinion.

Riverview and Joeys to be a dog fight. Brilliant battle as always but View to come out victors in a thriller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Any thoughts on view winger mete? Any good?

Body builder like type build with plenty of speed, played last 2 trials after return from athletics. 1 try vs augustines, 3 tries in the first half vs newington which included 2 very good impressive tries. Good X factor on the wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
disagree with Scots having any favoritism

given they have lost their coach, and the star players in Crichton, Porter, et al
As I understand it, last year's premiership winning coach Blackburn continues at Scots until the end of this school term. The new coach Smith works with him and then takes over in his own right next term, with Kelly on board all season.
Looks like a sensible succession plan that should bring stability of strategies and selections. Any favouritism will be down to the players' abilities and George Grant's analysis highlights the strong chance Scots has this season. Whilst they don't have a standout player like Crichton or Kellaway from 2013, Scots does have a lot of depth across the paddock.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
As I understand it, last year's premiership winning coach Blackburn continues at Scots until the end of this school term. The new coach Smith works with him and then takes over in his own right next term, with Kelly on board all season.
Looks like a sensible succession plan that should bring stability of strategies and selections. Any favouritism will be down to the players' abilities and George Grant's analysis highlights the strong chance Scots has this season. Whilst they don't have a standout player like Crichton or Kellaway from 2013, Scots does have a lot of depth across the paddock.

Watch Angus's replacement on Saturday he was very impressive last weekend.

Scots should field an acceptable team this weekend for all the armchair critics. Should be an enjoyable season for all this year. Always interesting to see the lads push their own teams strengths and then try and play the they're all cheats game once again.... Seems the old fellas are back with some sense in the last couple of pages and nice report from Mr Grant. Scots will have a slightly more familiar look this weekend but obviously still a bit raw this early in the season. Should be a good game v New with similar numbers of players back from last year. Scots very mobile again and the backline will be experienced and has 1 or too surprise packages who will be talked about throughout the season.New have a couple of game breakers in the backline and should be pressuring up front but I think Scots will settle in early at home and as long as they secure some set piece ball will go ok. Front row needs to lift from last week. Joeys to me seem to be a threat but might be basing my assessment too much on the halves..same as View, both 10s are game breakers support staff will determine game. I think guessing a table now after trials results is always fun ...you guys should do something similar during AFL nab cup season....the data used would be comparible :)

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Sorry a bit off topic, but does anyone know when GPS trials will be commencing?

They don't trial for GPS opens teams. The GPS teams are selected after the second round, that night in fact. There are GPS selectors doing the rounds looking at at least one trial and then 2 GPS games for all the teams.

Hello

Stan Wickham (3)
Between you me and a lamp post I've seen the selectors the last 2 weeks busily ticking the boxes for the GPS squads.

I guess if you are not already in the 1st xv now, then better luck next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.