• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Royals 50 - Uni Norths 0

Easts REALLY struggling through all grades - what is the answer? Should someone like Goulburn maybe join the comp?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Royals 50 - Uni Norths 0

Easts REALLY struggling through all grades - what is the answer? Should someone like Goulburn maybe join the comp?

Don't think there is a simple answer. With their junior development efforts leaving them with no sides over under 12's and without the ability to attract colts players from a dwindling pool of talent in some of the major schools they are in serious trouble. I think the new levies have had a negative effect on social players and almost every club has had trouble at times this season to field teams in 4 grades.

I believe the ACTRU should adopt a similar cap system on colts players as the NSWRU. This could mean we don't see lower grade sides at clubs like Tuggies who conceivably could be an Easts Colts side.

With junior rugby numbers falling by alarming numbers the writing may be on the wall unless we act now. Without junior development and recruitment the pool of players moving to seniors is falling every season.

Personally I don't see Goulburn as a viable option, but you know what they say about desperate times.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't think there is a simple answer. With their junior development efforts leaving them with no sides over under 12's and without the ability to attract colts players from a dwindling pool of talent in some of the major schools they are in serious trouble. I think the new levies have had a negative effect on social players and almost every club has had trouble at times this season to field teams in 4 grades.

I believe the ACTRU should adopt a similar cap system on colts players as the NSWRU. This could mean we don't see lower grade sides at clubs like Tuggies who conceivably could be an Easts Colts side.

With junior rugby numbers falling by alarming numbers the writing may be on the wall unless we act now. Without junior development and recruitment the pool of players moving to seniors is falling every season.

Personally I don't see Goulburn as a viable option, but you know what they say about desperate times.

Yea...I just don't see how, where they are going to get players and be able to improve...they didn't score ONE point yesterday in 3 grades -

1st - 68-0
2nd - 69-0
3rds - 76-0

No Colts, no 4's....they have not been able to name a 3rd's all season and didn't even name a hooker in 2nd's yesterday...

Vikings played poorly yesterday in 1's - could of been easily 100+ to zero - everytime Easts got the ball they kicked it....

Scary times ahead for Easts....

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yea.I just don't see how, where they are going to get players and be able to improve.they didn't score ONE point yesterday in 3 grades -

1st - 68-0
2nd - 69-0
3rds - 76-0

No Colts, no 4's..they have not been able to name a 3rd's all season and didn't even name a hooker in 2nd's yesterday.

Vikings played poorly yesterday in 1's - could of been easily 100+ to zero - everytime Easts got the ball they kicked it..

Scary times ahead for Easts..

Were you at the game no8? How did Tuggeranong look, any other observations you could share? Any standouts from Easts?

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Does ACTRU have a points system like in Sydney? Where there is a cap per team, and points are allotted to each player based on their Junior club (less points), or rep status (max points), years with club (reduced with loyalty). Aim to keep your own juniors and keep same people in the club. In such a system i'd say Vikings would struggle to stay under the cap, like Syd Uni does!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Were you at the game no8? How did Tuggeranong look, any other observations you could share? Any standouts from Easts?

Yea mate - Vikings looked good for the 1st 15 min and then in parts but the game was messy due to Easts (no disrespect) - Niumata and Rakic were prob the Vikings best - unfortunately no standouts for Easts - they kicked the ball away every time the got it and by the end of the game their winger was playing no.8 - pretty underwhelming game to be honest - will be back watching qbn next week.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is anybody aware if anyone in command at the ARU or ACTRU share the concerns of some of those on this forum regarding the ailing state of rugby in the ACT? Senior clubs seriously floundering, junior numbers and standards in decline and the Brumbies seemingly not really interested at all in the local product, ACT rugby needs an intervention. At this rate rugby in Canberra will be beyond redemption and at serious risk of been drowned out by rival codes. Serious decline in participation numbers at the so called rugby nurseries like Marist should be sounding a loud clear warning that needs to be listened too and addressed. Very worrying times for ACT rugby.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Is anybody aware if anyone in command at the ARU or ACTRU share the concerns of some of those on this forum regarding the ailing state of rugby in the ACT? Senior clubs seriously floundering, junior numbers and standards in decline and the Brumbies seemingly not really interested at all in the local product, ACT rugby needs an intervention. At this rate rugby in Canberra will be beyond redemption and at serious risk of been drowned out by rival codes. Serious decline in participation numbers at the so called rugby nurseries like Marist should be sounding a loud clear warning that needs to be listened too and addressed. Very worrying times for ACT rugby.

Brumbies employ a development coordinator, and a number of development officers (correct me if I'm wrong). There are definitely arguments to be made that more resourcing is required, but I'd say the first step would be assessing the quality of the work that is already being done...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Brumbies employ a development coordinator, and a number of development officers (correct me if I'm wrong). There are definitely arguments to be made that more resourcing is required, but I'd say the first step would be assessing the quality of the work that is already being done.
As an ex Development Officer for the Brumbies located in regional NSW, there is only so much that the development team and community rugby arm of the Brumbies can do.

How is the state of play at East's (a club I played for in 2002) a Brumbies issue? What should a DO do about getting players from Eddies and Marist to play for East's?

It's not the DO's role to get kids to play for a club, that's the club's role.

The issues that have been brought forward here are universal and I don't believe that they are any different in league or AFL.

Clubs go through peaks and troughs, Tuggies are loaded, East's can't run a chook raffle and the other clubs sit somewhere in between.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
As an ex Development Officer for the Brumbies located in regional NSW, there is only so much that the development team and community rugby arm of the Brumbies can do.

How is the state of play at East's (a club I played for in 2002) a Brumbies issue? What should a DO do about getting players from Eddies and Marist to play for East's?

It's not the DO's role to get kids to play for a club, that's the club's role.

The issues that have been brought forward here are universal and I don't believe that they are any different in league or AFL.

Clubs go through peaks and troughs, Tuggies are loaded, East's can't run a chook raffle and the other clubs sit somewhere in between.

sorry, to clarify, I was referring to the DO's roles in driving junior participation. recruitment is a clubs responsibility.

Brumbies could potentially look at the situation at the moment where their development guys are also heavily invested in coaching of junior gold squads etc. Both sides (coaching and development) suffer if the role becomes too conflicted. Is finding and keeping quality people also potentially an issue?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
sorry, to clarify, I was referring to the DO's roles in driving junior participation. recruitment is a clubs responsibility.

Brumbies could potentially look at the situation at the moment where their development guys are also heavily invested in coaching of junior gold squads etc. Both sides (coaching and development) suffer if the role becomes too conflicted. Is finding and keeping quality people also potentially an issue?
I agree. I haven't been directly involved in the development space for a while now but, like all things rugby at the moment, there isn't much money coming down from the top to allocate to community rugby.

The issue with the junior gold programs etc that I see is that it's a double edged sword for the development staff. There will be some clubs that want them involved and some that won't. There will be some clubs that want them to focus on the participation side and some that will want them to focus on specific skill development.

It's a catch 22 and they'll never keep everyone happy!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Today's scores:
Wests 27 def Royals 20
Vikings 35 def Uni-Norths 12
Queanbeyan 31 def Gungahlin 14

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No real surprises over the weekend.

This weekend will prob see the game upto now of the season - Queanbeyan V's Viking at Queanbeyan!

mouth guard

Bob McCowan (2)
Geez a full-time gig, that rugby club must have some bloody money lying around. I think young Chris Hickey used to have that gig before moving on to the Woods and Tahs?

I was speaking to one of my Tuggies mates and rumour has it that World Cup winning coach Graham Henry was applying for the gig? Can anyone confirm or deny?

OldHeadSnakeyHeher

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was speaking to one of my Tuggies mates and rumour has it that World Cup winning coach Graham Henry was applying for the gig? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Think your sources are having you on there MG. I have heard whispers though from reliable sources that Jake White has been sought out, and that the playing group of Mowen, White and Mogg etc will follow him to the Valley if he takes it up. Personally, I think this will be bad for the comp.

mouth guard

Bob McCowan (2)
Think your sources are having you on there MG. I have heard whispers though from reliable sources that Jake White has been sought out, and that the playing group of Mowen, White and Mogg etc will follow him to the Valley if he takes it up. Personally, I think this will be bad for the comp.

Hopefully White brings Nic White with him too. Tuggeranong are in need of a good half back after Mokotupu retired!

Status
Not open for further replies.