• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Honestly I think we should cease RWC discussion and focus on the team for the first Test vs SA on July 18.

A lot of the discussions and questions over players will be answered during the TRC.

The Super Rugby final is July 4th which is 2 weeks before the first match so a slight possibility Cheika may give a rest to those who find themselves in the final.

If Cheika is looking at Giteau & Mitchell for the RWC this is surely their first test to see if they're still up for it. Also this would be the time to test a Hooper/Pocock combo.

This would be my preliminary 23 for the match at Suncorp. I've specifically gone with two opensides because last time we played the Boks at Suncorp they killed us at the breakdown with their pilfering - let's take it to them there and what better time to experiment if it'll work or not. The Saffer team is closer to Wales/Eng than NZ. Holmes gets the start ahead of Kepu to see if he's up to Test standard and Kepu will need to managed this year + Suncorp factor.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Skelton
6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. Higginbotham
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Mitchell
15. Folau

16. Polota-Nau
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Coleman
20. Fardy
21. Palu
22. Giteau
23. Cooper
I agree that Cheika will try out the hooper/pocock combo in this game. It's the ideal game for it and if it doesn't work we will know not to do it again.

Someone start the thread..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe, but I would have thought if we were worried about the Boks dominating us at the breakdown than Pocok & Fardy would be the more logical back row.

Also, if we are going to play Pocock & Hooper then I am not sure if Higgers is the right number 8. He does help at line out, but Hooper & Higgers are both best used running wider. Not sure there is room for two wide runners in the team. Maybe McCalman instead. Not as strong, but still serviceable in the line out and can do more of the grunt work.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
For a guy who has hardly put a foot wrong in over 100 test matches geez AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is still massively underrated. Outside of Folau he should be first picked in the backline

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Time catches up with everyone. Two years ago, that was correct. Now our first choice centres, if fit, are To'omua & Kuridrani. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) may well be one of our starting wingers, and I would assume the first picked 13 if Kuridrani is out, but I don't think he is an automatic pick anymore.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Exceedingly worried about James Slipper's workload this year as well as Kepu. Wallabies hammered these poor bastards last year and I would imagine the same will happen again this year. Holmes may be able to give Keps a spell but Slipper seems miles ahead on the LH side with a long season in Gold ahead. They're not machines and should be given a chance for a break - particularly Slips after the season he's having with the Reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Exceedingly worried about James Slipper's workload this year as well as Kepu. Wallabies hammered these poor bastards last year and I would imagine the same will happen again this year. Holmes may be able to give Keps a spell but Slipper seems miles ahead on the LH side with a long season in Gold ahead. They're not machines and should be given a chance for a break - particularly Slips after the season he's having with the Reds.

Slipper needs to be managed for sure, he seems to go off injured every week.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Time catches up with everyone. Two years ago, that was correct. Now our first choice centres, if fit, are To'omua & Kuridrani. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) may well be one of our starting wingers, and I would assume the first picked 13 if Kuridrani is out, but I don't think he is an automatic pick anymore.

But happy to pick a 31 year old Mitchell post a few career ending injuries, no super or test form for a few years ahead of him?

Tell me how AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) form has slumped in the last two years also

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
But happy to pick a 31 year old Mitchell post a few career ending injuries, no super or test form for a few years ahead of him?

Tell me how AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) form has slumped in the last two years also

Don't think you can call them career ending if his still playing...

Would say kuridrani has just excelled and become better rather than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) becoming worse

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Your comment was that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be the second picked back. Two years ago he was our clear first choice 13. Now he is not - you can't realistically argue that he will get picked ahead of a fit Kuridrani.

So he is competing for a wing spot. He has been injured for a good portion of the year, and doesn't play wing on a week to week basis. He may well be a shoe in for one wing in Cheika's mind, but I would argue that, as a minimum Speight & Horne will be considered as well.

So, therefore, I think your post that he is 'the second back picked' is incorrect.
For the record I did not advocate Mitchell in front of him as I haven't seen enough of him playing - but IF Mitchell is back to pre injury form than I think he would be a walk up starter.

And I don't think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as good as he was two years ago. That doesn't mean he isn't still test quality, or that he won't be on the wing for every test we play this year.

T

Train Without a Station

Well he was actually terrible in Auckland. In fact 2015 wasn't his greatest test season ever.

But also, Kuridrani is a better 13, and now he has to fight for a position with wingers. Most of them are quicker than him, an important consideration on the wing.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So if Taqele plays for Fiji, that makes them a tougher opponent. Nadolo and Taqele together, it's difficult for any defense. 250 kg of power, something never seen in rugby.

I remember the couple of Saders centres in 2011, SBW and Robbie Fruean but each weighing 110 kg, 220 kg in total, here we speak of more than 30 kg between Taqele and Nadolo. :eek:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...gainst-wallabies/story-e6frf4pu-1227373468922

"Naiyaravoro has been linked to both Australia and Scotland, but he has given assurances to Fiji that he will be available to them, which means he could be lining up directly against NSW teammates and coach Michael Cheika when the Wallabies play their first World Cup match against the Flying Fijians.

Naiyaravoro showed yet again his damaging abilities last weekend by crossing for two tries against the Crusaders, which now makes him second-equal top tryscorer in Super Rugby alongside Waisake Naholo and one behind TJ Perenara.

His rival last weekend, Nemani Nadolo, is one of Fiji’s spearheads for the World Cup campaign, and had chats with Naiyaravoro prior to the match.

By playing for a Pacific Island team, Naiyaravoro’s deal with Glasgow becomes easier because he can be capped as a second-tier international, which falls under a lesser category in European clubs’ recruitment policy than those who have represented Australia, New Zealand and South Africa."

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Your comment was that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be the second picked back. Two years ago he was our clear first choice 13. Now he is not - you can't realistically argue that he will get picked ahead of a fit Kuridrani.

So he is competing for a wing spot. He has been injured for a good portion of the year, and doesn't play wing on a week to week basis. He may well be a shoe in for one wing in Cheika's mind, but I would argue that, as a minimum Speight & Horne will be considered as well.

So, therefore, I think your post that he is 'the second back picked' is incorrect.
For the record I did not advocate Mitchell in front of him as I haven't seen enough of him playing - but IF Mitchell is back to pre injury form than I think he would be a walk up starter.

And I don't think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as good as he was two years ago. That doesn't mean he isn't still test quality, or that he won't be on the wing for every test we play this year.
Yeah sorry original post was that I was suprised that a veteran of over 100 tests who I believe has been the most consitent performer fails to make the match day 23 on most of this thread in expense for players like Mitchell, speight etc.

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah sorry original post was that I was suprised that a veteran of over 100 tests who I believe has been the most consitent performer fails to make the match day 23 on most of this thread in expense for players like Mitchell, speight etc.

Still backing a losing argument PK if you think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should be picked at winger in front of Henry Speight. Same situation exists there as at 13 where both Kuridrani and Speight have overtaken him in those spots. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be competing with Rob Horne for the other wing spot atm, and I would have Horne in front there also.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be unlucky to miss out. But I don't see it as a surprise that Kuridrani is preferred at 13 and Speight at winger. Plus Horne's form is getting too good to ignore, same with Mitchell.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree re Horne. He looks to be at the peak of his powers atm. His defence is outstanding; he makes dominant tackles which really make life tough for the opposition. His speed and power would be better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) these days. He's not the most agile, creative attacking player, but having spent a lot time at 12 playing a "crash ball" roll, he can be used by the wallabies effectively in attack.

Obviously AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has a superior kicking game, he's also arguably better under the highball, which will be important.

A back 3 of Horne, Speight, Folau is perhaps not the most well balanced (in terms of a lack of a genuine big boot), but I previously posted that doesn't necessarily matter. Just like the Tahs, the large majority of kicking will come from the 10, 12 and 9. Sure the wallabies game plan wont be exactly the Tahs game plan, but I would hope that Cheika will be training our team not to get involved in a game of forcey backs against the NH teams.

From what I saw of England and Wales against the wallabies last year, they are pretty shithouse at attacking from their own half. They'll rely primarily on midfield bombs to get into our half. It not only gives them a good chance at regaining possession but it also forces mistakes which will give them scrum ball within kicking range. Make no mistake, that will be the aim of the game. If that's not their go-to tactic, I'll eat my hat. To a lesser extent they'll kick to the corner (the Wallabies line-out has never been particularly vulnerable). The midfield bomb approach means that we'll get plenty of possession, and we'll need to use it wisely. Make them tackle all night if possible. Run them off their feet. I don't want to see our back 3 playing AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.