• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I was watching Rugby HQ last night and Rod Kafer did a spotlight on Sam Karevi.
Interestingly, Kafer, who is acknowledged as a good judge of rugby flesh, was advocating that Karevi should be the Wallabies No 12, because of his size (109 kgs) and his ability to break the line.
Has scored something like 5 tries in 6 matches for the Reds.
Now coming from Kafer, whom you think would normally back To'omua from his Brumbies background, was very strong with his call for Karevi.
His reasoning is that the Wallabies must have big centres, like the other mainstream rugby nations have.
So be aware that Karevi will probably see a game in Wallaby colours prior to the RWC, and then On, on.
(You saw it here first;)).

P.S. Even though he may not be the best defense unit.

T

Train Without a Station

I probably wouldn't even have him in my TRC squad. Too much of a defensive liability, and won't be able to be as effective in attack at a higher level.

If I was Cheika though, I'd definitely be talking to him and telling him exactly what I want to see from him in the hope he will deliver that over the rest of Super Rugby, the NRC then next season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Travel costs would likely include accommodation, etc. though wouldn't it? Airline sponsors (partners) are quite common in sport. AFL has Virgin for example.

there would likely be a portion of contra (perhaps $150k worth) and some cash component and then a requirement for all bookings to be made with QANTAS (or whomever) paidf, perhaps at a cheaper rate.

QANTAS would definitely expect paid business out of it

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Kerevi has Wallaby potential, of that there is no doubt however I will be VERY surprised if he gains a cap this year. 2016 may be his time.

He also doesn't fit the current Australian test mould of having your primary distributors at 9, 10, 12 and strike runners at 11, 13-15. The relative merits of that system vs playing to boppers in the midfield and a distributor at 15 instead in another discussion.

With the emergence of TK and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s foreign eligibility...if I was Samu I would want to focus as much on playing 12 for QLD as possible

T

TOCC

I think Cheika should include Kerevi in the Rugby Championship squad to give him a feel for things, but I don't expect him to make the RWC of guys like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kuridrani are fit, it's a season to early for the big fella..

However looking to the future, I do like the thought of Kerevi and Kuridrani partnering in the centres, it would give a few teams a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

TOCC, I think in the future a 12-13-14 axis of Kerevi - Kuridrani - Kuridrani would be lethal.

But I don't expect Cheika to include Kerevi for TRC if he won't be in the RWC squad unless players like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are rested. He'd potentially already possibly want to look at past proven test performers like Giteau and Mitchell. Considering that To'omua will not have played many games he's more likely to want to use him as much as possible too, rather than rest him. Kuridrani probably also falls in that boat.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Cheika should include Kerevi in the Rugby Championship squad to give him a feel for things, but I don't expect him to make the RWC of guys like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kuridrani are fit, it's a season to early for the big fella..

However looking to the future, I do like the thought of Kerevi and Kuridrani partnering in the centres, it would give a few teams a headache.

Too many options at 12 already. To'omua then Lilo and Gits - all experienced campers who are playing solidly. I'd expect Chieka could potentially play around with combinations with these guys rather then bringing in Kerevi.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As with Hammertime, if Chieka wants to continue the tactic from last year with a double 10 system there is no chance of having a straight running centre at 12. If the system was to change in that direction I would have to say that either Inman (similar in size to Kerevi) or Rob Horne have far better form. In particular Horne, even though he has been played at wing all year.

On Horne it should be noted by the S&C staff around the country how he has recovered from his recurrent hamstring issues without losing any pace or power it seems to me. I am sure there is a great story there, not just from the efforts of Horne, but from the expert treatment and advice.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

too early for him, his defensive decisions and work rate off the ball is still below par

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kerevi's might still be a year off..........

He's been very Kuridrani-like recently.......... just needs to work on a few things (much like Kuridrani did) and he'll be pushing for selection.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Any other year you could take Kerevi on the EOYT. This year, with 4 games to find the best RWC XV Cheika would be barking mad to have him in the TRC squad without serious plans to use him later in the year. He isn't flexible enough for the bench.

I don't think he is ready. One day he may be an option at 12 if Aus wants to move to the big centre pairs so common elsewhere. He couldn't be further from KB (Kurtley Beale) though and that is the type of 12 Cheika played on last years EOYT, so it's not something that seems to be on his radar.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I still think Tomane is right up there amongst the tight pack of wingers. 25yrs old 188 cm and 100kg. He adds serious size to the wallabies and has a good level of experience at test level. On this forum though he seems on the outer.

Status
Not open for further replies.