• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Nothing will change. Torrance I heard was shuffled to cranbrook as he was front and centre of the scholarship fiasco that has ruined scots image. Not liked by the parents as he played favorites with the scholarship kids.
Just home from post work meeting with ....
This is not the case at all.
What substance do you have in regards to this?
It seems that parents overall liked both Torrance and Blackburn as well as Kelly. Maybe the shifting of chairs and the shuffling of files has clouded the view somewhat.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I was at a dinner recently where Nick Farr Jones was guest speaker. He was asked about his comments he made last year concerning the Scots New debacle. He rambled a bit but said his primary concern was the big mismatches where there may be safety issues if the size, speed and strength of the scholarship team is superior to the non scholarship team. He went on to say that his school Newington had offered scholarships and bought a premiership. He said he fronted the Head of school and the explanation given was the only schools that complained were the schools with waiting lists. Something New had never had. So in order for it to gain a waiting list it had to become a school of excellence. Hense the need for sporting scholarships. Wouldn't you think if you wanted to be more like the schools with waiting lists you would copy their formula?

Yes, although;
For entry to Year 5 or 7 at our Stanmore and Lindfield Campuses in 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2019 please be advised registrations have now CLOSED due to high demand for places. We will not be accepting any NEW registrations for these entry years.
http://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/admissions/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well, it must work then. Don't think the Shore waiting list is getting any smaller though.

Although in fairness I think the waiting list has more to do with their recent academic success than a couple of good rugby teams. My information is that the rugby scholarshipping was down to the previous head and the current guy isn't following that line.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Well, it must work then. Don't think the Shore waiting list is getting any smaller though.

Sure is hard to get into Shore.

I know a boy who is in Yr 8 now. His parents,from a good family, put his name on the waiting list when he was baby.
In about Yr 4 or 5 the mother rang Shore to see the enrolments were progressing and was told that unfortunately there was no chance of the boy getting a spot.
The mother said, "but we put his name down on the waiting list when he was a baby!"
The Shore Registrar replied "Mrs Smith, he was six months old!"

The boy is now at Knox.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Sure is hard to get into Shore.

I know a boy who is in Yr 8 now. His parents,from a good family, put his name on the waiting list when he was baby.
In about Yr 4 or 5 the mother rang Shore to see the enrolments were progressing and was told that unfortunately there was no chance of the boy getting a spot.
The mother said, "but we put his name down on the waiting list when he was a baby!"
The Shore Registrar replied "Mrs Smith, he was six months old!"

The boy is now at Knox.
Obviously he was not the Son of an oldboy.

Next we will have to school kids through from kindergarten to get a spot in the senior school.

The other option is to organise family planning so that any potential boy is born in the first quarter of the year, to give a better chance of securing a place.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think its done on days since birth and sons of old boys (including 4th generation) miss out.
they were offering spots to those outside the 200 if they took up positions at the prep school when it opened.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Obviously he was not the Son of an oldboy.

Next we will have to school kids through from kindergarten to get a spot in the senior school.

The other option is to organise family planning so that any potential boy is born in the first quarter of the year, to give a better chance of securing a place.

For reasons probably lost in the mists of time, the 10th of May is their cut off date for each intake. A late May birthday would thus be the most opportune.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Shore does seem to have the least manipulable of the 'locked' waiting lists. As indicated above, 4 generations typically count for nought, unless you have the fountain pen poised at the birth font so to speak. Possible exception for Wallaby progeny (yes, not necessarily evident in recent results)?

Pilfer

Bob McCowan (2)
It was easier when I was at aloys, but apparently only 1 in 5 boys who apply make aloys. Furthermore to enter who you need to be a catholic, it definitely helps if you have old boy relations and you have to sit a barrier test (selective ) to enter. Unfortunately whilst the Atar has gone up the rugby results have remained similarly low (this year an exception). Private schools can easily maintain high enrolments with lower sporting results

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So a little birdie told me about the all expenses paid transfer from SIC to TSC of a very strong athlete. About year 9 or 10 I hear.
Apparently his parents find it somewhat embarrassing when the good Doctor rabbits on in public about the absence of sporting scholarships.
No doubt someone will set me straight.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A quick google search of the name of one of the New props reveals that he was at Trinity just two years ago. I know its common for boys to come to the GPS from lesser 'known' private schools (Auggies)and of course from state schools, but is it common that there is movement from the CAS to the GPS? Not implying this boy is on scholarship btw.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
A quick google search of the name of one of the New props reveals that he was at Trinity just two years ago. I know its common for boys to come to the GPS from lesser 'known' private schools (Auggies)and of course from state schools, but is it common that there is movement from the CAS to the GPS? Not implying this boy is on scholarship btw.
Perfectly understandable. Bad snakes around Summer Hill.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
The registrar ... At shore ... I gather a female ... Mans the phones apparently her name is mud.

Number of ex shore boys (multiple generations) with sons now at scots , cranbrook Etc ... Have told me they were left with very nasty taste in their mouth

Shore headmaster should look at it ... Disgraceful treatment of old boys

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
She's got a difficult job though. There's a finite number of boys who can go to the school and mathematically there isn't room for every son of every old boy. Some of those upset people probably just don't like the answer they're getting. The mathematical equation wouldn't change if it was a male registrar.:)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I doubt very much if Shore can't squeeze all the sons of OBs who'd like to go there into the place. Many OBs don't have sons, quite a few move away, another lot can't afford the fees and there'd be some who don't want to send their sons to Shore for various reasons. Melbourne Grammar have a theoretical ceiling of 50% of their intake are sons of OBs; they seem to squeeze in all those who'd like to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.