• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Talk of club championship a bit early. third grade coach had very few at training on tuesday and they are behind colts 2 again this week. Some very unhappy players now.

I understand their unhappiness.
3rd grade should be at Coogee instead of (or as well as) Colts2s IMO.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree coach. Third grade should be at Coogee and if Colts twos are there then they should be first on 9.30?. I commend the idea of the whole of Club approach but the heart of a club comes from the lower grades who play year in and year out without an likely hood of a professional contract. Rockstars make for a good CV but will move on at the earliest opportunity.
Can someone in authority explain the reasoning behind this grade snub?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fourth grade ran over the top of a spirited SD side who had a stand out second rower.The steady hand of the wicks 10 is much needed in this team. 31-12
Thirds was another tough affair with some heated conversations late in the game as the wicks pulled away. The Wicks thirds are a good side technically and need to maintain their rage -26-13
Reserve grade had the goods on the SD's especially in the scrum. They were quite dominant . The 6 for wicks was best on field together with the steady boot of his winger who also scored a great try and played well. The nine's cover defence is exceptional but he was scragged a bit behind the dominant scrum. 37-14
First Grade - Never in doubt ? but for the very good nine for SD. SD lost their leading player to injury which hurt, and Wicks lost a winger to two bits of stupid play which cost them, but it shows great character to snatch a victory at the end of a hard fought game-25-23

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Fourth grade ran over the top of a spirited SD side who had a stand out second rower.The steady hand of the wicks 10 is much needed in this team. 31-12
Thirds was another tough affair with some heated conversations late in the game as the wicks pulled away. The Wicks thirds are a good side technically and need to maintain their rage -26-13
Reserve grade had the goods on the SD's especially in the scrum. They were quite dominant . The 6 for wicks was best on field together with the steady boot of his winger who also scored a great try and played well. The nine's cover defence is exceptional but he was scragged a bit behind the dominant scrum. 37-14
First Grade - Never in doubt ? but for the very good nine for SD. SD lost their leading player to injury which hurt, and Wicks lost a winger to two bits of stupid play which cost them, but it shows great character to snatch a victory at the end of a hard fought game-25-23

I thought the turning point in 1sts was when Patrick Phibbs came on in the second half. His experience and selective passing got the Wicks moving forward and he grabbed the match winning try just before FT. Hope he's in the 1sts run on team from now on. Can't beat an old head at 9 with such a young backline. It will be interesting to see how he goes in combination with Horwitz at 10.

I also thought Taripo was unlucky to cop a red card. I thought both the tackles he received yellow cards for were just good around the legs driving tackles which looked bad because the tackled player fell awkwardly --- no lifting or deliberate flipping on either occasion IMO.

7 wins out of 7 games is a great outcome for the Club Championship with Eastwood and Uni both losing in 1st and 2nd grade.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I thought the turning point in 1sts was when Patrick Phibbs came on in the second half. His experience and selective passing got the Wicks moving forward and he grabbed the match winning try just before FT. Hope he's in the 1sts run on team from now on. Can't beat an old head at 9 with such a young backline. It will be interesting to see how he goes in combination with Horwitz at 10.

I also thought Taripo was unlucky to cop a red card. I thought both the tackles he received yellow cards for were just good around the legs driving tackles which looked bad because the tackled player fell awkwardly --- no lifting or deliberate flipping on either occasion IMO.

7 wins out of 7 games is a great outcome for the Club Championship with Eastwood and Uni both losing in 1st and 2nd grade.

Agree about Phibbs. Some "game management" goes well. Agree with you on the first Taripo incident - the second was silly - he tackled a guy who was in the air trying to catch a ball and the ref was therefore compelled to yellow card him. He then had 2 yellows which meant a red card applied - trouble is that the first one was unjustified.
Must give the coaching staff a wrap here - thought the timing of replacements worked a treat and turned the game. Think some of our forwards need to step up.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Match report from yesterday?

Just no bleating re 3's on a different paddock please?
It was more council that did this to the grades this weekend.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Wow, colts on Saturday at Chatswood and grade at Coogee on Sunday.
Colts 1 = 1 v 4
Colts 2 = 1 v 4
Colts 3 = 1 v 2 (both undefeated)
Will Mrs Coach give me a leave pass for both days?
Watch this space :rolleyes:

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I have to be honest here I find it easier to park in Chatswood than Coogee!

Probably a local knowledge thing, but for someone who likes to watch all games (not just 1sts) I can easily find free all day parking within 5 minutes walk at Coogee, but I always struggled at Chatswood. Anyway, with the Gold Opal Card it's cheaper to get the train / bus where feasible.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting changes in the Wicks backline this week:
Coupland from FB to wing (Taripo to 2nds)
Latinipalu from centre to wing (Ford fresh reserve)
Norton from 10 to FB (to make way for Horwitz's return)
Brogan Roods back from injury in the centre
The backline looked pretty ordinary against Norths last week so hopefully these changes will improve the attack.

Hope Roods is finally over all his injuries and gets through the game!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Agreed with Roods. Hopefully He stays on the paddock to get a season of footy in.
How many are left in Team Rehab to come back?
Would they make a decent side? ;)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Thoughts on colts games today?

At 7:30pm I predict Wicks will win 1sts and 2nds and Gordon 3rds ;)

Both 3rds teams were undefeated so a great effort by Gordon.
Three great games with the results in the balance down to the last 10 minutes of each game.
Not a single kick for penalty goal in any of the 3 games.
Both teams committed to scroring tries.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed with Roods. Hopefully He stays on the paddock to get a season of footy in.
How many are left in Team Rehab to come back?
Would they make a decent side? ;)

Wicks currently have 7 players involved in the U20s World Cup. In the Australian team Andrew Kellaway (who was playing 1st grade), Andrew Deegan (1st and 2nd grade), Ned Hanigan (grade and colts), Olly Kamp (grade and colts), Sam Croke (1st and 2nd grade), Lukhan Lealaiauloco-Tui (grade and colts) and Vuni Fifita (grade) in the Tongan team. Henry Hutchinson (grade and colts) was also in the U20 squad but unable to make the team due to injury and is still injured.
Also unavailable due to injury (?) are Auvasa Faleallii (ankle, 1st grade half), Kuki Ma'afu (?,1st grade centre), Tom Hiddleston (broken finger, 2nd grade wing / FB), Alex Harrod (2nd grade flanker), George Harrison (2nd grade flanker), Moa Meliepo (1st and 2nd grade centre), Eni Folau (2nd grade front rower, waratah backup player), Marcus Heather (1st grade front rower at Southern last year), Seamus Frost (1st grade winger in round 1), Sione Tovo (2nd grade 8). Potentially all of these guys could be challenging for 1st grade or at least on the bench.

There may be others as well but these are the ones I could think of.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Possible team from above:
front row -- Heather, Fifita, Folau
hooker -- ?
locks -- Tui, Hanigan
flankers -- Harrison, Croke, Harrod
no 8 -- Kamp, Tovo
half -- Faleallii
no 10 -- Deegan
wings -- Frost, Meliepo
centres -- Ma'afu, Kellaway, Hutchinson