• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh Timely cracker from Speight. He's been a bit quiet as of late. A good reminder why most people have him penciled in for a starting spot

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Me personally no but plenty were pinning him up against Horwill for the last lock spot. I would take Jones, Coleman and Arnold before both.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Carter was/is still in the mix. He'd possibly make TRC squad, depending on whether Cheika already had plans on using him after last year. Based on his play this season though, i think he's unlikely to be selected for the WC.

There are more effective workhorses (Jones), there are more impressive rookies (Coleman/Arnold) and there are more experienced, set piece options (Horwill).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I still think Tomane is right up there amongst the tight pack of wingers. 25yrs old 188 cm and 100kg. He adds serious size to the wallabies and has a good level of experience at test level. On this forum though he seems on the outer.

Yes. He had another very good game and was particularly strong in the air under pressure. Speight also showed what he has scoring two tries and playing a solid game all around.
Plenty of healthy competition for the Wallaby wing spots:)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I still think Tomane is right up there amongst the tight pack of wingers. 25yrs old 188 cm and 100kg. He adds serious size to the wallabies and has a good level of experience at test level. On this forum though he seems on the outer.
Tomane and Speight would be my wingers, then daylight.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Brumbies have been pulling Arnold at around the 40-50 minute mark and he appeared to struggle last night when he had to play on after Carters injury.
I don't think he is ready - same as Skelton last year.
Could be an opportunity for Coleman?
Id be picking Coleman, I love Rory but his work rate isn't there yet, much like skelton last year.. I think his a year or 2 off.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
As with Hammertime, if Chieka wants to continue the tactic from last year with a double 10 system there is no chance of having a straight running centre at 12. If the system was to change in that direction I would have to say that either Inman (similar in size to Kerevi) or Rob Horne have far better form. In particular Horne, even though he has been played at wing all year.

Oh come on, how could you say that. Neither of those players have had the line break ability that Kerevi has displayed this season, with opponents now waiting for him and with a weaker team.
I mean, 5 tries, how many has Inman achieved, and Horne is a winger.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Higgers comes into the frame heavily when Pocock/Hooper are on at the same time. Better lineout operator than Palu and McCalman.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Oh come on, how could you say that. Neither of those players have had the line break ability that Kerevi has displayed this season, with opponents now waiting for him and with a weaker team.
I mean, 5 tries, how many has Inman achieved, and Horne is a winger.

The job of the 12 isn't so much to score the tries as to straighten the attack if that is the mode of centre that is being played as opposed to a second distributor model. In that case Kerevi could do the job but he would have to achieve far better ball security and develop a better ability to offload. Horne and Inman have that, with Horne IMO better. The key aspect that they have that Kerevi lacks ATM is defence. Inman and Horne (even with Horne positioned on the wing he is defending at 12 for Beale) are far better this year. Kerevi has huge potential but it would be a big call to select him this year and a departure from the tactics of Chieka.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Reckon Higgers comes into consideration for 2 combinations of backrowers.

First is Hooper and Pocock, as the best lineout operating number 8 of Palu, McCalman and himself, you could play him alongside Skelton and still have 2 top quality jumpers.

The second is Fardy and Pocock, with 2 tighter flankers, he'd be capable as operating in the role of the looser forward and use his strength and agility wider of the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.