• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why is Marto employed as a commentator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
"David Pocock won't captain Wallabies: Greg Martin".

I've seen the headlines but I refuse to read the articles, just too foolish for words. There might be other legitimate reasons why Pocock won't captain the Wallabies again anytime soon, however, Martin's theorem will unlikely (and very fortunately) sway national selectors.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
You should probably read the article before passing judgement, doing otherwise makes you look foolish.

EDIT: Yes, I acknowledge that apparent foolishness on my part. I should've said that I had also read the byline which was enough for me.;)

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
There was no byline. It was an AAP article (in SMH at least) . After Marto's little bit it goes on to say the Sydney Convicts have invited Jacpot to training and a few games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was no byline. It was an AAP article (in SMH at least) . After Marto's little bit it goes on to say the Sydney Convicts have invited Jacpot to training and a few games.
He would be absolutely devastating in Subbies Div 4 if he accepts the Convicts invitation, and he is released by Randwick.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nick McArdle on Rugby HQ about Marto moonlighting as a Motorsport Cmmentator for FoxTel.

I was talking to the one of the producers in the Motorsport Department and asked them if he (Marto) was going OK and he said "Nah. Complete rubbish. He's got no idea."

So no change then.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To his credit Marto went hard on MMM this week over the Greg Bird lifting tackle in the ANZAC Test (his 4th visit to the judiciary for that offence in 12 months & 6th overall, he's now the most-suspended player current NRL player in terms of weeks served & something like 3rd of all time). Gave Gordon Tallis (who's now an "ambassador" for Bird's club) a grilling for defending the bloke, too.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Couldn't find the general Commentator thread, so I'll post this here.

I'm a big fan of Kafer's commentary/analysis. But am i the only one that get annoyed at how he feels like he has to call out every signal marginal call that goes the way of an Australian team. He seems to feel like it's his job to play devil's advocate against the aussie teams. He's basically the opposite of marto.

I like him being impartial, but i sometime think he's looking for ways to nit pick against our teams. The kiwi commentators usually get it just right. They'll comment when a call in favour of the kiwis is clearly a bad one, but they'll turn a blind eye to marginal calls.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It gets exponentially worse when he calls a Tahs game. Marto and Kearns are bias to their teams but Kafe just hates the Tahs.

Reactions: BDA

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ what's that all about anyway? Plenty of comms are biased towards "their" team but I'm struggling to think of anyone who's as anti a particular team regardless of who they're playing as is the case with Kafer & the 'tahs. It seems almost personal TBH.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The big difference is that Marto and Kearns are quite open about their sympathies so anyone can factor that in when listening to them. They both do it in such a boof-headed way it's more light comedy than sports commentary.

Kafer on the other hand, purports to be this all-knowing, impartial analyst whose every word should be treated as gospel. No doubt as a result of their victory in 2014, his hatred of the Waratahs has now reached a such a level that he's incapable of analyisng any game in which they play.

I can't think of any comentator in any sport who so obviously death-rides a team - even when his own team aren't even playing.

I find the South African commentators the best of them all.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
yeh the saffa commentators are the most level headed. But they're also the most boring imo

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Saffa commentators are very boring and incredibly biased when it's anyone but a SA team playing another SA team.

Aussie announcers are boofheads but are the most entertaining of the bunch by far.

NZ commentators are the best overall and have been for a while.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The less these people speak, the better.

It's television, after all, not the radio. When can see what is happening, we do not need to be told that player A just passed the ball to player B - we can see it.

Okay, identify the players, but don't tell us what we can see.

A bit of explanation is okay, but these dimwits always try to predict the next phase, and always get it wrong, "They'll go left from this scrum" always means that they will actually go right. Invariably.

Status
Not open for further replies.