• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The job of the 12 isn't so much to score the tries as to straighten the attack if that is the mode of centre that is being played as opposed to a second distributor model. In that case Kerevi could do the job but he would have to achieve far better ball security and develop a better ability to offload. Horne and Inman have that, with Horne IMO better. The key aspect that they have that Kerevi lacks ATM is defence. Inman and Horne (even with Horne positioned on the wing he is defending at 12 for Beale) are far better this year. Kerevi has huge potential but it would be a big call to select him this year and a departure from the tactics of Chieka.

It wouldn't be as big of a call as selecting Inman........ Tom Carter MK II.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Oh come on, how could you say that. Neither of those players have had the line break ability that Kerevi has displayed this season, with opponents now waiting for him and with a weaker team.
I mean, 5 tries, how many has Inman achieved, and Horne is a winger.

Kerevi has a lot of potential, but a few things to work on.

His defence is pretty piss poor atm.

Ball security, and his consistancy need to improve, but he's got a huge ceiling.

Not yet though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Here's what I think will happen. He'll be in the 23 for the RC, judging off his performance against Foley, we'll have our 10 for the RWC.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
How good is QC (Quade Cooper), he makes players around him better.

When he hasn't tried to do too much and overplay the flashy stuff, he has shown to be an excellent 1st 5. Improved kicking game and a reliable goal kicker.

His confidence has been knocked about throughout his career though. When he plays with assurance and is healthy, he would be/is the 10 the Wallabies want and need.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What about how he actually manages to project himself as an intelligent human being in interviews too?

Excellent to see how far he has come both on and off the field.

His maturity and humility (who would've thought those words would be used about Quade) has impressed me, but what's really really stood out is his absolute love for the game. And I think this pure passion for rugby shows in how he plays as well. He's not interested in dour wins, he wants to play.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
A few observations from the Reds v Force game.

- great to see Cooper back and straight into sparkling form. The perfect game for his comeback, because we all know he's a confidence player and that game should give him a lot of confidence going forward. His Goal kicking technique looks excellent. What we did see tonight was what a difference Quade's distribution makes to the Reds' attack. Genia all of a sudden looked like a world beater. Most notable those was his major strength, which is his long passing game. His long passing game is better than any other 10 in world rugby and is a huge benefit for a team looking to play running rugby.

It's appropriate at this time to point out that the Force are statistically the worst side in the comp, so tougher tests will come in the next few weeks.

- I think it is difficult to argue that Horwill didn't outplay Coleman tonight. He was very good. He was busier in the loose, played the full 80 and effective in the set piece (as usual). One of his better games this season. Again I'll point out that it is easier to win these individual battles when your team to dominating the opposition, but I do believe that Horwill should get some recognition for winning a points decision regardless.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Cooper usually looks amazing when his team spends most of the game on the front foot. The RWC will be different conditions so the next few weeks will be a better judge of whether he should be our preferred 10

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Cooper usually looks amazing when his team spends most of the game on the front foot. The RWC will be different conditions so the next few weeks will be a better judge of whether he should be our preferred 10
Who is our other 10 who looks good behind a beaten pack.?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
His maturity and humility (who would've thought those words would be used about Quade) has impressed me, but what's really really stood out is his absolute love for the game. And I think this pure passion for rugby shows in how he plays as well. He's not interested in dour wins, he wants to play.
It's a shame he wants to do so in France.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QC (Quade Cooper) has lifted the Reds from 15th to 12th in one game. Let's see Foley do lift the Tahs 3 spots in one game.
24bbdbfdcfa7a3b7dc63da17fb70784c.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

@BDA I certainly do not advocate picking on one game, but as I noted on the match thread, I either missed what all the fuss is about Coleman, or it wasn't there tonight. One game doesn't make a season, but to show you're a better option as an uncapped player, surely you need to win the head to head battles in some way.

Despite the seemingly accepted view that Horwill is in "poor form" he's actually had a few very good games this season and has been adequate in all others. Even when he was carded after 20 against the Rebels, he was actually having a stormer or a game until that point. His form should be watched very closely for the last 2 games. If Horwill plays like last night I think it's an indication I was spot on in my assessment of players who have been on wallaby duty struggling to back up for the start of the super rugby season.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What's the big deal with head to head battles? Apart from the front row I don't think they mean a whole lot. Especially 10's, I'd be concerned* if the battle for the Wallaby 10 was based on how Foley & Cooper perform in isolation in the last game.

*unless QC (Quade Cooper) has a blinder.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What's the big deal with head to head battles? Apart from the front row I don't think they mean a whole lot. Especially 10's, I'd be concerned* if the battle for the Wallaby was 10 was based on how Foley & Cooper perform in isolation the last game.

*unless QC (Quade Cooper) has a blinder.
Indeed.
I would think the Wallabies' coaches would have a very solid handle on their squad, and most movements from now would due to injuries / suspensions to players they have on the sheet. Cooper, for example, has always been on Cheika's radar (his press utterings have been fairly clear) so he was always going to be in the mix, provided he ca,e back fit and in some form, which it seems he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.