• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Spirits thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Saw a bottle of Timboon single malt recently, anyone tasted it?

I recall tasting it a few years back when I was down in the area. I was fairly full at the time but I seem to remember going back for seconds. I recall smooth oakiness being the overriding flavour.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Timboon does a phenomenal job of tasting like a much older whisky than it actually is. From memory it had a bit of a tart opening, with lots of vanilla and oak in the middle and a very clean finish almost reminiscent of an excellent black tea. Very balanced and also full-bodied.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If anyone in Sydney's interested in the Sullivans Coves I saw a bottle of the green label (American oak) at Valores Smithfield last week and yesterday I spotted a bottle of the blue label (French oak) at Bellevue Hill Bottle Shop. The Oak Barrel might have a bottle of the white label (mixed casks) left, they're the only bottles I've seen in Sydney in the last year. Be warned, they're not cheap.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If anyone in Sydney's interested in the Sullivans Coves I saw a bottle of the green label (American oak) at Valores Smithfield last week and yesterday I spotted a bottle of the blue label (French oak) at Bellevue Hill Bottle Shop. The Oak Barrel might have a bottle of the white label (mixed casks) left, they're the only bottles I've seen in Sydney in the last year. Be warned, they're not cheap.

They have some bottles at Steves Cool Booze in Kingsford as well. (as well as 4 Craft Beer taps for Growler fills, but that is another thread).

I'm not a great fan of Bourbon, but a mate produced a bottle of Knob Creek at his place before dinner last night. Some sort of Jim Beam off shoot.

250px-Knob_Creek.JPG

I loved the name. The bourbon wasn't too bad either. I thought is was fairly earthy for a bourbon.

Starry

Frank Row (1)
omggg im so dumb lol ignore my post ahahah i thought u meant like real spirits not like drinks lol myyy badddd pplz

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm new to Scotch. Well, new to good scotch anyway. Historically it's always been something I order with dry after I've had too much beer.

Anyway, I was given a bottle of Glenfiddich 'The Original' and cracked it open tonight. It's my first single malt and also the first time I've ever had scotch neat and it was quite an experience! I tried a few sips just by itself and then added a little water to see what that was like.
I really have no idea what I'm talking about but it seemed very smooth. Nothing like what I was expecting. It was quite spicey at first but after a while the spices mellowed and I experienced a beautiful fruity flavour! I didn't notice any smoke or woody flavours that I hear a lot of people talk about with scotches but that doesn't surprise me.

Has anyone else tried it? How does it stack up? It's certainly piqued my interest and I'm keen to learn and taste more!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just spent the afternoon doing tastings at four pillars gin.

Well worth the trip to Healesville with the plethora of great wineries

The Navy gin is the bomb, as is the wood aged

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...uidelines-compare-with-the-rest-of-the-worlds

Article basically states guys should drink no more than 14 units a week (not a day).

Best reader comment:
The Spanish have equally qualified experts who rate the danger as 30'sh/week. Many drink red wine to excess but have a lower cardiovascular risk than the US/Poms/Aussies. The Spanish and Catalonians drink wine with nearly every meal - lunch and dinner sometimes a bubbly white with breakfast on the weekend. My brother in law and his Catalonian wife have been buying wine in jugs that have been in the family about 200 years, from their local winery (near the French border about 40km out of Barcelona) with 500 year old barrels; and the Catalonians ditto all above. In fact Antonia's father's biggest health risk at age 15 was Franco's daily firing squads.
The Japanese have a varied low fat diet free of the "hard" fats, but some of the career men binge drink to excess usually sake or whiskey but have a lower cardiovascular risk than ditto above. The Germans eat a lot of sausage, pork knuckle with "hard fats" and often drink lots of beer especially at the end of Sep but have a lower cardiovascular risk than the Poms/US/Aussies.
The French drink excessive amounts of red wine (introduced to them at a very early age), dairy, cheese, fatty , meals etc but have a lower cardiovascular risk than Yanks/Poms/Aussies.

Conclusion: drink and eat what you like; speaking English is what kills you earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.