• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brentwood

Stan Wickham (3)
I go and see a lot of games during a year and I am confused . Can someone tell me what the difference is to using no arms in a tackle in the open and you get a yellow card but if you use no arms in a tackle in and around the 10 -20 of the ruck / maul nothing is given?

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I go and see a lot of games during a year and I am confused . Can someone tell me what the difference is to using no arms in a tackle in the open and you get a yellow card but if you use no arms in a tackle in and around the 10 -20 of the ruck / maul nothing is given?
Have to use arms in all contact. No shoulder hits. With reference to 2nd post. I think it depends on the Ref and qualifications of person running the line. Parochial crowds shouting advice to Ref don't count.

The Grass Cutter

Frank Row (1)
Eastern Suburbs grab a bonus point win in 1st colts against Gordon, final score was about 27-19 (5 tries to 3).
Easts had what would be very close to their strongest XV out there for the first time this season, and it really showed. Several long-range, flowing tries were the result of slick attack, whilst the defence forced a remarkable number of errors from the Gordon boys. Gordon had a chance right at the death, but an ill-advised cutout ball from a prop who shall remain nameless saw the Easts winger streak the length of the field to seal the result.

2nds went Gordon's way, winning 24-19 after being up 24-0 going into the half. The game was looking eerily similar to their last matchup, with Gordon racing out to an early lead before Easts' forwards led a spirited fight-back, falling agonisingly close to a chance at victory, dropping the ball in Gordon's 22 with seconds on the clock.

3rds was a draw, with play continuing several minutes after the siren as both teams searched for the victory. Easts audaciously attempted a penalty from about 45m out after the buzzer, but the kick fell short. Gordon's first non-win of the season. Final score was 19-all.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Eastern Suburbs grab a bonus point win in 1st colts against Gordon, final score was about 27-19 (5 tries to 3).
Easts had what would be very close to their strongest XV out there for the first time this season, and it really showed. Several long-range, flowing tries were the result of slick attack, whilst the defence forced a remarkable number of errors from the Gordon boys. Gordon had a chance right at the death, but an ill-advised cutout ball from a prop who shall remain nameless saw the Easts winger streak the length of the field to seal the result.

2nds went Gordon's way, winning 24-19 after being up 24-0 going into the half. The game was looking eerily similar to their last matchup, with Gordon racing out to an early lead before Easts' forwards led a spirited fight-back, falling agonisingly close to a chance at victory, dropping the ball in Gordon's 22 with seconds on the clock.

3rds was a draw, with play continuing several minutes after the siren as both teams searched for the victory. Easts audaciously attempted a penalty from about 45m out after the buzzer, but the kick fell short. Gordon's first non-win of the season. Final score was 19-all.
Wow! Well done the Beasts. It is going to be quite a final series.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 12 Results

W. McMahon Memorial Shield - Colts 1
Northern Suburbs 57 Warringah 19
Eastern Suburbs 27 Gordon 19
Eastwood 10 Southern Districts 41
Parramatta 38 Manly 13
Sydney University 31 Randwick 49
West Harbour 28 The Bye 0

Shell Trophy - Colts 2
Northern Suburbs 29 Warringah 5
Eastern Suburbs 19 Gordon 24
Eastwood 24 Southern Districts 33
Parramatta 35 Manly 17
Sydney University 21 Randwick 8
West Harbour 35 Penrith 32

Bill Simpson Shield - Colts 3
Northern Suburbs 27 Warringah 12
Eastern Suburbs 19 Gordon 19
Eastwood 23 Southern Districts 17
Parramatta 26 Manly 21
Sydney University 17 Randwick 21
West Harbour 19 Penrith 12

Round 13 Games - 20 June
Sydney University v Eastern Suburbs
Manly v Eastwood
Northern Suburbs v Penrith (Bye in Colts 1)
Gordon v Warringah
Randwick v West Harbour
Southern Districts v Parramatta

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Eric Spilsted Shield (Colts Club Championship) Watch:
Not a good day for The Corporation who see the Wix extend their lead.

As predicted Northern Suburbs have passed Gordon and moved into 3rd place. Beasties have likewise leapfrogged Woodies into 6th place and are breathing down the neck of the Hobbits.

I reckon that there will be more positional jockeying in mid table next week.

There are a maximum of 55 points available to a club each week, based on all 3 colts teams winning with a 4 try BP.

Randwick, 597 points
Sydney University, 565 points
Northern Suburbs, 500 points (up 1 place)
Gordon, 466 points (down 1 place)
Southern Districts, 361 points
Eastern Suburbs, 340 points (up 1 place)
Eastwood, 316 points (down 1 place)
Manly, 283 points
Parramatta, 261 points
West Harbour, 232 points
Penrith, 91 points
Warringah, 52 points#

How the Colts Club Championship table is calculated.
The competition points from the individual competitions are multiplied by the following factors and then added together.
Colts 1 - 6
Colts 2 - 3
Colts 3 - 2

# Warringah deducted 4 points for a Late Forfeit in Round 1 Colts 3, and 2 Points for a Forfeit in Round 2 Colts 3.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What on earth is happening out at Warringah? In addition to the above, apparently when they played Penrith, Warringah only had 25 players for 2nd and 3rd colts. Something very stange going on when a club with a fairly strong junior set up struggles to field 3 colts teams.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Also regarding what is happening at Warringah? WHy are Manly so patchy? Loss in all grades vs Parramatta.

I noticed those results - first time for quite a while I'd imagine. Both clubs do appear close on the Colts Club Championship ladder, so maybe not entirely unexpected. It may be that things at Parramatta are on the way up and Manly aren't as good as they have been in recent years. These things are cyclical, but Manly certainly need to be on guard not to let things slip. Colts requires constant and sustained effort by management and a high quality coaching programme to attract the best talent. No club can afford to take anything for granted.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I noticed those results - first time for quite a while I'd imagine. Both clubs do appear close on the Colts Club Championship ladder, so maybe not entirely unexpected. It may be that things at Parramatta are on the way up and Manly aren't as good as they have been in recent years. These things are cyclical, but Manly certainly need to be on guard not to let things slip. Colts requires constant and sustained effort by management and a high quality coaching programme to attract the best talent. No club can afford to take anything for granted.
True, and a really good response. Colts is the place where it all happens.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What on earth is happening out at Warringah? In addition to the above, apparently when they played Penrith, Warringah only had 25 players for 2nd and 3rd colts. Something very stange going on when a club with a fairly strong junior set up struggles to field 3 colts teams.

Possibly this:
Jack Hayson has easily been 1st Colts' best, week in and week out. This is a superb young man, who travels in from Palm Beach for the Club and never misses a session, he is durable, tough and has a huge future in not only for this Club but in the game as well.
http://www.randwickrugby.com.au/coaches-corner/4677-round-12-from-the-coaches-corner

This player played rounds 1 - 4 with Warringah Club in Colts 1 (including round 4 against Randwick). Rugby Link records show him as playing rounds 5 - 11 with Randwick in Colts 1 and cameos in Grade 2 and 3

Similar "out of area" registrations and the creation of "superteams" have killed many teams and clubs in the Junior Village Club Rugby Ranks, and are strangling the likes of Penrith and making it very difficult for Parramatta and West Harbour to be competitive. Sometimes these superteams are is due to active recruiting by Coaches or Clubs, sometimes it is players, or parents that gravitate towards clubs they see as giving them the best chance for them to develop as a player.

Palm Beach to Coogee is a little extreme, because to do so, this lad is passing through Gordon, Marlins, Norths, and BuildCorps "territory" all of whom have relatively good Colts programmes and would be more convenient than commuting to Latham Park from Palm Beach.

Warringah has large numbers of junior players in their village club system across many clubs, although junior player numbers and quality drops off in the high school years as it does in most districts as many of their players gravitate towards the local private high schools with rugby programmes such as Barker, Knox, St Pius, St Augustines and Scots College, and they are no longer able to play Village Club Rugby.

It is sad that the beauty of the beaches is not enough to retain their talented young players when they graduate from School. Harry Barker and Tyson Davis are notable examples of individuals who have bucked the trend for their local Northern Beaches residents to ply their rugby skills at more "glamourous" clubs. Maybe it is that the beauty of the beaches is too much for the local lads to be bothered spending time in a gym or training at Rat Park.

Similar accusations could be laid at the feet of the Hobbits who are very active in recruiting out of the Illawarra. Every kid from the Illawarra playing Colts rugby in Sydney is weakening the Illawarra competition, but who can blame the talented athlete or their family for wanting to play at the highest level that they can even if it means a bit of a commute. Same can be said for Northern Suburbs and Gordon and players from the Central Coast. Uni and Country kids from all over the State anyone? In their defence, many of their former country players are resident in the colleges in the Uni precinct.

Just glance over some of the comments on the Under 20's World Cup thread. There are some who are suggesting that only young men who have played Senior Grade football should be selected for the Aussie Under 20's, and others that think players from Vic, WA, and the ACT may only be there because of some quota system. With some thinking like that, it is easy to understand why talented rugby players will seek out the Sydney Premiership Rugby Clubs that have, or are perceived to have, "good" colts programmes in order to increase their chances of being selected for the "next level" even if it means a bit of travel.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It would run deeper than that. In my experience boys who play rugby for either Manly or Warringah will fulfil their rugby commitments regardless and go for a surf before if they have a mind to.

My feelings exactly. I should have inserted some emoticon or the /sarc tag to illustrate my tongue-in-cheek response. No disrespect intended to the boys.

Schoolofhardknocks

Frank Nicholson (4)
You only have to look at the Hobbits 1st Colts on Saturday against the Woodies, 5 Country players in the starting line up 4 originally from Far North Coast and 1 from Illawarra the week before that had 6 Country players on the paddock at Concord Oval in the 1st Colts it great to see great talent flowing down from the Country teams.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Whereas Woodies largely rely on their own home grown players year in and year out. I don't know all their origins for sure (can someone help me out here?) but pretty sure the vast majority of Woodies colties in all 3 grades came up through their junior Eastwood rep teams, and come from local schools like Epping Boys, Marist College Eastwood, Carlingford High, etc, or played for their feeder clubs like Hillview, Dural, North Rocks, Beecroft, etc. there are certainly no 'buy ins' and absolutely no scholarships or incentives for anyone outside the area.

Schoolofhardknocks

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think you have taken me out of context and if you are implying that there is buy in's or anything thing of that nature at Southern you are sadly mistaken sir. As I know firsthand a lot of them have apprenticeships,work and attend University at their own costs they have come from the country and surrounds they love there rugby and wish to have a go in the city to see how far they can get. You have to take your hat off to them they are a fine bunch of young men all from 2nd or 3rd generation rugby households. When I played rugby and grew up in Manly some 30 plus years ago they used to call Eastwood the Western Suburbs when we travel there to play?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Whereas Woodies largely rely on their own home grown players year in and year out. I don't know all their origins for sure (can someone help me out here?) but pretty sure the vast majority of Woodies colties in all 3 grades came up through their junior Eastwood rep teams, and come from local schools like Epping Boys, Marist College Eastwood, Carlingford High, etc, or played for their feeder clubs like Hillview, Dural, North Rocks, Beecroft, etc. there are certainly no 'buy ins' and absolutely no scholarships or incentives for anyone outside the area.

Careful describing the colour of snow. Didn't realise that Killara High, and Wahroonga Juniors fell within in the Woodies Catchment Area, or just maybe Lachie Cannell joined the Woodies just to play with his new bestie and locking partner from Australian Schoolboys, Lachie Anderson.

http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/Ne...Junior-Gold-Program-Selections-Announced.aspx

http://gordonrugby.com.au/indexa1.p...013^Gordon-Juniors-to-represent-Australia`245

Others include CHS halfback Harry Rowe from Hawkesbury Juniors into the Woodies.

Every club has some "outsiders". Some outsiders arrive unsolicited and some are actively encouraged. Some come to play with mates from school and some because they have moved to the area for study or employment, and it is convenient. Plenty of the Kings School Borders from the country play their junior club footy for Woodies clubs. Those former country juniors come through the "junior Eastwood rep teams" but are they truly organic Woodies stock?

Having said that, Woodies do seem to manage the transition from Juniors to Colts to Grade quite well, and usually have competitive District Representative teams at Junior State Championships in the "difficult" years (U16s and U17s), many of which crop up in their Colts programme. Other districts are quite badly impacted by the loss of their juniors into the Private School Rugby machine at U16s and U17s and consequently there is a real disconnect in the orderly flow of players from their junior rep programme into Colts.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Also regarding what is happening at Warringah? WHy are Manly so patchy? Loss in all grades vs Parramatta.
Patchy?
Manly are truly woeful in 2's & 3's,and rely on 2 or 3 stars every week in 1's.
a handful of kids can't hold up a whole club.
They should spend some of their players budget on better coaching next year IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.