• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Looks like Tongan thor just confirmed Tapuais move to the western force?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 351

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yeo, Jim Tucker's article after Tahs v Reds was mentioned earlier but this is the quote.

For replacement centre Ben Tapuai to step up for the final sideline conversion instead of Quade Cooper was a nod he is heading to the Western Force or Melbourne Rebels next year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
hope that means QC (Quade Cooper) is staying

I always come back to perormance. Is it that important that QC (Quade Cooper) stays??
Sure, when he's on his game he can be awesome but he hasn't been "awesome" in the limited games he has played for a year or 2.

The purported money he is on should mean very high quality of play week in and week out.. He doesn't provide that.

Sure, we need a quality 10. and we need to find one or persevere with McIntyre who has the makings of being a quality player.

Horwill and Genia going releases a large slice of the Cap. We've kept Gilly (at the Reds total expense) and that was fantastic.

Looking forwad to Pickle being the starting 9 - he will ignite the backline moreso than Genia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The purported money he is on should mean very high quality of play week in and week out.. He doesn't provide that.

Sure, we need a quality 10. and we need to find one or persevere with McIntyre who has the makings of being a quality player.

You keep coming back to this point of suggesting that the amount you pay someone should then deliver a performance relative to that each week.

You pay a certain amount to acquire or retain a player's services. Largely this will be based on their prior performance because that is what tells the rest of the market what someone is worth.

Paying someone more doesn't make them less likely to get injured or really alter anything whatsoever. If you offer QC (Quade Cooper) more or less money for the next season you shouldn't expect his performance to change based on that.

If McIntyre develops into a quality Super Rugby 10 the Reds will need to pay him a large amount to retain his services at that point.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You keep coming back to this point of suggesting that the amount you pay someone should then deliver a performance relative to that each week.

You pay a certain amount to acquire or retain a player's services. Largely this will be based on their prior performance because that is what tells the rest of the market what someone is worth.

Paying someone more doesn't make them less likely to get injured or really alter anything whatsoever. If you offer QC (Quade Cooper) more or less money for the next season you shouldn't expect his performance to change based on that.

If McIntyre develops into a quality Super Rugby 10 the Reds will need to pay him a large amount to retain his services at that point.

The best players get the best money FFS.

A part of that is they bring their talents week in and week out

any other premise is ignorant and laughable

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The best players get the best money FFS.

A part of that is they bring their talents week in and week out

any other premise is ignorant and laughable

How is that different for any player at any salary level?

Of course the best players get paid the most money. That is because there is more competition for their services.

I think you've got it back to front though. You keep saying that because you pay someone a lot of money they should play well. I don't really see how that works in reality because if you pay a player a different amount next year there's no logic to expecting their performance to increase or decrease comparably.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
How is that different for any player at any salary level?

Of course the best players get paid the most money. That is because there is more competition for their services.

I think you've got it back to front though. You keep saying that because you pay someone a lot of money they should play well. I don't really see how that works in reality because if you pay a player a different amount next year there's no logic to expecting their performance to increase or decrease comparably.

To me it is clear.

The best players get the best money. ALL players try and play well but some players are JUST more better than others.. Those players should be playing better than a player (who is not as good)

Example; Folau is a great plater and probably the higest paid player in Australia. I expect him to, every week to perform better than say, Moggy or Turner. Nothing to do with effort of Moggy or Turner

T

Train Without a Station

Scrubber that's such a fucked comparison though. It doesn't consider factors beyond the players control?

What do you expect Quade to do? Crash it up in tight, clean out a few c*nts to create quick ball then get back, direct the 5 knuckleheads jogging around him individually where to go, then pick the right one and execute a good pass?

In actually fact, Quade can only do the last 2. Without other people doing the rest he's never going to look good. Neither will any flyhalf regardless of what you pay them.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrubber that's such a fucked comparison though. It doesn't consider factors beyond the players control?

What do you expect Quade to do? Crash it up in tight, clean out a few c*nts to create quick ball then get back, direct the 5 knuckleheads jogging around him individually where to go, then pick the right one and execute a good pass?

In actually fact, Quade can only do the last 2. Without other people doing the rest he's never going to look good. Neither will any flyhalf regardless of what you pay them.

Well then until we get some blokes outside him he is wasted ....

TWAS I thought the comparision in my post was a beauty:)

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well then until we get some blokes outside him he is wasted ..

TWAS I thought the comparision in my post was a beauty:)

Scrubber there are blokes outside him... You can't say that Kerevi hasn't been great - Kuridrani has been strong. The Brand could hardly put 2 games back to back and was out of form, Hunt was quiet - but hardly withdraws from Quade's worth.

He's worth more money because he puts people on seats and that's something Foley and To'omua don't do... Same reason we keep FTS and lose Hanson - arguably the better hooker - is $ counts and he earns it for QRU off the field.

T

Train Without a Station

He's worth more money because he can do things the other can't do.

But until he has a team that can perform consistently around him he will never do all that he can. But if we let him go to get that team, we would not be able to maximize the result from this improved team, so are we better off?

We could spend our money on the best tight five in the world, but if they're dominance cannot be converted to points because the 10 other players aren't good enough, how does it help? A influential 10 though may win you games on the back of a poor performance from others, at worst he will give you the best chance with what you do have.

Status
Not open for further replies.