• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
I bumped into Tim Rapp at the CHS trials and the game is being played late june on a sunday and its badically a sydney 19s v country 20s
Players wont train and will play for there club on the saturday and play again on sunday and players involved in the NSW 20s after january cannot take part.
Clubs are being adked to put forward players names and contact details
The playing sunday date is yet to be decided

News is 21st June with more details to follow

I just put 2+2 together to make 6.:)

I understand that the jungle grapevine (texts and facebook messages and other social media thingys used by the younger folk) has been discussing who is in and who is out, and from what I can gather from acquaintances associated with two clubs, many players are a little sceptical of the benefits of this game and do not want to risk getting injured, or aggravating existing niggles at this stage of the season.

Looking at the Team Lists for this weekend, a lot of clubs are carrying quite a few members in Team Rehab, and with Finals now only 6 weeks away, it has been a long season for young men who are more used to playing only 10 games and a couple of trials each year.

With a bye on Saturday, and being one of the top club teams in both Colts 1 and Colts 2, The Shoremen would be in a good position to provide a fair chunk of representative quality and fresh players for a Sunday game.

Sideline DeadEye would be unavailable for selection on the basis of his previous association with the NSW U20's as per @Tah and Feathered intelligence report above. Perhaps that is why you may have been given the Sergeant Shultz treatment.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
News is only a small chunk < 4 from the Shoremen, due to injuries as well as clash of university exams etc) It was mentioned that those whom participated in Under 20 s this year not in contention. Invitations went out to fill a Sydney side to play Country side. The question remains: Whether this is a Veiwing opportunity for possibles or a good sportsmanship exercise, (so Country have opponents) remains the mystery...

PS HJ who was your great Maths Teacher???

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Great to see a couple on Manly boys made the Sydney U18'sHuge congratulations to Van Stewart and Cyprus Tutunoa for being named in the Sydney U18’s squad to play in the schools championships this year. Both have been regular 2nd Grade players this year despite the fact they are U18. Van has also been named as captain! Their first game is 5pm tonight at Boronia Park Hunters Hills. Well done and good luck Van and Cyprus.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Weather forecast is not looking too good. I suspect that we may have a repeat of Rounds 3 or 7 with more than 1 oval closed by Council.

Hugh's tipping agency is closed for the moment, as it is busy recalibrating the tip-o-meter for the anticipated slop factor. Tips to go up tomorrow.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No need for any recalibration IMO,seems to be a pretty straightforward round.

Uni will beat Easts,the weather will help Easts keem them close.
Manly couldnt even win their lineout in the warm up,so if the Woods kick to the corners all day,this will be the biggest flogging of the day.
Norths have the bye,and we have done the bye jokes to the death....
Wicks are probably fielding what would be their 2nds if all their stars were able to play 1's,but will still beat Wests.
Souths have been pretty consistent all year, apart from Easts,they have beaten everyone they should.They should beat Parra.
And Gordon have the Rats....Nuff said.......

Sydney Rugby tragic

Peter Burge (5)
No need for any recalibration IMO,seems to be a pretty straightforward round.

Uni will beat Easts,the weather will help Easts keem them close.
Manly couldnt even win their lineout in the warm up,so if the Woods kick to the corners all day,this will be the biggest flogging of the day.
Norths have the bye,and we have done the bye jokes to the death..
Wicks are probably fielding what would be their 2nds if all their stars were able to play 1's,but will still beat Wests.
Souths have been pretty consistent all year, apart from Easts,they have beaten everyone they should.They should beat Parra.
And Gordon have the Rats..Nuff said...
Note that Wests haven't won a game or really looked like winning since Sawden moved up to grade . Maybe the 1st colts coach should eat a bit of humble pie & ask him come back

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Match Reports
Eastwood v Manly @ Manly

Colts 1
Eastwood 10 – 41 Souths
A very difficult and frustrating day at the office for players and officials.
Not sure whether it was the poor sleep the previous night or something we all ate.
Our opposition took every opportunity and were successful in taking any advantage to the limit.
We as a team didn't or couldn't get out of 1st gear. It wasn't as if we didn't give ourselves the chance. It was one of those days!
Positives from the match were that our scrum went well and at times our blowing out past the ball went well. Areas to work on during the week include our breakdown work and defence particularly getting off the line with urgency need to be looked at.
Other results over the weekend have made for an intriguing couple of weeks ahead. A bottleneck is developing in places 3 through to 9 on the ladder. The next four weeks of matches are going to mean a tough run home for all teams concerned. This week's match away against Manly will be an interesting tussle.
Best and Fairest Points
3 - James Day 2 - Mark Quadrio 1 - Ed Craig
Players Player Liam Northridge

Colts 2
Eastwood 24 - 32 Souths
For the second week running Colts 2 managed to score 4 try’s and 24 game points in total, yet fell short to take the 5 points.
Colts 2 changes from the team that previously faced Souths only 2 rounds ago totalled 6, including the loss of Nick Reid (who we hope to see back by the final rounds). Nick’s contribution to set pieces, in particular line outs was sorely missed as 2nds struggled to execute the basics. Furthermore, at times poor passing and handling provided Souths with all the ball they needed to take the points.
Well done to Tom Graham who stepped up to take the #10 position and for the effort of Sam McCaffrey whose elusive running was a game highlight.
Tries: Jordan Gillespie, Thomas Koodrin, Nareg Nazarian, Zack Herron
Conversions: Tom Graham (2)
B&F Points 3 Sam McCaffrey 2 Zac Herron 1 Zack Simpson
Players player: Sam McCaffrey

Colts 3
Eastwood 23 – 17 Souths
A great win, which has been a long time coming.
Again, we got off to a poor start despite South’s kicking it out on the full. From the ensuing scrum a move went wrong and after some scrum penalties we found ourselves defending our line with South’s eventually scoring. Every week the same pattern happens.
We hit back quickly with a great try near the posts to Denzel Singleton in his first outing at fly-half. But with no kicking tee and some scissors paper rock to determine who was kicking, the drop kick missed - this really happened but will never happen again!
Ahead 20 to 12 with about 7mins on the clock we had our best defensive effort all year, holding South’s out until 2 minutes from full time. From the deep kick off we received a penalty which Liam Peters converted for a final score of 23-17.
Well done lads. Let’s make it two in a row next week.
Daniel Ryan 3, Kevin Li 2, Denzel Singleton 1.
Players player - Mitch Caldwell

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Colts Preview

Eastwood v Manly

Last time we met in Rd 9:
  • Eastwood Colts 1 Won 39 – 21
  • Eastwood Colts 2 Won 36 – 12
  • Eastwood Colts 3 Lost 21 – 28

Colts

Eastwood Colts 1 - 8th Place

The loss to Southern Districts has put a serve dent in Colts 1 campaign and sees them drop further down the ladder. Although they are only five points behind 5th they will need to start putting wins together as further losses will put them in danger of missing the finals for the second year in a row.

The task against Manly will not be an easy one although Eastwood won 39 – 21 in Round 9. Their win one loose one trend would suggest a win is on the cards this round, but the game is not won by mathematical patterns.

A game that should be made more intense by the need for both teams to win. The added incentive is 6th placed Easts are up against 2nd placed University. The winner of the Manly and Eastwood game could leap frog Eastern Suburbs. Every loss from here on in is making it difficult to make the finals and a win this Saturday is critical to keeping those chances alive.

Colts 2 - 7th Place

Although Colts 2 lost to Southern Districts they hang onto 7th place just two points out of the six. The competition for the finals remains intense and every point is vital for five teams trying to get the last two places.

Manly have not had a very successful season so far and are sitting in 11th place with just the two wins.

Colts 2 won their last match up and will want to make it two from two. The end of the season is rapidly approaching and wins are vital from here on in with any loss adding to the pressure of making the finals.

Colts 3 - 6th Place

Eastwood picked up their first win in five rounds. They are on equal points with 5th placed Southern Districts and 7th placed West Harbour. The stakes remain high and the game is no less important this Saturday against Manly who beat Eastwood 28 – 21 back in Round 9.

Since then Manly have lost their three matches and are sitting in 10th place. Can Eastwood repeat the success they had reversing the tables on Souths by taking the points from Manly? A back to back win is very possible and is the game Eastwood needs to win to stay in the race for the finals.

Manly loss 21 – 26 to Parramatta, who are just two points behind us. They play Souths this Saturday in what will be a must win game for both sides.

West Harbour have a tough assignment taking on competition leaders Randwick in what is a interesting round of rugby for Colts 3 this Saturday.

The Grass Cutter

Frank Row (1)
The University of Sydney is currently running its end of semester exams, for which some papers are sat on Saturdays. A handful of boys will be missing games tomorrow to sit papers; however, players for Uni have been granted exemption to re-sit at a later time. I know of at least one player from another club who made the same application and was rejected, whilst another had to have his coach (somewhat "mendaciously" shall we say) say that his player was receiving wages (i.e. under contract) in order to be granted this exemption.

I know that a number of the Uni players who received the exemption are in the Elite Athlete Program, which they consider a reasonable pre-existing commitment to receive a postponed examination.

I'm not trying to "shit-stir", I'm just curious as to what people think of this.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think it's fine for players to be allowed to reschedule their exams.
I'm certain that for any player denied this privilege, it was on the basis of their submission & not on which club they were representing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep. A taxpayer funded advantage to the Uni Rugby Club.
All other clubs generate their own advantages at their own expense.
C'mon.
Go and have a walk around the campus.
The lecturers/tutors couldn't give 2 fucks about Rugby.
It's about the process,and the Uni club know what their players need to do to get what they want.
If they as a club are pro active,and other clubs are not,who should you blame?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
I'm not trying to "shit-stir", I'm just curious as to what people think of this.
I'm thinking WTF are Universities doing having exams on the weekend?

@Formerflanker, is there any taxpayer funder advantage granted to Randwick, sponsored by UNSW, or Gordon sponsored by UTS.

What about the taxpayer funds that are plowed into the NRC? Nearly all of the NRC teams are associated with a publicly funded University.

What little I know of the operations of Sydney University Academics, they are like a seagull onto a chip at Bondi Beach if there is any hint inappropriate use for public funds. Remember the brouhaha over the possibility that 6 of their 50000 undergraduate students may have gained entry to the university through Scots College students undertaking an approved course of study, Diploma of University Readiness or some such name which is advertised at a cost of $11000.

The Corporation get comparative advantage by actively engaging with and tapping into their Alumni.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Can I just point something out here has anyone actually confirmed that SUFC have done anything to affect this situation?

If they are part of the Elite Athlete Program it's a part of the program that Sydney University offer every year of which they agree to assist not knowing that potentially three or four months later when exams are decided they may need to help arrange the re scheduling of some members exams.

Other university's have exactly the same program's and could have exactly the same implications for students who aren't apart of the program Sydney Uni have.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
@Formerflanker, is there any taxpayer funder advantage granted to Randwick, sponsored by UNSW, or Gordon sponsored by UTS.

What about the taxpayer funds that are plowed into the NRC? Nearly all of the NRC teams are associated with a publicly funded University.

You have a good point about the sponsorships. My main concern is the Commonwealth supported places at Sydney Uni allocated to rugby players, especially those who enter under an elite athlete additional ATAR policy.
I see this as taxpayers paying for rugby players to attend Sydney Uni and play for them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Every university allocates additional ATAR points to elite athletes.

There are plenty of students at Sydney Univeristy, even some in the residential colleges, that play rugby for clubs other than Uni, and some of these would have secured their place at Sydney University by applying for additional ATAR point concession.

Elite hockey players, gymnasts, Track and Field athletes, rowers, Mungoballers, sailors, fencers, swimmers and many others also gain this same so called taxpayer subsidy if they apply to the University. Same at ACU, UNSW UTS, UWS, UNE and Wollongong Uni and I think CSU.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last week was my worst round of tipping so far, only getting only two right. Well done to the Beasties who once again performed against my tips.

Round 13 Tips
Sydney University v Eastern Suburbs. Surely the Beasties won't prove me wrong AGAIN. In the slop that will be the Woollahra back ovals, they may just do that. After getting thrashed by Randiwix last week, The Corporation has a thing or two to prove and they should win comfortable by 20+.

Manly v Eastwood. Didn't the MMM's capitulation to the M2B last week make a fool out of my tipping credentials? Tough gig to pick as both combatants have been inconsistent recently. The Woodies piggies will enjoy the slop and may just take the game by the scruff of its neck. Tossing a coin and tipping the MMM in a close one.

Northern Suburbs v The Bye. A gift to the Shoremen.

Gordon v Warringah. A gift to the Highlanders by 40+.

Randwick v West Harbour. The Gallopers will gallop past the Pirates and the Kicking Tee runner will be among the busiest on the field. Randi-Wix by 35+.

Southern Districts v Parramatta. While the M2B are on the rise, The Hobbits at home in the slop, will be able to survive the onslaught from the M2B who will score first and lead at half time. Hobbits by 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.