• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The scheduling for this week was never great. It was a nice idea, but needed to be played either right at the start of the season or right at the end.

Clubs at the moment want to focus on keeping players fit and healthy, rehabbing the ones that are not, and just having a week off to rest and recouperate. A 'festival of rugby' is just not on the agenda.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah that's a bit of a dick move. We're already booked in to replay Merrylands in First Grade.

Didn’t that Merrylands game already happen over the long weekend?

Festival of Rugby is a good concept but realistically who really wants that kind of tournament mid season?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, looking at the weather, there are going to be more games called off this weekend out this way I reckon.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We WERE going to host Canterbury, but of course its pissing rain so Hills Council are unlikely to open Francesco Oval.

Fortunately for our already washed out games, Canterbury have a swamp that never closes, so we're off to Wills Ground this weekend with barely enough numbers for three teams, to take on the club that slayed the giant.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Numbers are a big issue for us at the moment. We struggle to field four teams at the best of times, and of course we are now hit by injuries and holidays.

Desperately hitting the phones to find players, mates, anyone. All too common at our club, really getting sick of it.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting development as many clubs would have advised players from the start of the season that this was a scheduled week off. As recently as a week ago subbies communicated it is not a wet weather round aand no subbies rugby will be on. Players have booked weekends away/made other plans. Get ready for fireworks should they now look to make clubs play.

Exactly, quality work from subbies on this one. How many forfeits down the grades because of this one next weekend....

mous

Frank Nicholson (4)
Code:
Wet Weather Info: Sat 20 June

As of 5pm Fri, the following wet weather changes are confirmed:

Div 1:
Petersham v Mosman - POSTPONED
St Pats v Colleagues - POSTPONED (Colts MAY be on. TBC.)
Old Ignatians v Brothers - 4ths & Colts POSTPONED. Following grades are ON - 1sts (3.15pm), 2nds (2pm), 3rds (12.55pm)
Knox v Drummoyne - 1sts MOVED to Taplin Park, Drummoyne, 3.15pm. All other grades - POSTPONED

Div 2:
Blue Mtns v Hunters Hill - POSTPONED
Hills v Newport - POSTPONED
Barker OB's v UNSW - POSTPONED

Div 3:
St Ives v Oatley - POSTPONED
King's OB's v Epping - MOVED to Somerville Oval, Blaxland Rd, Epping

Div 4:
Macquarie Uni v Sydney Harlequins - POSTPONED
Convicts v Briars - POSTPONED

Div 6:
Lane Cove v Roseville - POSTPONED
Clovelly v Menai - POSTPONED
Collaroy v Chatswood - POSTPONED

Halligan Cup:
Lane Cove Colts v Gordon Colts - POSTPONED

Women's Rugby:
Campbelltown v Parramatta B - POSTPONED

Stacks of games called off for the weekend as sighted on the NSW Subbies site.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy played Third Grade today (we lost by a lot to zip) against Canterbury. Made a tackle or two, threw some lineouts to perfection. Got a knee to the head in friendly fire, and pushed hard at the scrum despite having moulds on and being little traction.

Went down in the other two grades as well. And I see Subbies have changed the rule about changed venue resulting in a corresponding swap on the return game. Fuck it

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^ What's this shit talking about yourself in the third person? Very Greg Norman-esque.

Hazza69

Frank Row (1)
Pfitzy played Third Grade today (we lost by a lot to zip) against Canterbury. Made a tackle or two, threw some lineouts to perfection. Got a knee to the head in friendly fire, and pushed hard at the scrum despite having moulds on and being little traction.

Went down in the other two grades as well. And I see Subbies have changed the rule about changed venue resulting in a corresponding swap on the return game. Fuck it

Haha.

Our swamp is better than Francesco Reserve even when it's dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I won't argue with that. Francesco has more angle on it than the tower of Pisa. And I'll bet we lose more balls in our shitty little creek than you do in the river.

If we owned our ground it would be in a better location, and have far better facilities, than the shitpile that is Francesco Oval. I had a running battle for 12 months with Hills Council about how fucking useless they were with ground management - even simple things as mowing it too short in winter - and they wouldn't fucking listen.

But that's the difference: one club has had 50 years to build on that, and one has had 8, and is subject to Hills Council who want to suck soccer's bag whenever the opportunity presents itself, while bending over for AFL.

Gotta say that $70K spent on drainage at Wills Ground was well worth it for most of the pitch (little bit heavy on the southeastern side).

But it is an utter prick to travel to, and that's why I hate that change in the competition rules. We've effectively given up a home advantage already, and travelling to games an hour away will be a killer in the last round, when we could be looking at finals spots*

* Caveat: that would require everyone I name in a fucking team to turn up, instead of having to reshuffle everything four times on the morning of the game, before doing it again before kickoff, while I'm out there trying to play Third grade and run the flag.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, it might just be my poor memory, but a few years back, I was of the understanding that it worked like this:

1) Team A has a home game against Team B
2) Team A's ground is closed for their home fixture, so game is moved to Team B's ground
3) The return fixture, if applicable, is played at Team A's ground
4) In the event that both grounds are closed, if the game is played at another venue, then there is no obligation to swap back.

However, that was my understanding of the rule from our Secretary back a few years (2009? 2010?). It came up in a situation where we were playing Mac Uni at our home ground, but both our grounds were closed. We played at a ground near Mac Uni, which they found, but as a result they didn't have to swap back.

My recollection of the Subbies ops manua may be hazy though.l

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Was that ever a written rule? I thought it was always one of those gentleman's agreement-type things where you'd just all try and be good blokes to one another.

Kudos to Epping this week, who hosted this week's game after Kings was shut and also let us run the BBQ. We have only had one home game so far this season thanks to the weather, so that was a much needed little boost for the club!

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes I dont think that was ever a written rule. My view was you always hoped like hell your home game was never a washout and if it was then you crossed your fingers that the oppositions field was also closed.

I recall hearing Newport used to turnover anywhere between $8-10k a home game so wet weather weekends can be costly.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Kudos to Epping this week, who hosted this week's game after Kings was shut and also let us run the BBQ. We have only had one home game so far this season thanks to the weather, so that was a much needed little boost for the club!

Mate, we are always happy to help out other clubs where we can. I believe that you have to show an understanding of what other clubs are going through when this stuff happens.

We just hope that if we are ever in the situation that you guys were in, that our opposition would be able to assist us in the same way.

Congrats on your wins in the two lower grades. I didn't see fourth grade, but third grade was a tough battle and we made a few mistakes that your boys capitalised on, which was the difference in the end. A good solid tussle that (hopefully) doesn't knock us out of semi final contention.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I’m hearing rumours that Wednesday night games will be used in Division 4 to help clear the fixture backlog as well as using this designated bye week to fulfill all of last weeks fixtures! Expect some lopsided games as holidays/work/other halves get in the way of teams fielding full strength teams

Status
Not open for further replies.