• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john mcgomery

Yes, chump. As much as either of the other two options - he , Higgers and McCalman bring different things, but it's very hard to split them easily.

McCalman and higgers are just as strong or even better ball carriers than Palu but also offer a solid line out option. If you want a strong ball carrying number 8 you go with vaea- hands down best 8 in the country just too inexperienced

T

Train Without a Station

What's with the overuse of the term "champ"? You ain't @thegradecricketer and this ain't Twitter bud.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does anyone know who is replacing Dean Benton as S&C after his contract expires in 4 days? 2nd most important job this year.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'm posting this again because it got lost in the john mcgomery meltdown

Instead of the optimum 23 for the RWC, which I don't think will be settled until post RC, I'm going for a 31-man squad, picking two of every position +1, either a hooker or halfback.

So.

1/ Slipper, Sio
2/ Moore, TPN
3/ Kepu, Holmes
4/ Simmons, Dennis
5/ Skelton, Horwill
6/ Fardy, Higgers
7/ Pocock, Hooper
8/ Palu, McCalman
9/ Phipps, Genia
10/ Foley, Cooper
11/ Horne, Tomane
12/ To'omua, Lealiifano
13/ Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14/ Speight, JOC (James O'Connor)
15/ Folau, Beale

31/ Giteau

So Gits is the reserve rserve halfback and backup 10/12. Think Dennis will sneak in due to leadership, experience, solidness and Cheika. No real bolters and I don't think there will be, unless there's injuries during the RC. Obviously Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) will grind at some people due to lack of form etc, but realistically, they'll be in the 31.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is no way Horwill gets picked over Jones. The squad won't be picked on a basis of a backup for every 15 player too. For instance many players are versatile in the backline, you've got too many outside backs and not enough hookers. Also 5 props will be a minimum given 4 are required every match.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
No need to torpedo my squad with logic, but you're right.

Guess Tomane/Speight are fighting it out for a spot, and Lealiifano will be very unlucky to miss out, but I think Gits will be picked.

Alexander in for the fifth prop spot due to his ability to play both sides (against Uruguay and Fiji), and probably Fainga'a as third hooker due to his EOYT performance.

Despite their form I still think Horwill, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale will be on the plane.

I assume the team to play the USA in Chicago will be picked from the RWC squad?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If you say Palu should be first picked then your a "one-eyed waratahs" supporter.

And If you say Beale shouldn't be picked then your another unjustified "waratah basher".

What a load of crap. The overly defensive Tah supporters and the overly critical Tah bashing has got to stop.

Does anyone really say that about Beale? Even Beale fans say his form doesn't warrant his selection.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What's the best position for Tomane? Left or right?

The best Tomane's game in a Wallaby jersey was against the Pumas in Rosario, TRC 2013:

That was before the 2013 spring tour. The last games of 2013 were the best performances of Australia in recent years. My hopes of winning the WC is to regain that level.

The starting XV that night:

15 Folau
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13 Kuridrani
12 Lilo
11 Tomane
10 QC (Quade Cooper)
9 Genia
8 Mowen
7 Hooper
6 Fardy
5 Horwill
4 Simmons
3 Ben Alexander :D:D:D
2 Moore
1 Slipper

16 Saia Fainga'a
17 Benn Robinson
18 Sekope Kepu
19 Sitaleki Timani
20 Ben McCalman
21 Nic White
22 Matt To'omua
23 Bernard Foley

Ben Alexander as starter THP, are those inexplicable things like in the last victory against ABs, Anthony Fainga'a was a starter :p

Status
Not open for further replies.