• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I specifically queried Gow Gates on this - albeit a few years ago now. Their advice was that even if the club hasn't played the insurance premium, the player was covered under the ARU blanket cover so that people weren't disadvantaged if their club had not paid its insurance for some reason (so long as they were registered). I am not aware of that ever being tested in court though.

But I figure that is probably accurate or you would imagine the ARU would require every club to demonstrate their insurance had been paid.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The thing that made me laugh was that on the QRU info I got sent, each club will receive $5 for each player registered. Is that just to make us complicit in the sting? Is $5 to cover the strapping/jerseys/fuel money. Falls a fair way short.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
The thing that made me laugh was that on the QRU info I got sent, each club will receive $5 for each player registered. Is that just to make us complicit in the sting? Is $5 to cover the strapping/jerseys/fuel money. Falls a fair way short.
I think it is about making clubs seem complicit.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just got an email from the ARU and thought some of the stats were interesting.

Some key data from the 2014 Annual Participation Census includes:
  • Overall there were 687,488 participants nationally in 2014 compared to 615,153 in 2013, an increase of 11.8% or 72,335 participants.
  • 241,577 participants were involved in 'competitions and non-competition programs' (>5 games/structured sessions), an increase of 4.7%.
  • 16% increase in the number of 'promotional and occasional' participants (<5 games/structured sessions).
  • 13,488 Women's Sevens Rugby players in 2014, an increase of 66%.

T

TOCC

ARU posted $5.5million loss for 2014 from $105million revenue, included was $3.3million assistance to the Rebels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can this somehow be merged into the "Pulverisation" thread started by the dutifully outraged ?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Renewed my Wallabies 1st membership today and noticed that they are replying some of last year's games it seems:
Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 16.20.17.png

Have they worked out a way to save on updating the site: only do it every few years?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
So the brains trust have organised the Wallaby fan day for the 6th of August. This is a Thursday. Why am I not surprised. Are they aware that their target audience will be at school? Or are they really that stupid? Fucking muppets.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So the brains trust have organised the Wallaby fan day for the 6th of August. This is a Thursday. Why am I not surprised. Are they aware that their target audience will be at school? Or are they really that stupid? Fucking muppets.
Have a moan and a whinge.

Poor little poppets. School finishes at three. The cheap merchandise giveaways finish at six.

The team is playing Bled I on Saturday the 8th with a one week turnaround to Bled II so they aint going to be available on the weekend.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Firstly,private Schools don't finish at 3pm.
Secondly, it's over an hour trip to get to Darling Harbour for close to 90% of School kids in Sydney.
Thirdly,most School kids have other obligations immediately after School on most days.
Fourthly,the Brisbane event is 6 days before the Test match.
Why can't they do the same for Sydney?

Not moaning or whinging,just saying if the targeted audience is junior Rugby players,they have fucked up deluxe.
If it isn't,then some of their planned activities seem a little puerile.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe a sense of self-entitlement has overtaken former rugby men.

It's over an hour trip to get to Darling Harbour for close to 90% of School kids in Sydney.
And a half day trip for 100% of school kids in Perth (likewise I just plucked that number out of thin air). Are people in WA—or ACT—complaining that they can't get a photo with Michael Hooper?

Fourthly,the Brisbane event is 6 days before the Test match.
Why can't they do the same for Sydney?
The accomodation, etc., has to be met to assemble the team. That's why these things are on in the game week leading up to a match or when there's a scheduled training camp.

So they pay to get the team together early, and the players give up their one free weekend in a block of five following a long trip to South America, to do what ... sign a poster for you?

Meh. It's a free event. Give the primary school kids (and state school kids) a go on the Thursday.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
ouch,self entitled and a so called rugby man?
I get you don't understand the point about conducting an event when your target market is obviously otherwise engaged,but it's still relevant.

You haven't noticed Wallabies are professional players and their job is reliant on working every weekend? They get days off midweek.
they could also have had it on the weekend before they fly to the states as an alternative.

They have clearly put some time and effort into organising what would be a great day if held on a weekend.
Frustrating.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I get you don't understand the point about conducting an event when your target market is obviously otherwise engaged,but it's still relevant.
It's part of the "Bledisloe Cup Festival".

The purpose is the lead-in promo for the Bled I match – Thursday, Friday and Saturday (same as last year) which includes business lunch + racing, golf and fans' day – to drum up interest and publicity, give away ticket prizes to the match, etc., right before the game. The "weekend before they fly to the states" palaver won't work for that when the show has already left town.

You haven't noticed Wallabies are professional players and their job is reliant on working every weekend? They get days off midweek.
they could also have had it on the weekend before they fly to the states as an alternative.
The players' job is to play good rugby.

That's not reliant on working every weekend; the opposite is the case. They'll need a few weekends off with their own families instead of signing autographs for yours.

Over the next four months, the players probably only get three weekends at home. Some might get four.

And they'll be doing another "meet and greet" on the way out the door for the States – but that departure is not on a weekend.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It's part of the "Bledisloe Cup Festival".

The purpose is the lead-in promo for the Bled I match – Thursday, Friday and Saturday (same as last year) which includes business lunch + racing, golf and fans' day – to drum up interest and publicity, give away ticket prizes to the match, etc., right before the game. The "weekend before they fly to the states" palaver won't work for that when the show has already left town.

The players' job is to play good rugby.

That's not reliant on working every weekend; the opposite is the case. They'll need a few weekends off with their own families instead of signing autographs for yours.

Over the next four months, the players probably only get three weekends at home. Some might get four.

And they'll be doing another "meet and greet" on the way out the door for the States – but that departure is not on a weekend.

I love this : The players' job is to play good rugby - yeah, and its mine to watch....on TV as I am too busy to put myself out to got to games that pay the wage of under performing Wallaby players.

I have seen all this banter before. ARU is doing this, players are doing that, the words self entitled and doing enough, too bad if its a Thursday, sorry but they players that we employ and pay more than most in society will ever earn are unavailable.........

In the mean time if we all just want to to a little thread hopping it seems we cant do enough. The dollars are dwindling, we are struggling with participation numbers, fee's are out of control, the ratings are declining.....how much did the ARU lose last FY?

I don't get the benefit of playing in or even winning a WC (if we are that lucky) if no one is watching and the kiddies all off at NRL or AFL training?

Its a once in a four year sacrifice. FFS we are talking about working long weeks for four months to live your dream. Lets compare this to the real word, say I want to join the army - well its 80 days solid basic training away from home for what 60k if your lucky?

All good though, its not like putting yourself out for fans or supporters will make any difference right? Just like me not opening up my business on weekends so I spend time with family wont hurt my business. Its not like we pay their wage right?

I fear the day that we discover that the rusted-on were just ballast on the sinking ship.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People are making it sound like an event on a Thursday at Darling Harbour will attract zero people.

Of course the time will be inconvenient for some but lots of people will still attend.

This is also part of the Bledisloe Cup Festival which runs from 5-8 August so it ties in with that.