• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Had a go at selecting likely NRC Squads excluding injured players and players likely to be in the Wallabies.

Queensland Country Squad
Props: AJ Campbell (Easts), Haydn Hirsimaki (Sunnybank), Greg Holmes (Reds), Sione Na'a Helu (Wests), Taniela Tupou (Brothers).
Hookers: Ryan Freney (GPS), Mick Lee (Wests), Alex Mafi (Bond University).
Locks: Cameron Bracewell (Bond University), Brendan Mitchell (Sunnybank), Sam Fattal (Bond University), Rubin Fuimaono (Bond University), Ed O'Donaghue (Wests), Phil Potgeiter (University of Queensland).
Back Row: Criff Tupou (Brothers), Ed Quirk (Easts), Lolo Fakasilea (Sunnybank), Josh Fuimaono (Bond University), Beau Robinson (Reds), James Turner (Souths).
Halfbacks: Scott Gale (Reds), James Tuttle (GPS).
Flyhalves: Sam Greene (Brothers), Matt Brandon (Easts).
Centres: Anthony Fainga’a (Reds), Matt Gordon (Easts), Clynton Knox (Brothers), Campbell Magnay (Reds), Stephan Van Der Walt (Souths)
Outside Backs: Andrew Muirhead (Souths), Pierce Fitzgerald (Brothers), Sam Cox (Bond University), Tom Pincus (University of Queensland), Jamie-Jerry Taulagi (Reds), Elliott Hagen (Easts).

Brisbane City Squad
Props: Sef Faagase (University of Queensland), David Feao (Souths), Reuben Leiua (University of Queensland), Pettowa Paraka (Easts), Sam Talakai (Reds).
Hookers: Maile Ngauamo (Souths), Matthew Mafi (Brothers), Andrew Ready (Easts).
Locks: Dan Gorman(GPS), Marco Kotze (Reds), Dave McDuling (Reds), Sam Rochester (Sunnybank), Ben Hyne (Brothers).
Back Row: Jack Cornelson (University of Queensland), Michael Gunn (Easts), Adam Korczyk (Reds), Chazz Mahina (Sunnybank), Jake Schatz (Reds), Liam Gill (Reds).
Scrumhalf: Nick Frisby (Reds), Tim Smith (Wests), Jack Mullins (Easts).
Flyhalf: Duncan Paiaua (Reds), Jake McIntyre (Sunnybank).
Centres: Samu Kerevi (Reds), Ben Tapuai (Reds), Toby White (Easts) Tyrone Lefau (Wests).
Outside backs: Mika Tela (Souths), Chris Kurindrani (GPS), Junior Laloifi (Sunnybank), Harry Parker (University of Queensland), Mitch Felsman (Brothers), Lachie Turner (Reds), Karmichael Hunt (Reds).

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Do they have criteria for QLD Country (eg: born/raised/plays outside of Brisbane)? Or is it a matter of selecting those "country/coast" players, and then fitting in the best of those who didn't make the City team?

T

Tigers Tale

Red Galloper your teams above just go to show that it will be a difficult task for the selectors to come up with the right mix.

Does the fact that you played for BC or QC (Quade Cooper) last year mean you are in eligible for selection in the other squad this year? - I would think not but I think they need to get some form of player allegiance going.

Is Bne City stacked as the #1 team? I.e are they somewhat selected with the #1 player in a position to BC, #2 to QC (Quade Cooper) , #3 BC, etc.

Or is it selected with rugby origins in mind.

Is it a number of mixed match criteria?

Do Stilesy and Gilly get put in a room at Ballymore and come out 2 days later?

Does a younger/developing player get the nod over an experienced player?

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Im not sure how they do it but they have said that they are going to pick players who have connections to the country areas. I just went off the squads they picked last year and added players from country origins like:
AJ Campbell (Gold Coast), Sione Na'a Helu (Sunshine Coast), Mick Lee (Newcastle), Brendan Mitchell (Sunshine Coast), Phil Potgieter (Toowoomba), Stephan Van Der Walt (Sunshine Coast), Elliott Hagen (Sunshine Coast).
Plus the best players from Bond University and the Tupou brothers because I believe Criff used to work in the mines in central QLD. I possibly should have put Mika Tela and Maile Ngauamo in the Country team as they are Ipswich Grammar boys which is technically a country area.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Im not sure how they do it but they have said that they are going to pick players who have connections to the country areas. I just went off the squads they picked last year and added players from country origins like:
AJ Campbell (Gold Coast), Sione Na'a Helu (Sunshine Coast), Mick Lee (Newcastle), Brendan Mitchell (Sunshine Coast), Phil Potgieter (Toowoomba), Stephan Van Der Walt (Sunshine Coast), Elliott Hagen (Sunshine Coast).
Plus the best players from Bond University and the Tupou brothers because I believe Criff used to work in the mines in central QLD. I possibly should have put Mika Tela and Maile Ngauamo in the Country team as they are Ipswich Grammar boys which is technically a country area.

Was an excellent attempt I reckon. Agree with Nick Dobell above that Veresa should be there.

I also think they will look at ensuring the teams are pretty equal and there may be some players (perhaps more fringe or QLD) who swap teams this year. Duncan P played Country last year, but as you suggest may be City flyhalf this year.

The next question is where the Wallabies play, should they not make the RWC squad. Saia will join his brother in Country.

Is Tom Murday out for a long time?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Veresa Mataitini from Norths deserves an opportunity on the wing in NRC. He has been good when able to get his hands on the ball this year.
He really is the only stand out in a, let's be honest, very poor Norths side.

Imagine what he'd be like on the back of a flying Brothers, Easts or Sunnybank backline.

He's been around the Reds system before, although not for long. Would love to see him get a NRC gig. I think he offers a bit more others who got time last yesr such as Laofili, Beveridge, Parker.

T

Tigers Tale

Who would want to be a selector for the NRC sides?

I just hope Qld Country is more competitive this year - having said that they were hit hard by injuries (Enever, Sanday, etc) and departures(Harris, Placid, etc) last year.

T

Tigers Tale

Red Heavy - is Curtis Browning any chance of pulling on a Uni/Bne jersey this year?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
50/50.

The Students have won the last five games played between the two clubs.
It should be pretty even at this stage, TT.

Brothers are having the annual Old Boys Day celebrations on the weekend. A very large home crowd will get behind the Brethren.

Easts take on Sunnybank this weekend. Is this for the Welsby Cup or is that next week against Bond? Sunnybank always turn up when they're at home, so you might be in for a tough one, TT. However, I still think you'll get the chocolates.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - Welsby Cup is this weekend @ Oldamc: Sunnybank v Easts.

If Uni do the right thing against your lads, and Easts can get the win then the Tigers will leave Oldmac on Saturday with the Welsby Cup and the Minor Premiership.

Rather not get too far ahead of myself making these types of statements because I am sure Brothers have minor premiership aspirations which they will be wanting to keep alive with a win over Uni, and Sunnybank will be wanting to keep Souths at bay.

Easts will first and foremost be looking to secure a further 2 competition points that will assure them of a major semi.

Whilst Souths will be hoping that the Tigers and Filth can be the victors this weekend.

Uni could come into Major Semi calculations with a win this weekend.

So there is a lot to play for this weekend as the stakes get higher.

insider18

Stan Wickham (3)
Gordon (easts) is a country boy too from toowoomba then moved to Ipswich grammar. As well as Hyne (brothers) also a toowoomba boy

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Veresa Mataitini has been a very good club man for Norths. I heard that other clubs have been after him for quite a while now. Furthermore, that his chances of playing NRC were likely if he played for another club. It's promising to see loyal players still at clubs, given the fact that loyalty went out the window once the professional era hit - which is understandable given the money now involved. That's the good thing about QPR - tribalism is still evident in the competition.

T

Tigers Tale

Yeh Filth it was a good crowd maybe not as big as our 2013 battle but I'd say 4000 is on the money - could you imagine how much you would have made at Crosby with a crowd like that.

It's great to see club rugby support like this.

There were lots of Bros supporters there as well.

T

Tigers Tale

Don't know whether there are many of you but any Dragons contributors out there - who do you think will turn out for you this week?

Ben Taps?

Jake Schatz?

Liam Gill?

Greg Holmes?

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
With two rounds to go I'd be interested to hear others suggestions for "Player of the Year" and " Breakthrough Player of the Year"

Brothers Greene and Tupou
Sunnybank R.Tapuai and Third
Wests Smith and the 13
SOUTHS Muirhead and Ngaumo
UQ Parker and Sorovi
Bond Cox and the 12
Norths Mataitini and the 7
Easts Hagen/and Milosevic/ AJ Campbell/Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.