• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Are they like for like though? Deegan seems more like a classic 10 whereas Hodge is more of a 12 isn't he?

What's wrong with Stewart? I think he's one of the better 12s that has come through the Aus Under 20s in the last few years. He was also excellent in the NRC in a poor team.

This is Reece's first year playing 12, as Sam Lane is in 10.
I hear Reece's preferred position is 10.
Stewart - so him play for Uni last year he was goooood, no issues at all with him being picked up.
The point I am again making - injuries in the 19 - 21 year old window can have a huge impact on a players success / development.

T

Train Without a Station

You say - not being much value on the field - the 2 and a half years prior to last year injury kept him off the field. So find that statement a little wrong, last year he was the best lock in the SS, and also behind the locks that one the Super Title, so hard to get game time. Further to that as referenced in other threads bench balance now looks for players that can possibly play lock & 6 in the nature of Dennis / Jones / Jockpot.

Well Manly should have paid his salary, because the team paying his salary weren't getting the value.

The Waratahs have in 2014 and 2015 used a back rower (<195cm & 115kg) at lock. Don't say there wasn't an opportunity. Didn't then end up bringing Mitch Chapman back anyway last year?

I'm not trying to make a slight on Peterson here. I'm trying to look at what the team with $4M to spend across 32 players has to consider.

As for Tilse, well it's all relative. What players did they miss out on the keep Tilse over these years? Possibly Metcher and Talakai for 2015. But don't they both play THP?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well Manly should have paid his salary, because the team paying his salary weren't getting the value.

The Waratahs have in 2014 and 2015 used a back rower (<195cm & 115kg) at lock. Don't say there wasn't an opportunity. Didn't then end up bringing Mitch Chapman back anyway last year?

I'm not trying to make a slight on Peterson here. I'm trying to look at what the team with $4M to spend across 32 players has to consider.

As for Tilse, well it's all relative. What players did they miss out on the keep Tilse over these years? Possibly Metcher and Talakai for 2015. But don't they both play THP?

There wasn't an opportunity.

I have seen the Tahs opt for a Lock in Skelton, and then a player who can play Lock & 6. They haven't opted for a team with 2 pure locks like the Reds in Simmons and Horwill - another topic what is the preferred balance in the forwards.

If our stand alone lock gets injured or suspended it does cause a little issue, as of what we have right now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The point I am again making - injuries in the 19 - 21 year old window can have a huge impact on a players success / development.

Yes it quite clearly can have a huge detrimental impact on a player.

There's not really any way to get around that though. That's the nature of professional sport. If someone else gets that contract whilst you're out injured, another contract might not be available for years to come at that club in that position.

Once a team has decided to invest in a certain player, they're unlikely to go back on that a year later.

T

Train Without a Station

They haven't opted for that out of what they had in front of them.

What they had in front of them made playing a back rower out of position the most palatable option.

Do you think if Peterson was training the house down, Cheika would have said, "Nah fuck it. I'll throw a loosie in there because I want to get towelled up in the scrum and the line out most games"?

At times they played Potgeiter at 6, then chose 2 loose forwards on the bench (1 of which was McCutcheon).

They then brought Chapman into the squad and used him in their last 2 regular season games then their 2 finals.

Now if we were talking about a loose forward, with 4 internationally capped players in the squad come 5, in Potgeiter, Hooper, Palu, Dennis then Hoiles I would agree, there was not opportunity.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Are they like for like though? Deegan seems more like a classic 10 whereas Hodge is more of a 12 isn't he?

What's wrong with Stewart? I think he's one of the better 12s that has come through the Aus Under 20s in the last few years. He was also excellent in the NRC in a poor team.
Both are former Schoolboy 10's.
Pretty sure Deegan has played the majority of his grade games at 15,whilst Hodge was moved to 12 by his club to accomodate Sam Lane.

There is nothing wrong with Stewart, it was more to my point about the obsession with recruiting from the younger cohorts.
There are no other potential recruits younger than him,had there been,things might have been different.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
For what it's worth Dave I think Hodge is a good prospect for the Rays. Got a fine boot on him and a player I can see developing nicely.

Not a bad effort to be starting in an NRC side at 21 which looks like he will.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yes it quite clearly can have a huge detrimental impact on a player.

There's not really any way to get around that though. That's the nature of professional sport. If someone else gets that contract whilst you're out injured, another contract might not be available for years to come at that club in that position.

Once a team has decided to invest in a certain player, they're unlikely to go back on that a year later.

Spot on. World wide the average professional football career is under 4 years. Every year the schools and academies are pumping out talented athletes keen to grab one of the few professional contracts that are on the market.

If you miss the bus once, it can be very difficult to get on the next bus as it is often full.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Thoughts on the home ground change?
I would have preferred they stay at Brookvale but I do like Warringah's ground, it's the perfect size and shape for the team and Manly attract strong crowds. I'm assuming NSO and Chatswood are unavailable.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thoughts on the home ground change?
I would have preferred they stay at Brookvale but I do like Warringah's ground, it's the perfect size and shape for the team and Manly attract strong crowds. I'm assuming NSO and Chatswood are unavailable.

From what I understand, it came down to cost. The playing surface at Rat Park isn't that much different from Brookvale and the facilities are ok, although I'd prefer seats to bare concrete. Manly Oval has a great location for after match revelling and should attract good crowds on Thursday nights and Saturday. I'd prefer everything at a rectangular ground, but it I understand the issue. Hope they put up some covered scaffolding seats on the tennis courts side of the ground for NRC.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Yep I think scaffolding seats are a good idea, will look more profesh on tv too, bit of a shame when most of the crowd are on the tv cameras side.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
From what I understand, it came down to cost. The playing surface at Rat Park isn't that much different from Brookvale and the facilities are ok, although I'd prefer seats to bare concrete. Manly Oval has a great location for after match revelling and should attract good crowds on Thursday nights and Saturday. I'd prefer everything at a rectangular ground, but it I understand the issue. Hope they put up some covered scaffolding seats on the tennis courts side of the ground for NRC.

Do i recall a scaffold stand with roof on the Wimbledon side back in the late 90's

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
Only 4 rounds of the shute shield left to play , The Rays must be getting close to naming there squad for this season.
With Norths and Gordon having better seasons this year will the bulk of players still come from the Rats & Marlins???

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Only 4 rounds of the shute shield left to play , The Rays must be getting close to naming there squad for this season.
With Norths and Gordon having better seasons this year will the bulk of players still come from the Rats & Marlins???

I hope it is based on form this year and not ensuring all clubs have a quota of players. Last year I think the quota rule had an involvement, this year i hope it is form!! - But as you are saying Nths & Gordon have stepped up this year as well but we need to look at player on player, and game plan.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
As mentioned before Norths have a large amount of the club's best players involved with the country side. Two of Gordon's likely squad members in Matthews and Preston are not available now by the looks of it.

Fraser, Rorke, Johnson, Dempsey, Gukibau will be considered. Potentially McDougall, Simkin & Rissman as well but less likely.

I expect the majority to come from Manly and Warringah.

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
Also heard that a Manly front rower has signed with the Counrty Eagles and he chasing another manly player as well . The eagles coach was at NSO when Norths v Manly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Do i recall a scaffold stand with roof on the Wimbledon side back in the late 90's

Yes, when the old stand was condemned and demolished and during construction of the current flying saucer, there were two scaffolding stands on the tennis courts side. Two seasons IIRC 1997/98?

Status
Not open for further replies.