• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
My dad phoned this morning. He has a burl but he's not sure how good it will be for what we want.
Firstly, it's not as big as we'd hoped. My great uncle uses them to make coffee tables and the like so he only really has huge ones. The only smallish one he had is about ~400mm dia and roughly circular. The next size up was way to big.
He said there are more little holes etc in it than he was hoping but said it would still come up nice. He was hoping to get a tighter one.
I'm trying to get dad to take a photo of it to send to me but he said it was pretty awkward to get into the van and would probably need a hand to get it back out to take a pic. He will try but.
Lastly and probably the biggest hurdle is that him and mum are going to head out to Birdsville for a look around before heading back so won't be back for a couple of weeks.

So it's ours if we want it but no dramas if we go with something else. Dad said he will make something out of it if we don't want it.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If you slice up one of the big burls, can you get a few different useful diameters? e.g.

f4BTqpu.jpg

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah you could Kiap but dad was just stopping in so sort of had to just get whatever my great uncle could spare.
If my Dad ends up sending us a photo of it we'll have a better idea.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
So I'm having the oval spirit of rugby sheild proposal being cad'd up right now. it'll be a shit ton easier than the natural edge stuff as far as I'm aware and will be less prone to breaking.

Should have it done soonish.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Have put out the feelers and will be getting quotes back this week.

What would be nice since we have the writing on the front is what people want written there?

In the mock up just to fill in the space I had:

"This shield will be competed for in perpetuity to demonstrate the spirit of rugby. The rugby community goes beyond the team you play for but the spirit is shown through friendly competition"

"Donated to the Australian Rugby Union by the rugby community, so that National Rugby Championship Teams could have a perpetual trophy to compete for in a challenge style competition."

Feel free to have a go at what should be put there on each side. and remember that it will be cast in bronze forever.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Been following this thread - with no contribution - love the idea and work guys. This is what Australian Rugby is all about - well done.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Just to let you guys know that the timber I'm pursuing on advise from the trophy makers (so not guaranteed, just what would be nice) is Australian blackwood. Its a part of the wattle family and when quarter cut seems to have a very nice figure to it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
With regard to the words, would anyone have a link to Rupert McCall or someone similar? I'm a massive fan of Rupert's and I'm sure given a brief, he could pen something eloquent that sums up what we are trying to achieve.

His way with words and his love of Rugby is exactly what we want.

I should also add that there's nothing wrong with what you have written RF!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He is.

@rupertmccall

Is there an ettiquitte to contacting celebs for this type of thing? I can do it if there's no one more experienced in such matters.

I was sort of thinking that someone on here may be related or mates with him etc but I'm not fussy with how we would do it.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
No luck yet finding rupert mccall, but saw this and got inspired.

On one side:
"This Shield was donated in 2015 to the Australian Rugby Union to demonstrate the spirit of rugby, celebrate the National Rugby
Championship and inspire teams to always battle on."

and on the other

"May we all be the greatest of enemies on the field but the strongest of brothers off it.

For the spirit of Rugby."

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
No luck yet finding rupert mccall, but saw this and got inspired.

On one side:
"This Shield was donated in 2015 to the Australian Rugby Union to demonstrate the spirit of rugby, celebrate the National Rugby
Championship and inspire teams to always battle on."

and on the other

"May we all be the greatest of enemies on the field but the strongest of brothers off it.

For the spirit of Rugby."

Anyone else have any suggestions?
That would do me. Job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.