• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wrong. We did NOT get the Showground for use. There was much discussion about the move to the Hills and without boring people half to death with it, the commitment that Hills Council wanted was something the Two Blues were not in a position to fund.

Hills Council are the biggest pack of wankers when it comes to sports ground management. I had run-ins with the silly bint in charge over even simple things like mowing the grass too short.

Fuck those guys - they're not interested in supporting clubs, just lining their own pockets, and they shit their pants at the slightest chance of rain.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My understanding is the finals series will be the following format:
Week 1: 1 vs 6, 2 vs 5, 3 vs 4
Week 2: Top Ranked Winner vs Highest Ranked Loser, 2nd Ranked Winner vs 3rd Ranked Winner
Week 3: Grand Final - Winners of Week 2 games.

On that basis then, using the round 14 ladder we have:
Manly vs Sydney University, Eastwood vs Randwick, and Southern Districts vs Warringah in Week 1 of the Finals.

The Run home:
Manly - Currently 60 points. Northern Suburbs (H), Warringah (A), Gordon (A), Randwick (H)
Eastwood - Currently 59 points. West Harbour (A), Eastern Suburbs (H), Randwick (A), Warringah (H)
Southern Districts - Currently 46 points. Sydney University (A), Randwick (A), Penrith (H), West Harbour (A)
Warringah - Currently 46 points. Penrith (A), Manly (H), Sydney University (H), Eastwood (H)
Randwick - Currently 43 points, Eastern Suburbs (A), Southern Districts (A), Eastwood (H), Manly (H)
Sydney University - Currently 43 points. Southern Districts (H), Gordon (H), Warringah (A), Northern Suburbs (H)
Northern Suburbs - Currently 40 points. Manly (A), West Harbour (H), Eastern Suburbs (H), Sydney University (A)

Not too many easy fixtures above in their respective runs home.

Manly and Eastwood seem to have the top two slots booked. It's anyones guess what the order of the next four will be.

West Harbour on 34 points are probably out of the running for a top 6 finish given that they face: Eastwood (H), Northern Suburbs (H), Parramatta (A), Southern Districts (H).

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hard run hom for the rats should beat Penrith , could upset Manly at home if Gower has gone OS, same with Uni at home , Maybe not the woodies, Possible 3 out of 4 wins.
Anything is possible.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Eastern Suburbs (1-15)
Clay Brodie, Ryan Dalziel, Jake Ilnicki, BJ Edwards, Fergus Lee-Warner, Kyle Baillie, Liam Moylan, Tala Gray, Angus Pulver, Archie King, Tom Merrit, Josh Toole, Charlie Clifton, Liam Faughlin, Cohan Guerra.
Randwick (1-15)
Toa Asa, Peter Nau, Dashville Kuate, Jock Armstrong, Will Munro, Ned Hanigan, Mark Baldwin, Sam Figg, Mitch Short, David Horwitz, Jack Pennington, Henry Hutchinson, Brogan Roods, Latu Latinipalu, Andrew Kellaway.

Gordon v Parramatta
Gordon (1-15)
Aritema Ralulu, James Wilkinson, Lefu Iaopo, Mark Johnson, Andrew Chapman, Jack Dempsey, Luke Papworth, Luke Rissman, Pat Curtin, Will Shirvington, Sione Ala, Tui Tuisavaii, Lucas Simkin, Matt McDougall, Erik Moss.
Parramatta (1-15)
Nick Blacklock, James Holden, Nigel Vaifale, Peter Brush, Andrew Cox, Aisea Namoa, Daniel Tamone, Kura Lalaga, Kaleb Rech, Nathan Langsford, Petero Satogo, Simon Tevita, Feka Silva, Larry Hermens, Chris Nay.

Manly v Northern Suburbs
Manly (1-15)
Dane Maraki, Vance Elliot, Jerome Vaai, Ed Gower, Ryan Melrose, Caydern Neville, Mitch Daniel, Daniel Alley, Matt Lucas, Sam Lane, Alex Notham, John Fakai, Dennis Pili-Gaitau, Richard Hooper, Reece Hodge.
Northern Suburbs (1-15)
Tyron Rota, Will Weeks, Lawrence Hunting, Ben Matwijow, Nick Palmer, Hugh Sinclair, Will Miller, Sape Misa, Mitch Magrath, Josh Kay, Lochie Creagh, James Brown, Jordan Heyer, Richard Woolf, John Porch.

Sydney University v Southern Districts
Sydney University (1-15)
Alastair Ryan, Thomas Coolican, Tomas Robertson, Rohan O’Regan, Matthew Philip, Jake Wainwright, David Hickey, Mitchell Whiteley, Jake Gordon, Stuart Dunbar, Greg Jeloudev, Jim Stewart, Tom Kingston, Mark O’Dare, Angus Roberts.
Southern Districts (1-15)
Salesi Maumalanga, Liam Dwyer, Cameron Betham, Fili Tufui, Andrew Leota, Marcus Carbone, Jono Hayes, Jed Holloway, Waldo Wessels, Ben Volavola, Alex Gibbon, Apolosi Latunipulu, Deny Godinet, Afa Pakalani, Paul Asquith.

Penrith v Warringah
Penrith (1-15)
Emanuele Fuamatu, Samiuela Tuitupou, Ikuna Manuofetoa, Doug Want, Manu Lotoahea, Fonulahi Hector Tapueluelu, Sione Pusi’aki Fifita, Tu’itakau Kioa, Michael Baysaat, David Isopa, Campbell Hislop, Paueli Halafihi, Peniasi Dakuwaqa, Saiosi Vulinaganavou, Paula Makasini.
Warringah (1-15)
Rory O’Connor, Robert Kelly, Wayne Borsack, Sam Crompton, Vincent Wright, James Cunningham, Boyd Killingworth, Sam Ward, Josh Holmes, Hamish Angus, Seb Wileman, Tyson Davis, Chris Arnold, Jamie Forbes, Dave Feltscheer.

West Harbour v Eastwood
West Harbour (1-15)
Michael Ala'alatoa, Daniel Midghall, Cameron Orr, Chris Simons, Tom Games, Nela Manu, Cohen Masson, Matt Coles, Max Beer, Ben James, Tito Mua, Rory Sidey, Joel Brooks, Graeme Kolomalu, Dave Harvey.
Eastwood (1-15)
Jed Gillespie, Hugh Roach, Martin Plokstys, James Neale, Jared Barry, Michael Kovacic, Hugh Perrett, Joey Afualo, Matt Gonzalez, Jai Ayoub, John Grant, Tom Hill, Mike McDougall, Brad Curtis, Ben Batger.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sorry, I don't see how that would work. IMO it would just result in an exodus of players who want to play 1st grade to other clubs, to league or they will give it away as I expect will also happen to the colts if they don't enter a team in colts 1 next year.
You are right there will be some players who leave, Penrith are telling us they have lost 43 players already, so not much will change.
There will a core group who prefer to play for Penrith, what this proposal will do will stop them getting beating by 100 points most weeks while giving them time for the colts to come through and strengthen the club.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You are right there will be some players who leave, Penrith are telling us they have lost 43 players already, so not much will change.
There will a core group who prefer to play for Penrith, what this proposal will do will stop them getting beating by 100 points most weeks while giving them time for the colts to come through and strengthen the club.

The problem is that Penrith have actually gone backwards in the past 10 years. There was a time when their 1st grade and Colts 1 were competitive and while the lower grades weren't as competitive, they weren't getting flogged as has been the case for the past couple of years. I fear that the time for saving Penrith as an entity in the competition has passed.

As I have said previously on this thread and on the NRC thread, a solution would be for Penrith to go back to Kentwell Cup and base an NRC team at Penrith or Campbelltown. (One of the existing ones not a new one)

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Word is that nsw rugby are looking at balmain (6 men's sides with enough colts) to be promoted.
Penrith have gone backwards this past 2 years. Only 2-3 seasons ago they were competitive in ones and twos. We just beat them by 1 in 2's at coogee and we JUST got home. At the time I thought "penrith are on the up". How wrong I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Word is that nsw rugby are looking at balmain (6 men's sides with enough colts) to be promoted.
Penrith have gone backwards this past 2 years. Only 2-3 seasons ago they were competitive in ones and twos. We just beat them by 1 in 2's at coogee and we JUST got home. At the time I thought "penrith are on the up". How wrong I was.

If memory serves me correct, the Emus actually beat the Wicks in 1st grade at Coogee in 2011 or 2012.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Promoting Balmain may remove the 100+ thrashings from Shute Shield competition but one wonders how sustainable that will be, and what would that do for the growth and expansion (or prevention of further contraction) of the game.

Sydney extends to the base of the Blue Mountains, not the M7. Not that many folk attend Shute Shield games in the Northern and Eastern suburbs, but there are plenty of opportunities for Junior, Club, Subbies and School footy in those areas.

If Penrith is dropped to Suburban rugby, what opportunities are there for the talented young athletes living outside the M2, M7, M4 roads, apart from having to travel huge distances, or relocation?

What incentives are there for the Junior Village Clubs to spread the gospel of Saint Billy Webb-Ellis? There is no regular school footy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Not sure if Balmain is the answer though. Before Penrith we had Drummoyne in the competition and they also struggled. Drummoyne is the next suburb to Balmain and had a stronger junior and senior playing tradition (Drummoyne is actually the amalgamation of Glebe and Balmain and was originally known as Glebe-Balmain - they only changed their name to Drummoyne to get on Drummoyne Oval in 1932)

While the current Balmain club are a separate entity, it's not really a growth area and they will face the same issues that beset Drummoyne.

NSWRU really need to go back to the drawing board and think through what to do next. I'd prefer the competition to have one less team next year and get a better result in 2017. IMO it should be in a growth area and it needs to be funded and supported by the NSWRU/ARU and not left to a few overwhelmed volunteers at grass roots level.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Promoting Balmain may remove the 100+ thrashings from Shute Shield competition but one wonders how sustainable that will be, and what would that do for the growth and expansion (or prevention of further contraction) of the game.

Sydney extends to the base of the Blue Mountains, not the M7. Not that many folk attend Shute Shield games in the Northern and Eastern suburbs, but there are plenty of opportunities for Junior, Club, Subbies and School footy in those areas.

If Penrith is dropped to Suburban rugby, what opportunities are there for the talented young athletes living outside the M2, M7, M4 roads, apart from having to travel huge distances, or relocation?

What incentives are there for the Junior Village Clubs to spread the gospel of Saint Billy Webb-Ellis? There is no regular school footy.

Picking up on your theme, Balmain is a road to nowhere (metaphorically speaking).

The NSWRU are going to have to do what the AFL have done with GWS - although on a massively smaller scale of course. They are going to have to fund and run the club in the short term or it will be a repeat of what's happened at Penrith.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Does anyone know how many Balmain players got a run in the Sydney Uni / Balmain NRC team last year? I don't think there were many, in which case they may not be any more competitive in the SS than the Emus are.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Picking up on your theme, Balmain is a road to nowhere (metaphorically speaking).

The NSWRU are going to have to do what the AFL have done with GWS - although on a massively smaller scale of course. They are going to have to fund and run the club in the short term or it will be a repeat of what's happened at Penrith.

I still think the best option for the Shute Shield is to split into two divisions of 8 teams. This would allow Penrith to remain a level above subbies and potentially open the door to some of the more ambitious subbies etc to take the step up.

Yes, players will likely flock to the top 8 but if it is executed correctly it could allow the bottom 8 time to build from the bottom up.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure if Balmain is the answer though. Before Penrith we had Drummoyne in the competition and they also struggled. Drummoyne is the next suburb to Balmain and had a stronger junior and senior playing tradition (Drummoyne is actually the amalgamation of Glebe and Balmain and was originally known as Glebe-Balmain - they only changed their name to Drummoyne to get on Drummoyne Oval in 1932)

While the current Balmain club are a separate entity, it's not really a growth area and they will face the same issues that beset Drummoyne.

NSWRU really need to go back to the drawing board and think through what to do next. I'd prefer the competition to have one less team next year and get a better result in 2017. IMO it should be in a growth area and it needs to be funded and supported by the NSWRU/ARU and not left to a few overwhelmed volunteers at grass roots level.

You want a growth area. Then put in in the Macarthur area. I live in Camden council area with a population of around 80,000. Over the next 15 years that figure is expected to triple. There are new suburbs and towns going up all over. It would be perfect. It's also an area that is underserved with only two clubs for the 230,000 people living here at present. I should also highlight that the Campbelltown area is expected to add another 30-50,000 people in the same timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.