• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So what is Hendrik Tui's status for next season?

From 08/09 the Reds have had a series of great line-breaking backrowers (Houston, Higgers, Samo) but Schatz seems to have regressed since when he first came onto the scene in 2010 and is more of a linkman/grafter.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting isn't it.
Foley and Folau, possibly two of the Waratahs best players, are off to Japanese rugby contracts during the Super 15 off season, but have long term contracts to stay with the Waratahs and receive golden handshakes from the ARU.
Whereas we lose our halves Ginea and Cooper to Europe; the latter because he couldn't get a sufficient payment arrangement to stay with the Reds and ARU.
This royally pisses me off. I'm sure if the ARU had worked hard enough, as they have obviously done for Foley and Folau, an arrangement could have been made. So much for salary caps.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting isn't it.
Foley and Folau, possibly two of the Waratahs best players, are off to Japanese rugby contracts during the Super 15 off season, but have long term contracts to stay with the Waratahs and receive golden handshakes from the ARU.
Whereas we lose our halves Ginea and Cooper to Europe; the latter because he couldn't get a sufficient payment arrangement to stay with the Reds and ARU.
This royally pisses me off. I'm sure if the ARU had worked hard enough, as they have obviously done for Foley and Folau, an arrangement could have been made. So much for salary caps.

Not quite apples and apples.

Genia and Cooper have over 100 Super Rugby caps, 7+ years service, done 2 RWCs and won a title. Not a lot left to achieve, not that that is an excuse and both could have turned there focus to things other than heading OS. But whatever, they have given a lot to Aus rugby.

Foley and Folau to me are where G & C were at the 2011 RWC.

T

TOCC

Unless Kerevi were to switch to outside centre then Tapuai isn't in the starting Reds team, hope he regains his 2011/2012 wallaby form, a change of environments will be good for him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd imagine that Genia and Cooper could have pursued a flexible contract with the ARU more realistically by not signing with Stade Francais and Toulon.

You have to want to stay as your first premise and then work out how to fit in more cash (sorry experience new cultures etc o_O )

I am sure Folau and Foley could have made more cash heading fully overseas as well

Steve Pierce

Stan Wickham (3)
LoLo Fakaosilea signed a 2 year contract in 2014 so he will still be back in 2016. Toulon released an article on them bidding for the youngster just after the reds season closed. Whilst the Chiefs are also keen, having knowing he holds a New Zeland Passport. Read an article on LoLo and the kid seems to be such a humble fella. Loved how he mentioned that the proudest thing that his done was buying a house at only 20years old and keeping it a surprise from his family until they flew to brisbane for his debut. Don't know him very well, but if ARU can keep him in Australia, he will go a long way.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Unless Kerevi were to switch to outside centre then Tapuai isn't in the starting Reds team, hope he regains his 2011/2012 wallaby form, a change of environments will be good for him.

As an outsider, I think Taps at 12 and Kerevi at 13 offers more than (say) Kerevi at 12 and Magnay at 13.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The McDuling move is a strange one. I'm assuming he was still on rookie money at the Reds and the Sharks have seen something they like and offered squad player money, which all things considered probably ain't much more than what he would be getting at the Reds.

He either thinks there's something to be learned at the Sharks he couldn't get in Aus, he wasn't going to be in contention for a starting spot so went, or he just fucking hates the Reds.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Big mistake by Graham and company to not even try the combination of Tapuai and Kerevi.
He never gave Tapuai a chance IMO, after explaining he wanted to play with width this season he chooses a centre combination of Fainga'a and Keveri that have let's be serious next to no passing/playmaking ability. How do you play with width if your centres can't pass.
Earlier this season he opted for F'Sautia and K Hunt still yet to see the width in the game develop.
To me he is a reactive coach and it further shows by his recruitment plan. We can not be a side that competes with a number of rookies in the core squad. The reason why he won't be at the helm of the Reds in 2016.

Big news still to come out in the Quade saga, am hearing the QRU and the soon to be appointed 'coach' are deciding whether to put back an offer to Khodder after Quade expressed interest to the ARU the he wants to stay put. He has also been offered an ARU 'flexy' top up after the World Cup.

Michael Chieka and the ARU are working overtime to keep him in Super Rugby.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting isn't it.

I dont blame Genia for leaving.

By playing in Europe he is assured of a lot of money but more importantly he will have a lot less travelling and will be around his young child which will also keep his wife happy.

I would love for him to stay but am glad that he is smart enough to set himself up for life and to put family first.

He wont be away from family for months at a time on spring tours and weeks at a time to go to SA.

As for Cooper I wonder if the ARU are still pissed at him for criticizing the set up?

Good luck to them both, they are pros and should be given respect for making professional decisions and we as fans should consider ourselves lucky we got to see them play for our team

Status
Not open for further replies.